Snow!

Last night, walking back from work, it was so windy that I was almost blown over a couple of times. This, it turned out, was Storm Arwen, which was battering the UK, and which, if nothing else, proves that there’s at least one Tolkien fan at the Met Office.

This morning the storm has subsided, though as I write it’s still quite windy outside, and in its wake has given us snow! I discovered this when I went outside earlier for my morning ritual, and felt was like a kid again, all excited. There’s something very special about snow, I think. The texture of it on one’s skin, the smell of it in the air, and so on. It brings back so many happy memories, and tells us that winter has finally arrived, which is undoubtedly my favourite season.

The storm has claimed a few lives already… :neutral_face:

No snow here yet… but when it arrives, the cat and I will be out in it,
as when we did when he first saw and experienced snow, a few years ago.

I want it to be so cold, that I have an excuse to wear my salopettes…
and make like I’m on da slopes.

Yes, sadly, it has indeed claimed some lives.

A cat that likes snow? My parents’ cats don’t like it one bit, and very much prefer to stay indoors all winter, just, well, sleeping all the time. And eating.

I checked not long ago and most of the snow on the grass has melted away, unfortunately. Hopefully it’s a sign of more to come, though.

I like the feel of fresh snow crunching under boots, the clean smell of the air, and dry cold ice. Everything turns white and the world looks clean.

Lots of cats like snow, felines have adapted to mountain climates, hence mountain lions and panthers.

And foxes too. We get a lot of those round here.

A foxy devil:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMvXR3xFKSU[/youtube]

magsj, come to denver, it’ll be snowing here soon enough, and if you don’t want to wait, you can drive an hour into the mountains and there’s tons of it, and it’s cold af so you can test all your winter gear.

_
The cat was very intrigued with his first snow experience…
until he realised it was just water in a different guise, lol.
He’s ok with rain, but not storms, and gets mesmerised
by the plants and shrubs swaying in a stormy breeze.

I’ve been toughening-up myself against the cold… global
warming is well and truly curtailed, but now there’s the
rise in ferocious pollen allergies, the warning from the BHF
of the risk of suffering a heart-attack when the weather
goes below 12c… especially now in females, and other such
novel ailments to worry about.

A Lib Dem guy told me, at a by-election in May, that trees
planted in the UK are male and their pollen is much more
potent than female trees… hence the rise in pollen allergies
across the entire country, but he can’t remember why they
use male trees, but there is a reason. :-k

I have to admit that I hadn’t even heard the one about having heart attacks when it’s below 12c. That’s really going to mess with my winter camping trips. Or rather it would do, if I took it seriously. What will they think of next, I wonder?

_
I read it in the British Heart Foundation’s email… sadly, it’s a reality… so many people are succumbing to heart problems, even though they’re healthy-as and even the young.

The article said that people are more likely to, so as long as you’re fuelled-up and wrapped up, you should be fine… I guess Winter isn’t the time to be sticking to keto, huh.

I’ve always been very lucky with my health, and I’m almost never ill, but I suppose it’s too easy to take this for granted.

magsj, patagonia capilene baselayers will change your life

Just came back from Utah, the mountains are all snowed under, back in Calif. found 100 degree weather clashing with the spirit of Xmas that is supposed to be around the corner. It won’t last, but such anomalies is like a slap in the face from mother nature- one can not get sentimental in an atmosphere of worn out semi tropical almost a set , up, as holly wood has few remaining reminders of a wonder land.

Remember the slow swirling snow around the Grey smoke out of chimneys keeping kids warm as the yearn for the day that means present filled socks? Or hay burned in late autumn? None of this here in the city of anxious buyers wrapping their white chrismases within Bing crosby’s reassuring seasonal tune -i’m dreaming of. White Xmas.

Im such a sentimental fool. But grasping at vestiges of memory.

utah is a great place to stare at nature

Yes and let nature stare back.

There was still a bit of snow on the grass this morning, crunchy underfoot. I don’t think it snowed last night. There’s no wind at the moment, and it feels like it might be quite sunny later, which will presumably melt what remains of the snow, though it’s still reasonably cold at the moment, around 0C I would estimate.

Please let me know who’s interested in hearing more regular weather bulletins like this.

Let’s hear it!

Ok, will do.

Are there any snow or ski resorts in the British Isles? They’re really fun, and the air is worth it.

I’ll bear your offer in mind… : )

Is it home for you, for now? I’m thinking of going up to Scotland, to get my snowboarding-fix in.