Free Cosmetic Surgery

Should cosmetic surgery and treatments be paid for by medicare/medicaid? For example, bald men get free cutting edge hair replacements or women get facelifts to feel better?

_
Don’t they have that non-invasive thread thing procedure these days that has replaced face lifts, that pull the brow and forehead up… but anyway, onto my reply.

No!

No.
In the UK there are free services available but they are offered on the basis of psychological criteria, and tend to be used for surgeries limited to sever disfigurment ;gender reasignment ; breast surgery following cancer treatments ;Nose treatments to help breathing ;breast reductions for back problems and male breast removal in rare cases where men grow tits.

I would imagine the medicare etc, or whatever insurance scams the American health care “system” is running would offer the same sort of thing.

I tend to divide cosmetic surgery into two groups: the kind that improves one’s psychological outlook(facelift) and the kind that improves one’s physical quality of life(repairing a nose so a person can breathe as is essential).

Sculptor, your nationally provided free cosmetic surgeries covers both kinds, the psychological and the necessary physical?

Sculptor and Mags, why don’t you think that all psychologically enhansing cosmetic surgeries should be provided free if it helps the person?

What about free (government provided) laser eye surgeries so everyone who the treatments could help could have 20/20 vision or much improved vision? Seeing well is a physical necessity.

Another physical necessity is having teeth to chew food and there are the full sets of teeth implants that would help people both psychologically (improved appearance) as well as the physical ability to eat again that could help millions upon millions, people could get all their teeth removed and have perfect teeth implanted that would cut down on all sorts of teeth related medical/dental visits, upkeep, and procedures. Free dental implants for everyone and most of the dental industry could be shuttered. Well?

Sorry but I do not think butt-cheek implants, lip implants, and purely cosmetic surgery for the promotion of a person’s vanity is worth wasting money on.
There is no open cheque to change people’s looks.
But if it means saving a person’s sanity then I’m all for supporting that.

The NHS provides that, but supply is limited. SIght saving procedures are funded fairly well. Normally this is only available when ordinary corrective means such as glasses are not working.
For example cataracts can be treated for free.

Dental is free up to age 18. Beyond that NHS services for dental work are mostly in the support of other problems such as oral cancer, and trauma.
The NHS will provide any clinically necessary treatment needed to keep your mouth, teeth and gums healthy and free of pain.

I assume you mean “shattered”. DUh. Obviously NOT.
If dental implants were offered free this would represent a MASSIVE boost for the dental industry.
You need to check your basic thinking here.

ask gop guy rick scott

_
I had typed a reply up yesterday, only to lose the whole post when close to posting, so… here I go again.

Because the service can be abused… as started happening here, when many realised that they could get free boob jobs if they cried enough crocodile tears. Genuine cases for corrective surgery, I’m sure anybody would be ok with that.

I do think that laser eye surgery should be made available on the NHS… currently it is not. Having to struggle through life with poor vision that could easily be corrected, is insane/inane.

Again, yes… such corrective dental procedures should be made available on the NHS, especially where long-term and chronic illnesses have caused dental problems… which they do.

I’ve had free dental on the NHS for that reason.
But in need you can get help with dental costs in any event.
nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentist … l-charges/
It can be hard to find a dentist who will take you on since the NHS do not pay them much.
But there are not allowed to deny free treatment to under 18

i think that if someone is burned in a horrible accident, or has serious sinus issues and those people could be helped by a plastic surgeon then sure. but as much as it pains me to say it, i don’t think society should have to pay for people to get fake tits. that’s what sugar daddies and carecredit are for. i do think that it ought not be a luxury in america for people to have good teeth.

in America, trying to get insurance to pay for the basic’s is hard enough…

for example, my new hearing aid… it costs around $2500 bucks…as I only
need one, I escape the additional $2500 for the second one…

