The Meaning of Horns in Religious Scripture and Ritual

In Christian religion, horns are usually interpreted as being an attribute of wickedness. The devil wears horns, etc - the inverted pentagram as “the horned one”, the goat.

In Judaism, the Messiah is said to have horns.

In many Pagan religions, horns are are sign of potency.

Potency can be interpreted as Chaos. In that it is able to disrupt standing structures. It can also add to them, but only on its own terms.

A cigar is just a cigar you fuckwit.

The quote is: Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, you badly hidden stretchmark.

Thats not the point though. All cultures emphasize the importance of horns. Its not something I introduced into the world.

Back to snapchat with you.

Now see me being a pragmatist I would be more concerned with whether or not horns served to make private and public transportation safer. Concerns like; what is the proper volume for a horn, how is the horn activated and is this easily accessible by the vehicle operator.

It seems to me that we should be much more focused on these issues rather than the significance of horns in religion. They didn’t even have cars back then, so there is no legitimate reason to examine horns’ significance. It would be like wondering how meaningful toaster ovens were to the Mayans.

Only if a dude blew some kind of horn from one of those chariots or something back then, would there be a legitimate concern for the use, function and meaning of the horn as it relates to the lives and safety of the roman citizens, in which case I might contribute to this ghastly thread.

Next up: feeling horny in religious scripture and ritual.

In the Bible, horns often symbolize power, expressing domination of the weak (Ezekiel 34:21), the power of destruction (Zechariah 1:18–21), and deliverance from oppression (1 Kings 22:11; 2 Chronicles 18:10). The seven horns of the Lamb of God represent His infinite power (Revelation 5:6).

Please stop this kind of posting.
Fixed Cross is not a fuckwit, and even if he was, it’s no use criticizing him for it.
It’s not like people go one day and say:
“Hmm, ive made a choice. I want to be a fuckwit.”

And insulting it doesn’t make it go away or get any better.

Really now.

Right - would not the proper Christ, in as far as he is savior and deliverer, be wearing horns?

If one were to begin depicting him as such, god knows, maybe he’d actually deliver.

• Sorry I didn’t respond directly to your invite, Dan - I clicked the link but it had expired. I meant to get back to you.

“The kingdom of the father is spread out over the earth, and men do not see it.” Gospel of Thomas verse 113.

I don’t think this means what you mean it to mean. After all this was supposedly said on the outset of J’s mission. If it means what you mean it to mean (I think) then there would be no work for the dude to perform.

The Gospel of Thomas, the only gospel in which this quote appears, is a sayings gospel. There’s no sequential narrative.

Yeah but it was written in the centuries right after J’s (alleged) life.

Scholars have proposed dates of composition as early as AD 60. As I see it, when it was written doesn’t change the truth value of the proposition. To me it’s about seeing the divine pattern that is there. It’s a pattern that has many names. The way of wisdom, the Tao, the perennial philosophy, etc
It’s there for everybody. But few see it, and fewer travel it far.

But every single electron is divine. There is not merely a divine pattern. In pagan religions of the North, there is no possibility of even escaping divinity.

Only antidepressants and such demonic horror (I won’t name the worst of it, the shit that currently being distributed) are capable of severing the link between man and existence, which is divine.

What I distrust about Jesus is that he supposes that he is the special entrance to God, that by merely Beijing in him (I wrote believing, not the capital of China, but this autocorrect fits…) and only through merely believing in him man can connect to the divine.

So… in actually refraining from worshiping Life, in being lazy and giving responsibility away, is the only way to experience the divine? Can a message get more perversely false?

FC - Jesus, dude, did you say all that horribly blasphemous stuff?

JC - Who is I?

FC - Fuck you just answer the question.

JC - What is a question?

FC - Seriously. Did you say that crap?

JC - I dont remember, I was high all the time. I might have.

FC - Well why dont you correct it? Why leave people believing that, why keep them from their inherent joy, health?

JC - Wel you see Im not as powerful as you may think. Im powerful, but not that powerful. They took my legacy and ran with it and I really havent been able to stop them.

FC - So you’re a victim of your own fame?

• JC sits down and sighs *

JC - Fuck.

FC - Yeah really.

If there’s no pattern then horns are meaningless.

As it is, I imagine that to a hunter horns represent threat, and when appropriated-- power. And it is especially potency or masculine power. One must “take the bull by the horns” by which is meant direct confrontation–“head on” of a challenge or problem. Otherwise one may be caught on “the horns of a dilemma”. In that case one would be " stuck" between two lemmas or conflicting propositions.

Sure there are plenty of patterns, infinite times infinite times infinite, I sought to imply that god isn’t some kind of hidden pattern but a fullness in which humans are but thin patterns. God is no thin thread. It’s where life is most thick, most obviously good. To me anyway.

Yes yes, this is good.
It’s, again, not a hidden thing but rather a difficult thing. It is scary. God is scary, when appropriated - fullness is scary. Thin patterns are not.