Just a couple of ideas!

I like the Alliance idea a lot. Like a WebRing, but not poo. Happy to help out there if it becomes a live thing and to help promote / join ixyl up. If not, the World Change forum is still a fine idea and should present some very encouraging results.

The Chronicles skin is well made but impossible to use IMHO! So it should be added as an optional skin, which is fairly easy to do. Alternatively, have a look round all the other phpBB skins at the phpbb.com demo site

Some good ideas, let me shed some light on what I can…

The News forums will be a feature in the new launch of the website which will happen in a short while.

The Chronicles skin can be added as a user choice on the forums, it seems a popular choice although there may be problems with it running with the version of phpbb we are currently using. We are looking into that.

Magius, I don’t think there is a room for a specific Changing the World forum but if you want to set up a ‘Guild’ then I guess the best way to do that is to start a Usergroup which you moderate and add people on to join the guild. I can set this up if you want just let me know what you plan to do with it and what it’s role will be.

cheers

• ben

I didn’t want to start a new thread, but my idea is simple. Oh by the way, Hi everyone. yeah, I’m not a computer knowledgable person. But can someone find a way to put wordspell in here. My spelling sucks big time, I type as I speak. Phonetically. can someone do that?

Personaly I always use MS Word for typing up my posts, as I can save a copy for me, and it checks grammer and spelling.

Thanks Pax, funny how I didn’t think of that.

Actually there is a phpbb MOD for spell check. It might be an interesting addition. They’re is nothing that pises me offf more thasn peeple thate can’t spel rite.

hmmm a philathripic group sounds better than a guild.

Throw my name in, only if the bylaws say that i can also do like bad stuff too.
:evilfun:

Blu, join
Skull and Bones
. You’ll get to do plenty of evil stuff there.

time is too precious to waste on the backspace key…

Greetings fellow colleagues in life,
after having spent much time in this humble abode, I come to think that there is much good that can be said about our little niche. I realized this in reading one of the other posters kind words about this site. This poster I refer to is roygabv and here is the statement he made…

If we could only fill one person with similar joy just once a month, we could really make a difference. Having said that I think that it might be a good idea to further our cause and bring more people in by adding a link on the main page where we could put some of the positive claims about our message board. You know, the same way a book gets reviews, a product, and so forth. We too could have a reviews page that people could visit to see what all the fuss is about. This could get people energized into joining, but also expectant to have a similar experience. I would nominate roygabv’s words as one of the reviews.

Ben,
thank you for offering me a Usergroup. Unfortunately, right now I neither have the time or energy to devote to moderating such a usergroup. I have spoken to two ILP members about helping me moderate such a usergroup, seeing how I have very little time, but they too were busy. I will take a rain cheque and get back to you when I get time to devote to the usergroup. I also wish to mention, that if anyone is interested in making this idea a partnership or even a larger group I wouldn’t mind starting it right away.

What’s your take?

So here I go with my crazy ideas again…
I was reading some Orson Scott Card books and thought about how great it would be if our little message board actually had some impact on politics, economics, and so on. Wishful thinking. But that idea got me thinking about how great it would be to go to message boards that have real politicians talking about real issues. Or even a science forum where scientists talk about their projects and stuff. In the end I got the following idea…we could spice up our conversations by adding a forum in which we would invite Professors from universities to make posts on their personal views on whatever topic they wish. And we could ask them more about it or inquire as to sources and things like that. I would have no issue with going to professors and asking them to participate in such a forum, given certain rules, from my university. It could be a sort of “Chat with an expert” type of thing. We could also ask them to add ‘Prof. [enter nickname]’ before their nickname so we can distinguish between poster and professor.

Anyway, just an idea. Let me know what you all think

What’s your take?

Its good to see you back Magius!

Thanks Pax,
it’s good to be back and to see you here. I look forward to our future discussions.

Cordially,
~Magius

Gadfly,

You have taken the idea straight out of my mind. As many might know, or not, I’ve started a sort of partnership with another forum. Mainly to give XXI an online identity. As well stated on many occassions, I do not want anything that will compete with this site. Nothing at all.

I just want to know, because a forum for XXI is in the works (a more proffessional one than the old XXIAffiliates), if it is possible to give a link to ILP from my main page. And if I am even allowed to do so, because I’m not an official part of ILP, and the fact that I’m trying to expand a company might cause a conflict of interest.

oops, I think you should all have figured out that was me, right?

Welcome back Gadfly!

Greetings Marshall,
you have kept things in good order as I see it. Though things have slowed down a bit I think we will be able to begin to incite some interesting debates. I am going to be leaving the country for about 10 days starting May 13th, after which I will devote much time to a fairly new and controversial idea I had going on. Well, I think I have mentioned it briefly a few times a couple of months ago, but I will attempt to write a thorough essay (not school related, simply my own interest) about doing away with blame and punishment (I will post it in the essay forum as soon as it is done - reserch is already prepared). I am most interested to find out what you will think and say once you have read it, I have always held your comments in the highest regards and the deepest of respect, even when we didn’t see eye-to-eye (which is seldom).

Thank you for the welcome, from all those who have welcomed me back. It is most greatly appreciated. It never ceases to amaze me how a few symbols (letters) can make a person feel so good.

Take care,
Cordially,
~Magius

Indeed, welcome back Magius. Looking forward to reading your new stuff. Am in the thick of it with work at the moment, but will become active again in a month or so.

Till then,

Leo

Leo,
I have thought of you on a number of occasions, I have been curious to hear how things are going with your political career. How is Mr. Blair? I’m glad to be back and thank all of you for such a warm welcome. I look forward to all the inspiring and informative discussions we will surely be having.

Cordially,
~Magius

Im not sure if this idea has been proposed before but i think it would be a good idea to have a thread or sticky topic in which anyone looking for a subject of interest; such as someone looking for a topic on Kant or a topic that has been discussed before such as Laughter.

I’d propose some sort of index, its just having someone to go through all the topics and list them that seems to be the problem. Because there are so many topics that are repeated that many great ideas are missed or just re-worded. If there was some sort of index or sticky post, people could redirect a new topic somewhere they may find of interest and delete the unnecessary one.

Just a suggestion anyways.