I need a hearing aid to hear… simple as that, no hearing aid, no hearing…
I cannot get that hearing aid through any public means, I must go through
my insurance… they might, might pay $800 and that is if I am lucky…
last time they refused to pay on some bogus grounds and I was left with a $1500 dollar
hearing aid that I had to pay for…this is quite common…even for glasses,
which for some reason, is deemed to be more important… I still pay a large chunk of
the costs…so screw people who want cosmetic surgery when I can’t even get
the cost of my hearing aid covered…which is not only a basic, but a necessity…

communication requires, demands one to have hearing… Helen Keller who
was both blind and deaf, said that being blind isolates a person from things,
being deaf isolates a person from people…and I can attest to this…

Kropotkin

12 years ago I was diagnosed with stage four neck cancer.
As a resident of the UK I got cancer treatment that included 2 surgeries, 6 weeks radiothereapy and 5 weeks of chemo. This also included consutation with a voice therapist, numerous consultations, biopsies, MRI. PET scans. etc… A range of drugs was prescribed such as anti-emetics, antacids, painkillers.Dressings for the radiation burns .
THe only thing I had to pay for was $10 for the prescriptions, and parking.
Now having a “pre-existing” condition I could never afford to buy insurance in the US so can never return.
Do I care about never being able to live in the US again?? Fuck no.

US medicine sucks.

Maybe you should take a holiday in Mexico or Canada for while?
When I lived in LA several people I knew used to drive to Mexico to get their teeth done

This issue makes me think that Americans are backwards people in many cases.
The old argument was that the white man was strait and the natives were backwards.
But now the USA folks have some serious problems that aren’t being faced properly.

Certainly the truth.

:-"

It serves the centre to keep the populace dumb so as to more easily control them.
Americans beleive…

…40% in Noah’s ark and the creation of the world in seven days.

…That America is the greatest country on earth yet only about 40% have a passport. IN 1991 it was only 10%. And only 90million have ever gone abroad.

There seems to be an epidemic of climate denial and antivaxxers - Americans are the prime movers of these fallacies.

macleans.ca/society/why-ame … ignorance/

Americans flock to the belief in that private enterprise is the best way to deliver health care almost religiously.

And like all members of a flock they get fleeced and eventually wind up dead.

Sometimes there’s a waiting list to join, due to dental surgeries having maximum capacity of patients. The walk-in ones are best, as you just have to wait until it’s your turn, without requiring an appointment.

Only dental surgery I had, was all my wisdom teeth pulled out due to overcrowding… my head looked like an over-pumped football, for weeks after. :neutral_face:

Had a leg cast for a fracture, and some stitches… but they’re not really surgery.

magsj in the US if you break your leg and have a cast and stitches it’s gonna be like 20 grand at least and quite possibly substantially more.

I held on to my wisdoms teeth for years. LIke a fool I kept putting off the inevitable. One was too dredful to keep. It stuck out slightly and I used to rest a short piece of wood on it with the other end on the table top and letting the weight of my head press the tooth back was able to get some relief. The last one came out when I was about 38. The dentist (a dear friend from 6thform) had to cut it into three, as it was so impacted, and fish out all the twisted roots. That was a major relief.

The plaster cast and the stitches were administered on two separate occasions… so an X-ray, plaster cast, and a shot of morphine cost 20k in America… they’re taking you guys for joke brar.

The insurance company, hospital, and pharmaceutical company, are probably all owned by the same conglomerate… parasite?

No love for you guys… even when your ill or dying, huh?

The level of stupidity is what worries me most.
A few years ago the private/public debate was raging across both side of the pond.
An article appeared in a US Newspaper saying that if Stephen Hawkins had been British he’d have never got the help he did with his condition. Because his voice sim had an American accent the journalist had assumed wrongly he was also American.
The fact is, of course that Stephen Hawking got all his treatments free on the NHS, being British, and would have soon been denied complete treatments in the US, were he American, unless he was very rich as the insurance payments would have been (ahem!) “crippling”.