Home technology and app stores..

_
A thread to discuss all things ‘home tech’ and ‘applications’ etc.

I started this thread, from wondering whether YouTube… and other similar high-download apps, were available in other app stores, besides Google Play Store?

Google Play Services is really pieing me off, but Google media apps won’t work without it, and the app is now at a bloated half-a-gigabyte… what the f is it doing, to be of that immense size? :confused:

_
…can the Google Drive app, be sent to Google Drive, so stored in its own self?

…or the iCloud app to iCloud, the Samsung Cloud app to Samsung Cloud…?

Is an experiment in order, to settle this inquiry? Could the outcome result in a lemniscate end… in forever being locked in a symbiotic relationship of no way back out. :-s

It depends on what you are downloading to - which kind of device –
“Alternative app download sites”

And Google Drive and iCloud are merely storage methods (for others to pry into) - similar to a hard disc. It doesn’t matter what you are storing - as long as it isn’t politically disfavored. :smiley:

you can get the .apk and store it as a file but i don’t think you can install and run it on google drive

can you like clear the cache or something?

That aspect of the matter, is inconsequential, due to being expected… as par for the ‘download’ course of action, to be taken.

LoL

…but can a ‘cloud’ app, be (hypothetically) sent to and stored in, itself?

…the second inquiry was… can a ‘cloud’ app be stored in its own ‘cloud’ creation? or would it create an error message of ‘not allowed’? so as to avoid some sort of invisible ‘prime directive’ of Apps.

If that (permanently) worked, I wouldn’t be here in this thread, right now… the app installs Google apps at will, (re)installs uninstalled apps, and does what it bloody well wants.

I’ve switched off all its ‘allowed’ permissions, and as long as I don’t clear the cache, it won’t do any of the above… but the minute I do, it does.

This is a matter of integrity, not a whine… making the Google Play apps not work without the Play Services app obviously stops the User from being able to delete or even disable it… they think they’re so clever. :angry:

I don’t see why that is a question. An app is merely a file that CAN BE operated by a device. Anything that can store a file can store an app. To run the app - a device must be used - such as your iphone. The iphone is what is running the app. I don’t think an iPhone can be stored in an iPhone - but a file/app can be stored anywhere (unless they don’t like you).

TMUI… are you intentionally missing the point I’m trying to make/inquire about?

One more try… a ‘storage/cloud’ app, might have a prime directive that disallows it from storing itself, because it is the doorway to its-self. That may not be the case, but this is a thought experiment and here, ILP, after-all.

I tend to test the limits and abilities of my apps… blame it on my time spent programming at college and my inquisitiveness, regardless of the app being a ‘command’ file… the ‘cloud’ doesn’t allow everything to be stored in itself, after-all.

what’s wrong with google play services? just that it’s taking up too much space? i have samsung s20 ultra w/ 128gb and it shoots 8k video, but can only store it to the phone not to the sd card. so the space on the phone fills up pretty fast and i move them over. i also went though and moved all the apps that it would allow to the sd card which freed up a ton of space. pandora, ebay a bunch of them will run off the sd card so maybe you can do something like that and then google play services taking up so much space wont matter as much?

It’s the integrity of the matter, or did you miss that part of my (very short) post… not that it’s a long post or anything. :neutral_face:

That app is a bully app, and is changing settings without permissions even being on… if you see nothing wrong with that so be it… for you, but not for me.

Now leave me to my thread and my woes.

What do you mean by “doorway to it-self”? The iCloud - as far as I know - stores a backup of all of your device’s apps (including anything associated with iCloud - especially those), automatically updates apps, and allows re-installment when needed.

The app isn’t what allows you to use iCloud. You have to have an iCloud ID. That ID keeps your loads distinct from any others. If you are worried about somehow creating an iCloud ID inside an existing ID - forget it. The ID assignment programs are owned and run exclusively by Apple (and the CCP) and not any part of any iCloud app. I think you can still use iCloud.com to get an ID. You don’t get an ID from your device or the iCloud.

Your car doesn’t make its own keys.

What doesn’t it allow?

