Any Catholic philosophers here?

I’m a millennial living near D.C.

Like many my age, I was a Nietzsche type atheist for 8 years. In 2016, I came back to the Catholic Church after reading Pascal, Aquinas and Augustine. I want to live the perfect philosophy.

Anyone else similar?

So many saints said most people go to Hell; Aquinas, Augustine, Anselm, St. Jerome, St. John Vienney, St. John Neumann and so many more. It’s scary and sad how many ignore the warnings…

It’s scary and sad and how many people believe such nonsense.

It’s also pretty rich being threatened with hell by a child-molestation cult.

Why would God be that nasty?

Every time a person tries discussing religion, the thread gets trolled.

The saints said it, not God. People are fallible, and their understanding of God is fallible.

It’s not trolling to point out that there is no hell, after the OP said it was “scary and sad” that people ignore the hell warnings of the saints.

I resolved the excrutiating tension that Niet zche presented to me , at first the indelible doubt simulated a kind of priMal doubt that had a seeming familiar similarity with the original Fall, but after getting to know Nietzche more, I realized his madness, hos anger stemmed from his protestant minister father.

He shared this projection with Luther, who similarly conflated the two father figures into am escholoticalmly mixed anthropomorphic metaphor.

I sensed this anger within me and out of fear became unwilling to follow the abdominishing suggestion to follow the same crossing , self exposed humiliating pain he must have felt.

The absolution required was too demanding of any mortal being, a father should not have to look upon the sufferings of a little child still only half way out of his tiny crib that was his embryonic home

The pain could have literally failed a project , even before a concepting inception which really mo child can said to be of original sin!

Why are we to feel humbly guilty of our animal beginnings, when as children of God, we should Bdf shielded from the self righteous arrogance that our father here, has denograded toward that who is in heaven?

But atonement is imminent to those, who have really seen with sight unseen, the dramatic need to masquarade this fallacy, if they are to live to learn to love.

Those who can’t must reenact the stage set over again, so as to truly become who they were meant to be.

Only miracles can augment their corresponding need, if borne out of a faithfully ripe tree heretofore untouched in a garden of delight.

Carry on trolling.

Bob said it right in another thread, non-religious folk do not wish to be held accountable for their trespasses, Neitzsche neither. Always blame the Father rather than ourselves.

I’m not Catholic but read some Aquinas ago.

The only one trolling is you. I have not rolled this thread. I responded to the OP. The OP said it’s “sad and scary” that we ignore saints who threaten us with hell. I contest that there is any such thing as hell. That is not trolling. It is responding to something the OP brought up.

In fact, the OP itself is trolling, in my opinion. If the poster wishes to discuss Catholic philosophy or philosophers, fine. That’s quite legitimate. Instead he issues a not too thinly veiled threat that unless people believes as he says he does, they are headed for hell. Neither he nor you should be surprised by the response of someone who rejects such delusions.

Jesus is not nonsense. He’s the most important person in history for a reason.

Further, Christians live better lives than the non-religious do.

Christians donate more to charity, volunteer more, are happier, live longer and have better mental health. Also, they have lower suicide rates, depression and anxiety.

To be an atheist/agnostic is irrational because you’ll never get these benefits.

That’s untrue. The Catholic Church has a lower rate of abuse than public school do.

google.com/amp/s/www.psycho … urch%3famp

Gos doesn’t send anyone to Hell…people choose it because they reject God.

catholic.com/magazine/onlin … ne-to-hell

I didn’t say Jesus is nonsense. I said belief in hell is nonsense,.

It’s not even clear that Jesus was an actual person. There are no contemporaneous accounts of him. None.

Demonstrably false.

Demonstrably false. Not a word of the above is factual.

Lol. Troll, troll your boat …

Oh brother, here come the standard-issue, fith-rate apologetics, right on cue …, :laughing:

I’m not trolling. I’m hoping to engage with other Catholic philosophy fans here; people that like Aquinas, Augustine and Pascal.

You can reject Hell but Jesus was very clear about it. He warned about Hell dozens of times.

That’s a fallacy.

It wouldn’t be untrue simply because you can find more cases in another organization.

[/quote]
Oh brother, here come the standard-issue, fith-rate apologetics, right on cue …, :laughing:
[/quote]
You didn’t even read it, did you?

It’s a short answer to your question.

Anyways, you can go to the other million atheist threads, of you’d like.

No one is forcing you to choose Heaven.

The Catholic Church is one of the safest places for children today.

Your claim that it’s a “child molesting cult” is false. And profoundly ignorant.

Jesus is a sticking point for me. I’ve never understood what he sacrificed as a favored immortal. An immortal gave up his Earthly body, so our heavenly bodies can ascend. That doesn’t seem like much of a sacrifice. Humans sacrifice themselves for the betterment of their families, communities, countries all the time. What is death to immortality?

In essence, the Bible reveals that all human souls are immortal, only where they end up is debated.

Even if you believe that, God still controls the punishment. He could make it anything that He wants.

So why would He make it so unpleasant? It seems to be out of proportion to any sin that you could commit in a lifetime.