Did Not Know Where to Put This

Is something happening with ILP?

For days now, I am continually being logged out without my logging out. I click submit I am logged out, losing my posts, I back space i am logged out, I click on, let us say, the llth page of a thread, I am logged out, I try to get back to the Board Index, I am logged out.

What can be happening? This has never happened before as far as I can remember.

Try logging out (you are currently having no problem there!) and logging back in, but first click the button that says, “Automatically log in each visit.”

I stopped having the problem after that.

For really long posts, I recommend doing a copy page CTRL + A—THEN----CTRL + C, if on a computer. Then, if you do get logged out, you can do CTRL + V (or it can be CTRL + P, depending) in order to paste what you have copied into the textbox.

Hey Arc,

Seems a few members have been running into this. What browser are you using?

I ran into the problem right after a Firefox update. Ran Firefox “options” and deleted site preferences, then used the command on the homepage here to delete all board cookies and haven’t had the problem since.

I had the problem on Chrome, but my corrective action worked.

Hi Pav, long time no see. Good to see you in here.
It just took me approximately 10 minutes to send a post to Fixed Cross. lol
I’m in google chrome. Did not know if it is that or ILP. Even trying to do the post in a PM does not quite work because any click sends me out, no matter which way I am going.

I am having no problem logging out because it is being done for me without my wanting it. lol
I log back in, perform a function and I am out again. The exception to the rule is staying in. It is extremely annoying.
I suppose that the universe is teaching me that there are more important things in life than any of this. lol

Good to see you again in here. Let us hope that you guys stay for awhile.

Thanks Mowk.

Me too.
Maybe all those Chinese, Russian, and American think tanks are intervening as they harvest the genius insights of many of the ILP members who are, as we speak, shaping and forming global balances.

just sayin’

Arc, don’t get upset , I have had various issues myself. and they seem to phase out after a while. A thought occurred me, though. that ILP may be evolving intellectually, as well. Who knows nowadays.

Nice to see you too! Couple years or so, I guess.

You hit the, “Automatically log me in button?”

In any event, I PM’ed Carleas both a link to this thread as well as what I think the problem could be. Unfortunately, I lack sufficient permissions to even identify whether that is the problem or not, much less fix it. My status as Staff Emeritus affords me a few permissions that you don’t have, but that’s not one of them.

Chromium googlites. Geez, aren’t you aware google is the largest harvester of personal data around?

I am Google and Google is me, so it’s fine.

While it’s usually a user-side issue, this time it may have something to do with some recent back-end changes. I changed our DNS provider and registrar, and I don’t know that that would affect it, but it would make sense if the cookies don’t carry over after the change as a precaution against man-in-the-middle attacks.

Can you try deleting your cookies? That’s kind of an unplug-it-and-plug-it-back-in solution, but since it’s affecting only certain users it’s worth a shot.

Moved to Meta.

That happened to me when I first signed in her. The “Automatically log me in” thing worked to prevent the problem but for some reason I am still always hidden without asking it to do that. It works well enough for me.

It’s happening again.

Have you deleted cookies?

yes, read your post and when I clicked to post reply, it said I had to be logged in to respond and brought me back to the login page.

Well, chances are that they would not be harvesting them from me. lol

Pav,

I hit the automatically log me in button but alas I had to log in again. But I did manage to submit one post successfully.

What are “cookies”? :blush:

Cookies are small files that sites use to remember information specific to users. When you go to a site, the site will check to see if you have their cookies, and pull any information they need from them. They are used to automatically log you in when you visit ILP, and to show you the right style, posts-per-page, things like that.

If you’re using Chrome, you can clear your cookies as follows: go to the ILP homepage, click the “Not secure”* warning to the left of the URL, and select ‘Cookies’ at the bottom of the menu. Then select “ilovophilosophy.com” and click “Remove” at the bottom.

You’ll then need to log back in and that will create new cookies, so if the problem was with the cookies this should fix it.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

*“Not secure” means we don’t use end-to-end encryption, so don’t send e.g. bank details or things like that via PM.