Kenosis

Self-Emptying

Less Is More
Sunday, December 13, 2020
Third Sunday of Advent

Have among yourselves the same attitude that is also yours in Christ Jesus,
who, though he was in the form of God,
did not regard equality with God something to be grasped.
Rather, he emptied himself,
taking the form of a slave,
coming in human likeness;
and found human in appearance,
he humbled himself,
becoming obedient to death,
even death on a cross. (Philippians 2:5–8)

Kenosis, which means “letting go” or “self-emptying,” is clearly the way of Jesus. My spiritual father Saint Francis of Assisi lived kenosis passionately, and it is key to my own teaching. I believe all great spirituality is about letting go. Yet many associate letting go with Buddhism more than with Christianity. Sadly, Christianity seems to have become more about “saving your soul” or what some now call “spiritual capitalism.”

Francis of Assisi (1182–1226) profoundly understood this Gospel reversal. He let go of his life in the upper class and joyfully lived in solidarity with those at the bottom, especially the sick and the poor. But you and I have grown up with a capitalist and individualistic worldview, not a Gospel or Franciscan worldview. That doesn’t make us bad or entirely wrong. But it has severely limited our spiritual understanding—and Christianity’s power to transform culture and history. We tend to think that “more for me” is naturally better. South African Dominican writer Albert Nolan viewed our Western crisis of meaning with clarity:

In our consumer culture, even religion and spirituality have very often become a matter of addition: earning points with God, attaining enlightenment, producing moral behavior. Yet authentic spirituality is not about getting, attaining, achieving, performing, or succeeding—all of which tend to pander to the ego. It is much more about letting go—letting go of what we don’t need anyway, although we don’t know that ahead of time.

The great Dominican mystic Meister Eckhart (1260‒1328) said, “God is not found in the soul by adding anything, but by a process of subtraction.” [2] True spiritual wisdom reveals that less is more. Jesus taught this, and the holy ones always discover it in one way or another. Think of the Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela, Dorothy Day, and the generations of nuns, friars, and monks who intentionally took a “vow of poverty.” I did so myself in 1965.

Sadly, like so many things that we call Christianity, we find that if we scratch right beneath the surface, it isn’t very much of Christianity; it’s just our local religious culture. Thankfully, there is a real longing today to clarify what is of Christ, what is essential Gospel, and what is historical or denominational accident.

Richard Rohr’s Daily Meditation
From the Center for Action and Contemplation

Buddhism has a term for this concept as well…

They call it “spiritual materialism”; something to overcome.

And Paul goes on to assert:

The two passages taken together, symbolically I take to mean that Paul is exhorting the reader to adopt the attitude of self-sacrificial love that the Christ enacted in his incarnation and crucifixion because it is the highest possible value a human life can achieve.

This is perhaps the first time when I am seeing this concept in Christianity.

I tried to search it on the net but found nothing much available there except the defferent definitions and the example of Jesus. There is no explanation/details available how exactly one can practice kenosis.

As far I understand the issue, merely giving up worldly things is not enough. Something must be missing here.

With love,
Sanjay

Sunyata-emptiness is extremely relevant to the Christian concept of the four dimensions of God’s Kenosis – Its relation to creation, its dynamic of love, its relation to the word of God and its trinitarian structure. According to Nagarjuna, Sunyata is not nothingness, but it is truth or absolute reality of things or suchness (tathata) of the Universe. Sunyata – emptiness is not being as distinguished from beings, nor is it a transcendent God distinguished from this world, nor is it nothingness distinguished from the somethingness of ordinary life. It is not to be found outside oneself, nor is it to be found inside oneself. If it were any of these things, or if it were found in any particular place, it would be a relative emptiness, not ultimate reality.
thehillstimes.in/featured/s … nd-buddha/

Some ideas are like parasites.
Like a virus.

Being free of those, can take a lot of time and effort.

All Ken knows is it’s not kenosis.

John Paul II, Encyclical letter Fides et Ratio (September 14, 1998) #93

vatican.va/content/john-paul … ratio.html