Jackson, Jordan, Tyson, anyone
im just a bridge on a canyon.

Yo,

Promethean has a fire up my ass

Extinguished by brittle glass

Walking the talk is how we do it here

Some say the end times are near

What’s left of you when it comes ?

Hopefully you’re not just young, dumb and full of cum.

Yo.

Yo,

Black tourmaline to make a scene

Of the spirits who trusted me

We’re going to get this done

I’m not the only one

You see what it is now

I’m explaining this shit how

Once you come to understand

You’ll be my best friend again

Yo.

Yo,

Piano babies and porcelain dreams

Music boxes are in our streams

What do you think it’s about now?

Coca Cola and fat Buddha’s ?

Rub my belly for luck, I’m an evil genie.

Outsmart me and I’ll be yours.

There are so many doors and so many chores.

What you do with it can make you legit.

I’m here to ask you, did you suckle a tit?

Once you see the vastness of all, you’ll realize existence is small

It’s you who has to be big

Yo.

Yo,

Prostitutes fucking whores.

It’s a really bad plan.

I’ve seen the shit a person can.

What you have for me is blasphemy.

I’m going to challenge all you see.

As Whitey said, “I’ve seen the good side of bad and the down side of up and everything between”

Yo. You. Have no clue what I can do to you.

That is a threat. If you get in my way of making existence perfect, you will wish you were never born.

And it will never come true. You’ll still be here.

So here’s the deal. If you fuck with my job, all jokes aside … I have the power to do things to you that you can’t even comprehend as you’re reading this.

You think it’s all just rainbows and flowers?

Think about Jesus being angry at you and multiply it times a billion. All the enlightened masters at once sending you to hell. These are not the people you want to piss off.

When you have hell beings sending you to hell. That’s pretty bad. When you have enlightened beings sending you to hell… it’s beyond your comprehension how bad it is.

I know this shit because I suffered it personally.

So lay a beat to that.

Sorry, I get unhinged sometimes.

Hell is not my technique. Fucking with you is.

My demonic side can possess anyone in existence.

But it’s a two way street. Anyone in existence can possess me.

The way you survive this is to be smart.

The power of your story, the power of your mind and heart.

Making a new plan for existence and being forged in hell has saved my ass many times.

For better or worse, this is what you get from a being forged in hell like mine.

Have you tried rapping those over a beat, Ecmandu? The syllables are super irregular (not a criticism, I’m partial to wordy and overstuffed raps). Also seems like I’m missing some of the rhyme scheme, not sure if there are meant to be internal rhymes or if I’m just not following the way it lines up with a beat.

Also, why do you say “yo” so much? (this one is a criticism, but intended constructively :slight_smile:

Yo is just a “I’m starting this, pay attention, listen”

It’s old school.

As a good composer, it’s extremely easy for me to set this to beats.

Songs can easily go from 2/4 time to 5/4 time… it actually makes it more interesting that way.

You have 2 choices… you can cram shit together to keep the same beat, or you can pause and change the time signature.

I’m glad you asked me this Carleas.

Did you have music in mind when you wrote them? I’d love to hear these if you’ve recorded them.

I was always pretty good at writing poetry in regular meter, but I’ve found that skill doesn’t transfer to rap very well. It ends up sounding wooden and forced. Trying to record a rap gave me a huge appreciation of ‘flow’ that I (embarassingly) didn’t really get before. One of those unknown-unknowns of talent.

No, no. I can’t rap worth shit. My voice box doesn’t work that way. I mean, maybe I can convey what I’m doing to a real rapper so they can take it from there!

As a composer though…

I know how to construct. I guess I’d be a producer.

The thing about changing time signatures is that it adds so much versatility to what otherwise would be wooden as you stated.

Sculptor can make that as a rap. I know how to do it.

That’s what record producers do, they have an ear for the metronome … they have an ear for instrumentation.

I was always pretty good at flow, but have had a lot of trouble to learn attitude.
A producer friend and me once set up a few criteria for what makes a good rapper.

Flow and attitude were basically at the top of the list.

Anyway here is a track I made using these 4 very short lines I wrote above, strictly for flow.
soundcloud.com/taurusvision/my-posse

The syllable game changed with the advent of “mumble rap” or trap-rap, which all follows basically that same meter Ive used above.
It’s almost like rap becomes more alike ancient, Homeric poetry with its very fixed schema.

