Does anyone else hate the adverts?

I’m appealing to Ben to remove the adverts form the top of the left had page, they look so out of place and, unlike some other links on the page, have nothing to do with philosophy either. It’s a simple request, please take them away!!!

Jon,

Get firefox… and the right plugins and you can block them.

I have firefox at my computer at home, but im in a boarding school so i cant put firefox on the computer.

Thanks anyway,

J F

and when you graduate will you continue your education at disembarking college?

:wink:

-Imp

The ads help to support payment for the site, so they aren’t a bad thing. Since Ben is a student I have no idea how much extra money he has to spend on the sites, so it’s good to think about that.

Precisely, and it takes money to keep a forum going.

Jon:
If you are that desperate to rid ILP of all forms of advertisement, consider making a substantial financial donation. I’m confident that if Ben thinks it is enough to cover all of ILP expenses, he’d be happy to remove the ads. :sunglasses:

Yep, Firefox and Thunderbird do a great job. Yes, I finally am able to send email. Evidently, Earthlink created a new security measure and I had to adjust my setting from my user name to my email address.

I’m glad that you sorted it out, you show that software who’s boss!

BMW-Guy,

It is my mistake that I hadn’t realised the purpose of the ads, but it does not require a verbal, condescending attack on your part.

Jon F

Dude, I have never (at least I do not think I ever have), and will never “attack” anyone. I’m just not that type of person.

It was evident to me that you did not initially realize the purpose of the ads, so I simply told why they were there. I also informed you of others ways that ILP generates money: donations.

No personal attacks. Seriously, I meant no harm. Sorry if I sounded like I was being otherwise. :slight_smile:

let’s get one thing clear, google ads have never made a dime for anyone. i’d be much surprised if ben gets more than 5 bucks a quarter for them, which he could practically find in the street.

Hello zeno…

There are a million advertisements on this thing! :astonished: Is Ben making money on this deal or what? This puts prime time television to shame!

if every time i posted, it stopped me for five-ten seconds and forced me to watch some obnoxious crap about some popular product that none of us will consider buying, then i would be annoyed and dissapointed.

the ads taht we have here, i have barely noticed them. there has always been empty white space in between the pictures of the philosophers at the top left and the set of links to its right. this empty white space has never bothered me, as i am reading words that are not blocked by it in any way.

how are the adds different from this white space? the fact that there are more of them and they may often force you to scroll further down the more narrow column? dont complain about having to scroll slightly farther.

i love the fact that there are ads because this is a fantastic site that has made my life considerably better and i would feel awful if i was totally freeloading and had no way to reciprocate the greatness ben has bestowed upon me.

i try to ctrl-shift-click on every ad i see so it opens in the background. then, of course, i close them all and never purchase anything. this wastes about 10 seconds of my free time, of which i have much. if i didnt do this, i cant imagine any possible reason to be bothered by the ads.

do not ever take the ads away, add more ads.

Boy what the hell you talkin bout? You crazy!

The ads help fund the site, it’s as simple as that. You want ILP, you get ads. You don’t want ads, you paypal me money. Are we clear on this now?

• ben

P.S. - FM, bless you.

plenty of free services to choose from baby.
imo, on the long term, you’re toast.

zeno,

In your opinion your site is ‘da rage’ so excuse me if I don’t give much credance to your opinion. Don’t get me wrong, I love reading your globetrotter and lunch threads but I’m not sure if that constitutes anything more than a personal blog.

Welcome back by the way, we missed you,

• ben

While I somehow manage to ‘see’ right past the ads, I know why they are there. Actually, I may start reading a few of them. They might have more content than some of the posts I’ve been reading of late. :unamused:

JT

Like JT, I just look past the ads. Though I do glance over them occasionally out of curiosity. This site doesn’t yet pay for itself so the adverts are there. Numbers are numbers…