And Google Play makes substantial money by having total access to everything in your phone - if you have ever used them even once - “permission already granted”.

Take your mind back to simpler times, when these oh so essential apps did not even exist. How did you survive without them?
So what are these apps that you want, and have you thought about using a non Google source to do the same job?

It’s apps that I don’t want that’s the problem! - I will be using a non-Google source to do the same job, soon… maybe iPhone or some other brand that doesn’t require Google, to be functional. There is now a whole array of iPhones to choose from, like there are Samsungs… which I currently have and dislike, out of sheer principle.

I came across this:

How can I avoid Google?

Here’s how to quit Google:

STEP ONE: Switch Search Engines. …
STEP TWO: Stop Using the Chrome Browser. …
STEP THREE: Delete your Gmail account. …
STEP FOUR: Dump Android. …
STEP FIVE: Delete all Google apps from your iPhone. …
STEP SIX: Purge other Google hardware. …
STEP SEVEN: Don’t use Waze or Nest Products.
STEP EIGHT: Don’t visit the house of anyone with Nest Products or Google Home
STEP NINE: Don’t email anyone with a Gmail account
STEP TEN: Don’t call or text anyone who has an Android phone
STEP ELEVEN: Don’t use the web
__
Congratulations!

Google is not currently collecting data on what you’re doing—at least as far as we know. Not exactly “a click away,” but OK.

You’re also living like it’s 1986. Let’s see how many days you can keep living life without using or coming in contact with a Google product.

The serious point in all of this is that no one should ever take Google at its word when it says that using their products and services is entirely optional and users can easily switch at any time. Fact is, Google services are dominant and ubiquitous—it’s virtually impossible to avoid them in modern life.

:laughing:

…auto-updates/back-ups are fine… but not of Google apps, unauthorised installing of Google Photos/TV/YT-Music etc. not ok! they ain’t even on my wish-list, nor are they essential to the functionality of the IOS whatsoever in any way shape or form.

Lol

My iPad doesn’t do what it wants, like my phone has been doing… it’s very perturbing and violating my privacy, to say the least.

…it doesn’t back-up (probably)-independent apps that I’ve purchased, but those can be reinstalled via an App Store.

I limited permissions and access and Google reversed them, so I shut them down some more and that’s when Google Play Services started acting of its own accord/under its own instruction.

[size=85]This thread ain’t solely about that though, but of on-going tech info & insights. [/size]

If you have ever even once downloaded from Google Play Store - you are now merely a user of Google’s phone. Google has total control over that phone - even when you think it is turned off. It is designed to be a spy device (all phones are). There is no recourse for that phone.

_
7. Your e-mail address, is definitely worth a read.

Nine things you should never search for on Google, according to Reddit
indy100.com/viral/never-sea … 2657282252

Beware! Redditors have put together a brief list of things that you really shouldn’t Google.

They are mostly things that are quite gross, some of which we filtered out because they’re simply too NSFW, but some of them are for your own good.

Be warned that if you do choose to search for the things on the below list, they may not have pleasant results.

_
Top 10 Mobile Brands in the World

SAMSUNG. A big name in phone companies, has emerged as one of the top mobile brands in the world. …
APPLE. It is one of the most premium mobile brands in the world. …
HUAWEI. It’s one of the wide-ranging smartphone brands in the world. …
XIAOMI. …
OPPO. …
VEVO. …
MOTOROLA. …
LENOVO. …
LG. …
NOKIA.

_
SAMSUNG SMARTPHONES WILL LEAVE ANDROID BEHIND

According to a recent report, Samsung may be preparing itself for a future where its smartphones will no longer run Android OS. Instead, it will run a new operating system that’s been in development in Google’s laboratories for a few years. If you’ve been following, then you probably know… yes, we’re talking about Fuchsia. Earlier this year, it came to light that Samsung has contributed to Fuchsia’s development. Now, a new report suggests that Samsung may have gone a few steps forward and decided to leave Android behind. The company will work to make Fuchsia its alternative over Android, but that may be still a few years away.

_
Sustainable phone shopping…