Ideas for competitions

Everybody loves competitions.

I propose a short story competition, a best joke competition, a virtual arm-wrestling competition (I bet we’ve got some hellatough ladies on these forums), a spitting competition (via webcams) and possibly a spelling competition.

Any other suggestions?

a “Mr. ILovePhilosophy” contest – new winner every month

And of course a Ms. (Wet-tee-shirt) ILP too… :evilfun:

Hey somoneisatthedoor,

I like the idea of a competition. As with all these things it is a matter of finding the time and the staff and I are currently working on some projects. If you’d like to organise something with staff support then feel free to PM me with an elaborated explanation of how you would run it. We can provide you with forum resources such as sticky threads etc. and perhaps even the prize.

This is open to anyone but thought I’d offer it to SIATD as it was his idea,

Cheers

Ben

Another idea I had was using the chat forum as a sort of live comedy show, where posters get, say, 2 minutes to tell the best set of jokes or stand-up routine they can and the rest of the posters watch and rate the comics.

I thought of competitions as a way of defusing some of the tensions here at ILP. There are all sorts of minature battles going on and it would be nice to have something other than blow by blow accounts to show for it. Someone suggested that psyque and myself turn our fight into a rap battle. Now I personally think that that is a crap idea, principally because I can’t rap.

But I can tell old jokes and I can write short stories. Basically I’m starved of recognition and want to use this place to fuel my ego.

I would suggest a competition to define: “The Ultimate complaint.” I’ve read some wonderful posts filled with a variety of well expressed complaints. With all this talent, it makes me wonder who could write the “ultimate complaint” determined by impartial judges and how it would read.

Another board I frequent has a POTM (poster of the month) award, for which the winner is awarded a special icon.

I’ll be collecting my ‘best newcomer 2005’ award soon, unless the heavily biased panel go for the housewives favourite, Tabula Rasa.

You spelled my name wrong… it’s ‘G-O-B-B-O’ and what can I say? I’m just a housewife magnet.

I like the competition idea though, especially if it’s art based.

Hello F(r)iends,

You are not even second place…

#1 Tab
#2 James No. 2
#3 Phaedrus
#4 SIATD

:stuck_out_tongue:

-Thirst

James No. 2 – hands down – He’s intelligent, knowledgeable and emotionally mature – all the qualities you need on a site like this.

Tabula Rasa has done a Dunamis – he’s dropped his core strength and joined the bitter and twisted club. Anyway, Tabula Rasa has left so, until he returns, let’s move on and concentrate on people who are here, right now.

PS: I’ll warn everyone in advance, that I’m going to do an Oprah and withdraw myself from the awards “to give others a chance”. I personally think this magnanimous gesture deserves its own award but I’ll leave it up to you, the little people, to decide that.

And now…… drum roll, please… ON WITH THE PRESENTATIONS!