Who Convinced You?

• Joker: All actions are selfish
  • Cyrene: Selflessness exists
  • Neither (elaborate below)
0 voters

Joker v. Cyrene

Debate
Challenge

Where does one go for a judge on matters? To an opinion–to babble or to fact?

That human body system which must acquire something from the environment, process that which it has acquired for a product that sustains and promotes the life of the body.

Now, if Man is not Man, then one can say selfless,
If one says that Man is Man, then, by definition, all actions are selfish–whether they appear to be or not.

See Plato on appearance and reality.

All actions are selfish - there is always gain to be had from every thing we do: be it subconsciously or otherwise! :wink:

I think any action could be construed to be either selfish of selfless given variances in context. Cyrene put up the better argument in my opinion. But I don’t necessarily think that that means Joker was wrong.

Define self.

The thing which I consider as being seperate from the other things which aren’t essentially me.

A selfless act is an act which benefits an other at the selfs expense, aka altruism.

A selfish act is one which takes advantage of the cooperative aspects of a group for self advantage, rather than group advantage.

illusory dichotomy

they describe one thing along a continuum, and thus no action is purely selfless or purely selfish

absolutes are nonsense because they are impossible, just as both 0 and 100% are impossible when decimals span indefinitely, as they conceivably do

and if you do not think infinity surrounds you, look again, this time up and away from yourself

everything in degrees, my friends, in shades and subtle hues

am i even supposed to be participating in this?

o well