Deep Economics

I’m going to post interesting articles, focusing on Economics.

Right now I’m reading stuff that debunks the Thomas Piketty book, which I’m almost done with… It’s huge…

Here is one:
Challenging the Empirical Contribution of Thomas Piketty’s Capital in the 21st Century

Another one:
Mr. Piketty’s Big Book of Marxiness

The first one is more focused on showing the flaws with the economics, and is very economic… Jonah’s is better written, and more Political Sciency…

Jonah Goldberg should be required reading for any hard leftist who wants to know who they are with respect to the rest of the world.

I disagree. Jonah Goldberg should be required reading for everyone. Along with Thomas Sowell and Saul Alinsky.

Saul Alinsky thrown in because he does his best to say exactly what Jonah says, but does so as though it is a good thing. He is amazing for understanding how the left works, but not what they believe.

I think a lot of this talk is missing the point…we need a balance between liberal and conservative thinking …not either or…
big money is buying both parties…that is not good for either party …
what do you think pipe…

Liberal and Conservative are not limited to parties. The only thing that is limited to parties is politicians. And politicians are human, and have the goal of being reelected, presumably so they can keep politicianing things.

Money is simply a tool. Attempting to limit tool access based on arbitrary measures is a waste of time. Limiting politicians however is actually useful. That would also require limiting the abilities of the government. The first thing bought and sold, if government controls buying and selling, is the government. (paraphrased from PJ O’Rourke)

But that’s not really my goal with this thread, which is to post Economic things. The deeper ends of Economics…

The three controls of every government are;
1) Money (economics)
2) Medicine (health)
3) Media (mind)

By controlling one (money), the others are within reach. By controlling any two, the third is assured. By controlling all three, one becomes a god.

Such has been known for thousands of years and has been the aspiration of every middle eastern religion. As of 1913’s formation of the FED, (1) was accomplished in the USA. The formation of the AMA was the second. In 1980, the third was established. You now live in a totally controlled society wherein the economics is merely a stage play to suit the ambitions and purposes of others who are well outside your reach, purview, and judgment.

I find it interesting that Piketty calls the income inequality caused by capitalism “arbitrary”. I don’t see how anybody who knows what a free market is could consider the winners or losers to be arbitrarily chosen- they are chosen by something enormously complex, but still systematic. It seems like a problem with left economics is that it things wealth would be distributed by criteria that have nothing to do with economics- why isn’t this good person wealthy, why isn’t that smart person wealthy, why is somebody I think is mean wealthy.

That’s a good clip.

well, looks like Jonah’s article aged like a fine turd.

Also a lot of his counterarguments are incorrect.

Resurrecting zombie thread.