Best song ever written

The nice thing about progressive metal is that the sounds are much more homogeneous, so the formula becomes clearer.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32htyO1-dvQ[/youtube]

A more advanced example:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHBCPdcCnm8[/youtube]

No, I certainly do not know why octopuses feature so prominently in progressive metal.

In this second example, it is even more clear how each movement reaches for something, grasps for something, seems to imply a resolution, but only leads to another movement that progresses from it, and simply keeps asking questions, and the whole album is a groping, a reaching. So, too, is all progressive rock a groping, a reaching, a joy in the subtleties of melodic-harmonic composition without any actual interest in solving any of its problems.

Take a Bach composition. It is a flurry of melodies and harmonies, a chaos of implications and questions. But he never poses a problem he is not willing to see through to the end, a question he is not willing to answer:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdsyNwUoON0[/youtube]

And that precisely and exactly describes what they were doing.

They took rock to a place where composing excellence and brilliant musicianship were taken to be a premium.

Take a look at the stuf, claimed to be the best 3 songs of 1970 - the best sellers were:

01 Elvis Presley The Wonder Of You
02 Mungo Jerry In The Summertime
03 Freda Payne Band Of Gold

These are good songs but like chewing gum. Popular and temporary.

Let me see if I understand you. My claim is that the genre is called “progressive” to indicate that its artists are trying “to move beyond the established formulas towards something better” or in plain terms “to make better music (i.e. to innovate) instead of merely making music of the same quality (i.e. repeating the same)”. I suppose that’s what you’re disputing. My random guess is that this is a marketing term – perhaps nothing to do with nerds noodling on their guitars. “Progressive” as in “better than the rest” sounds like a pretty good marketing term to me. But you’re saying this is wrong and that the real reason they call it “progressive” is because it lacks overall arc (i.e. moving or progressing forward without any regard for how that progression fits into the bigger picture.) I can see how that can be the case. It’s certainly a very good description of that kind of music (but not merely it.) That would make the term unpretentious but still rather unfitting. (But then, what music genre has a fitting term? None.)

Yes, not only the lack of overall arc, but the specific way one movements leads to another. The relationship between successive movements is progressive. Rather than resolving a movement, the next movement picks elements from it and progresses them.

I think, if you don’t already understand this fairly obscure fact about its composition, your interpretation is the intuitive one and, like I said, I think it was intentionally allowed to stand. It pleased their egos.

Ah, folk music, played by average folks with simple instruments and melodies.

Hahahahaha, folk music composition tends to obliterate pop or classical music in terms of complexity

Few years ago, I posted Kung Fu World Champion. Prom seemed somehwhat intrigued by it (he was far more impressed by the prog metal piece CAFO.) The best part starts at 1:16 – the guy in sweater playing the bass. It certainly helps that one of the members is a female and an expressive one at that.

I think that most people born in 80’s and later have no trouble appreciating both Richard D. James (the Kind of Techno, as some call it) and prog rock. They are pretty similar styles of music with one main difference – one being entirely electronic. Don’t know if he can play an instrument (wouldn’t be surprised if he can’t). I think he’s more of a programmer and an engineer than an actual instrumentalist.

An answer to MA’s last question for an apropos named genre, Folk by folks.

Yeah, yes, I agree. Folk music, what happens when everybody else is trying.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EzRm46Ehho[/youtube]

Exactly.
For me the “music” sounds dead and heartless.
The issue is not whether or not it is electronic.
I was 16 when Kraftwerk made Autobahn. I still listen to it. It might be electronic, but it is performed.
The issue with the thing you posted was that it is not PLAYED. Any moron can program a machine to achive 3000 beats per minute, if they want. But no machine can play drums like Billy Cobham. Try as you might people have tried to get machines to pay with feeling but it never works. Why get a machine to do what a human can do better?
Here’s an example. A Human band can do change the rhythm ad hoc according to the mood.
Watch @10:20
youtube.com/watch?v=SFisOTDzGuE

Techno is dying off. It has a bit surge in the time of acid house, and raves etc. but what kids went back to in the early 2000s was guitar bands. SInce then music has diversified. I suppose techno will continue to serve dance zombies who want to drop a tab and exhaust themselves, but I’d hardly call it music.

And considering diversity in music. Made me think of these darlin’s.
Good old fashioned harmonising.

youtube.com/watch?v=ojYK6CW8gdw

Oh really?
DO you have an example?
:smiley:

More complex than this?
youtube.com/watch?v=MD6xMyuZls0

I am not your daddy.

