Post Count

Someone is artificially manipulating the number of views a thread receives. Do we know who, how, and why? :-k A thread that I posted recorded over 4000 views in 48 hours. A similar figure for Mowk. Mr R. had a thread that received over 2000 views in the same time (Mister R, please don’t tell me your figure is accurate due to your super cooldom! :slight_smile: :sunglasses:).

It may be there is a simple explanation - perhaps the site owner is merely trying to give the impression the board receives more visitors than is the case. (If it does have something to do with you, Carleas, please feel free to remove this post immediately!)

And so it continues:
Screenshot 11.56
derleydoo thread recorded 131,459 views
Mowk thread recorded 161,388 views

Screenshot 11.58
derleydoo recorded 131,490 +31
Mowk thread recorded 161,428 +40

3 registered users and 19 guests online!

_
19 guests? Now that’s an unusually high number…

Thanks MagsJ, that’s cleared up that little mystery! #-o

And sorry to Mr R. His was the latest entry in a thread started by Zero Sum.

Screenshot 11.58

Screenshot 15.37
derleydoo 131,918
mowk 162,090

4 registered users. 1 hidden. 38 guest users.

_
Who on Earth are all these guests and where are they coming from… :-k

my guess, aliens trying to check out if there is intelligent
life on earth… and frankly, I am not sure how well we are doing…

Kropotkin

Thank you, Mr. Kropotkin. Every bit as helpful as MagsJ. :laughing:

I aim to please…

Kropotkin

For me the classic example of this is here:

From promethean75’s Desperate Degenerate Support Group thread:

Sure, maybe.

Oh I see! So you’re suggesting I have taken Prom’s fanbase. That did not occur to me. So very obvious now it’s pointed out! I am indebted to you, Iam.

You do realise this thread falls into the category of Yak yak yakking? :laughing:

No, that’s you suggesting that this is what I am suggesting. I am merely pointing out another instance in which the view count seems to have been “manipulated”.

You started the thread. So, you tell me if the discussion is just yak, yak, yakking.

On the other hand, if someone is able to manipulate the view count here, who is to say what else is being manipulated? Something considerably more substantive for example.

I have no idea what you require from a thread! The original post was, and still is a serious enquiry. You responded, and I made a joke of it. For some obscure reason, you took me seriously. Yak yak yak? I believe every single conversation/exchange, contains philosophical content. You seem to think philosophy should follow a certain path. In my view, life doesn’t work like that. Life is short and passes extremely quickly. I don’t believe it’s wise to spend one’s time being too serious. Yak yak yak for long enough and eventually you’ll hit upon some pretty serious philosophy/truth.

That’s your frame of mind. But: I’m not exactly inside your head in order to grasp your motivations and intentions. What, I’m supposed to just know when you’re joking and when you’re not?

At the same time, you’re not inside my head to grasp my own motivations and intention in regard to philosophy.

Well, okay, I attempted just recently to explain that to Berkley on this thread: ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop … 1&t=196616

Oh, and when I’m more or less joking around in a post I’ll use this: :wink: Or this: :sunglasses:

Other than that, it sounds like a personal problem to me.

Nope, I’m stubbornly committed to the truth. Here’s a screenshot of past year’s traffic from Google Analytics, which I consider a more accurate representation of site traffic (sorry for the size):

The solid line is this year, the dotted line is last year. I’m not entirely sure why there was a bump in the first half of the year, since it begins before the pandemic and ends abruptly at not point in particular. I think maybe I fixed our DDOS protections around that time, but that assumes a sudden spike in bots that Google can’t tell are bots but Cloudflare can, and almost no bots before then (since the reduced numbers are approximately equal to the previous year).

Anyway, this is the real traffic, and January looks to be a slow month, in line with historical numbers.

Cloudflare says we’re getting a weird amount of traffic from France and Surinam, so almost certainly not real. I’ve turned on extra filtering to see if that fixes it.

i have always had the impression that millions of people from all around the world come to my thread and check all the time just to see if ive made a new post. i have no evidence that this is true, but it feels true.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLGAqtR_IVk[/youtube]

I did it… #-o

I bet he says that to all the ladies ; ) ba-dum tish!

Apologies Carleas, I couldn’t help it… O:)

Where we began:

And so it continues:
Screenshot 11.56
derleydoo thread recorded 131,459 views
Mowk thread recorded 161,388 views

Screenshot 11.58

3 registered users and 19 guests online!

Where we are at 11.10 13/01

derleydoo: 133,830 views
mowk: 165,020 views

Well, with no further evidence submitted there can only be one conclusion. Thousands of people visit on a daily basis to see if Mr R has posted anew. Whilst here, they read posts from derleydoo. They then read posts from Mowk - on the assumption that Mowk is a sock puppet of derleydoo. Case closed. Thanks to all contributors.

makes sense

Your Twitter followers followed you here, huh?

no way of knowing really. i just assume that people all across the world are constantly tuned in everywhere to see what i have to say.

:laughing:

Coz you’re that interesting huh? Maybe sometimes, but certainly not always.