Shopping

This should probably be in Help & Suggestions, but nobody ever reads that, so I’m putting it here, at least until it gets moved.

Saitd mentioned this to me once. I think that ILP should have an online store. It’s difficult to find some philosophical merchandise, and it could help Ben pay the bills. I have a couple of suggestions for inventory.

Intellectual airs - bottled by members, from lecture halls, university quads - anywhere they find intellectual airs. Some could simply take air from their very nostrils. I think these would quickly become collector’s items - maybe the last air from a campus building that is being razed, or from a place most of us are unlikely to visit - rare air.

ILP tee-shirts. Perhaps autographed by such legendary figures as Dunamis, for added value.

ILP bumperstickers - “Honk If You Love Kant” or “My Other Car is Deconstructing”. “God Is My Co-Poster”. “Illogical People Suck”.

Speaking of co-posters, how about some posters? Sagesound is doing some fine work on a logo. Make it a poster.

Togas - where the heck can you pick up a toga thesadays? Nowhere, that’s where.

Electronics - How about an ILPod? - so you can download philosophical gems and play them back - 99 cents per gem. I will personally donate my Werklempter translations, if we can find someone with a german accent to record them. Perhaps a german.

An ILP recipe book. 101 Ways to Eat Canned Tuna Without Dirtying a Plate. Would help the students out. Also would be a fun collaborative effort.

The list is endless - I am sure that someone else has a suggestion or two. I have more. As you might guess.

My favourite t-shirt slogan is ‘decentreing is where it’s at’, but I don’t think we’d sell very many.

This has come up before, but it’s a case of someone having the time to run it. Might make more sense to run an ILP shop on ebay, which is what Bessy suggested, and have links from here to there.

MOVED.

A

Ahh, faust! This is the second time you have bestowed a generous compliment upon my artwork! Such words should not go unnoticed, least of all by me; who hath seen to it that you recieve a taste of such what you desire! This image would actually look better on a shirt, don’t you think? I wrestled with this a little; debating wether to stick with his period of existence on this planet, or a listing of his catalogue, and even something ironically funny like: “The guy who made Kaufmann’s career!” I also considered a famous aphorism of his… even maybe: “The guy who proved Wagner is garbage!” The possibilities are endless…

:laughing: =D>

Sage - I love that! Just the way it is. This is the kind of thing that gives the idea of a store some real traction. I can come up with silly quips, but this you have here shows real talent, and would sell, I think, even with the limited audience for philo stuff - well, Nietzsche is not so limited in appeal, for one thing. If you ever print shirts off like this, let me know. I realise that it might not be had for a normal production price, but where else can you get one? Seriously.

Holy merchandising, Benman! Will someone please call the Bencave on the Benphone and ask for Ben? He should see this.

Duuuude! What else ya got?

Anybody else got any ideas?

I was kidding about the ILPod. Just for the record.

Awesome banners, Sage. :slight_smile:

Heh! I like this idea . . . :evilfun:

Seriously? Well… careful what you wish for faust. If you really would buy a black t-shirt with this Nietzsche design, perhaps I should sign up with this place. If I gained enough support from ILP, and the power of the word to spread as advertising, this could become a very profita—I mean, philosophical venture!

What are you interested in?

Thanks Margaret! I should have thought twice about that Wagner comment… it would look good wouldn’t it!

Yeah, perhaps you should. I just hope it’s not a boat that ILP is missing.

There were attempts to get such a shop off the ground about 2 1/2 years ago. In fact it even had a e-shopfront which was:

cafepress.com/philosophy

Alas the available merchandice has disappeared but I’m sure there were some good designs.

Matt

I’ve always had a desire to own just a simple, black t-shirt that read NIETZSCHE on the chest in white block letters. Maybe throw a quote or a facsimile page of something he handwrote on the back.

We’ve also discussed product lists in the think tank forum 6 months ago but lack of input meant it got nowhere. I am still happy to setup something on these lines if needed.