More complex than this?
OR THIS?

Sculptor

I totally agree with this. With all of the awesome music and sounds out there in the universe, how could we possibly think like this, unless we have never changed or evolved. I can go from loving slow, smooth jazz to Enya, to The Sounds of Silence, to hard rock, soft rock, Pucchini, Debussy, to …

Il Mondo, such a heart-rending beautiful song by Patrizio Buanne)
Hearing this song at the moment of my death - would death really matter. lol

Even the Italian which I do not understand is so beautiful here. I

…they are each my favorite in the moment.

Thanks.
I’ve been listening to and enjoying music a long time. I can only say that my fav is the song of the moment as you say.
My first (that I remember) is this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Zx06XNfDvk0
When I hear this I am almost bodily transported to my childhood to feel the textures of childhood and the world around me. I was four years old.
I know this one was a hit the year before but did not grab so much that it affects me in the same way.
youtube.com/watch?v=8PXWgvDDKxM

Sculptor

That video was not showing . There were two others, females singing, too jazzy for that song for me. I enjoy jazz but ghe song seemed to be ruined for me that way. Maybe one of those women were who you were speaking of.

I personally enjoy more the way Art Garfunkle delivered the song. Seemed to be more pure and simplistic…more something else.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGOSG69kym8[/youtube]

A stick, a stone
It’s the end of the road
It’s the rest of a stump
It’s a little alone

It’s a sliver of glass
It is life, it’s the sun
It is night, it is death
It’s a trap, it’s a gun

The oak when it blooms
A fox in the brush
A knot in the wood
The song of a thrush

The wood of the wind
A cliff, a fall
A scratch, a lump
It is nothing at all

It’s the wind blowing free
It’s the end of the slope
It’s a beam, it’s a void
It’s a hunch, it’s a hope

And the river bank talks
Of the waters of March
It’s the end of the strain
The joy in your heart

The foot, the ground
The flesh and the bone
The beat of the road
A slingshot’s stone

A fish, a flash
A silvery glow
A fight, a bet
The range of a bow

The bed of the well
The end of the line
The dismay in the face
It’s a loss, it’s a find

A spear, a spike
A point, a nail
A drip, a drop
The end of the tale

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light
The shot of a gun
In the dead of the night

A mile, a must
A thrust, a bump
It’s a girl, it’s a rhyme
It’s a cold, it’s the mumps

The plan of the house
The body in bed
And the car that got stuck
It’s the mud, it’s the mud

Afloat, adrift
A flight, a wing
A hawk, a quail
The promise of spring

And the riverbank talks
Of the waters of March
It’s the promise of life
It’s the joy in your heart

A stick, a stone
It’s the end of the road
It’s the rest of a stump
It’s a little alone

A snake, a stick
It is John, it is Joe
It’s a thorn in your hand
And a cut in your toe

A point, a grain
A bee, a bite
A blink, a buzzard
A sudden stroke of night

A pin, a needle
A sting, a pain
A snail, a riddle
A wasp, a stain

A pass in the mountains
A horse and a mule
In the distance the shelves
Rode three shadows of blue

And the riverbank talks
Of the waters of March
It’s the promise of life
In your heart, in your heart

A stick, a stone
The end of the road
The rest of a stump
A lonesome road

A sliver of glass
A life, the sun
A knife, a death
The end of the run

And the riverbank talks
Of the waters of March
It’s the end of all strain
It’s the joy in your heart
[/quote]
Reminds me of brilliant diamonds cascading down a beautiful waterfall. One can almost close his/her eyes and meditate on that song. Many things spoken of which people do not always take notice of or think of. It really is a beautiful song. Gives me the shivers.

Beautiful!

That is a shame
[size=100]Luciana Souza[/size]
Has the perfect voice.

Sculptor,

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJNF_78_TnQ[/youtube]

That’s nice. Something about her voice sounds a little melancholic or sad to me.
She does have a very pretty voice and I absolutely love that background jazzy music.

I think her voice and words are very expressive.

This is Iain Anderson of Jethro Tull.
He was famous for being unique for singing, and playing the flute on one leg.

An alternative to standard Prog Rock he brought English Folk into Rock Music…
youtube.com/watch?v=z_BtPxZEwiQ

They were great live, but here’s the studio version if you like perfection.
youtube.com/watch?v=z4UYX2q … rt_radio=1