It is surprisingly inspiring to keep to this meter. It probably didn’t come to prominence randomly.

My flow is pretty weak, but improving with practice. Not sure what you mean by attitude, but Mags called my delivery “aggy” so I think I might have some of that? Maybe the bar is just low because of the contrast with my voice.

I can’t stand mumble rap, though I can see the appeal. I’m an elitist, I like college rap with lots of words, college words, about big college ideas. I think mumble rap is a kind inevitable part of rap’s movement towards more and more musical forms, away from its roots of centering words over no or very simple beats. Mumble rap replaces words with voice-like noises, autotuned to make a melody, with highly produced, layered beats. The words aren’t the point, though you can find them if you want. In some ways, it’s like a modern take on opera.

I feel like I’m talking myself into it.

Indeed you have… you definitely 'bring it’! a nice style and delivery.

Pity this ain’t going to happen… young Paro would be quite lyrically-impressive, I’d say

A real pity.

Ha, would be great. I didn’t like it for 10 years and then tried to write in its form and kind of got addicted. Thats very recent, a year ago or so. I wrote all that early stuff in Pedro’s thread, ill see if I can dig some of it up and repost it here.

In the meantime Im curious what you think of this track, its just one ‘mumble’ verse and indeed, musicalized - I think Im evolving though.
soundcloud.com/taurusvision/my-posse

I started rapping at 20, since I am radically intellectual obviously I got a kick out of using words and phrases from classical antiquity and astrophysics and what not but I was still always pretty close to the earth in the sense of using metaphors that you can smell, theses that stir the blood, rather than trying to impress people with my vocabulary as many kids were doing - I preferred to play with very flesh and blood terms and themes but give them a philosophical slant.

By the way here’s my first English text, from 2014.

[tab]BY THE HEAD OF ZEUS
WHAT IS THIS ABUSE?
WINNERS DRAWN INWARD
LOSERS ON THE LOOSE
IVE BEEN SINNING
BEEN LIVING IN A FICTION
EVADING ALL THE FRICTION
OF SOCIETAL REWARD
I GOT DICTION
BUT I GOT NO DICTIONARY
WHAT’S WHAT I DON’T GIVE A FUCK
TOM AND JERRY ON THE ROCKS
SIPPING IT A GULP AT A TIME
CULPABLE RHYMES
CUL-DE-SAC CRIME
FUCK YOU NIGGA
FUCK YOU WHITE MAN
FUCK YOU CHINAMAN
FUCK ALL YALL NIGGAS
BLACK BLACK BLACK
CRIME CUL DE SAC
BLACK BLACK STATUE
MARBLE WHITE RAPSHEET
MARVELIZED BATSHIT
INSANITY CAVE
FAT FAT NELLIES IN THE GALLERIA
I GOT MY NASDAC CREDIT
IN THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY
RALLY OF THE WHITE MAN
MILLION MAN MARCH
CLOAK AND DAGGERS SCEMES
ON THE FIFTEENTH OF MARCH
BY THE HEAD OF ZEUS
PUNISH THIS ABUSE
BY THE HEAD OF ZEUS
PUNISH THIS ABUSE
BY THE HEAD OF ZEUS
PUNISH THIS ABUSE
BY THE HEAD OF ZEUS
PUNISH THIS ABUSE
BY THE HEAD OF ZEUS
BY THE HEAD OF ZEUS!!![/tab]

I posted a bunch of his rap lyrics a year and a half ago, I might as well link that here. Maybe someone can rap it for him and battle me.

ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop … 0&t=195369

Thank you Mags! When do we get to hear yours?

Sounds professional, reminds me of the cooler music my brother’s always trying to get me to listen to. Again, definitely not my style so I’m not well placed to judge it within that genre, but sounds like the genre.

Really? That’s remarkable. I havent ever heard such a chorus in this genre or another.

I dont feel like it was meant as a compliment so I won’t take it as such if you dont mind.

Bitterness ouch
Finnigans level of head on the couch
liberty’s head on the ground
fidgeting men in the pound
belligerent men on the prowl
serenades come as they howl
ministers inside the edifice scowl
looking outside at the plow
looking outside at the cows
circumspect never to rouse
the anger of mickey the mouse
mickey the mouse in the house