what you're favorite quote?

“I saw a human pyramid once. It was very…unnessary. It did not need to exist.”

imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, ‘This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn’t it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!’ This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it’s still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything’s going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for. - Douglas Adams

That’s the best quote so far… but who said/wrote it?

I have two, so forgive me.

“Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.” Job 1:21

“I am so stupid that I cannot understand philosophy; the antithesis of this is that philosophy is so clever that it cannot comprehend my stupidity. These antitheses are mediated in a higher unity; in our common stupidity.” -Kierkegaard

That is an absolutely brilliant quote.

Mitch Hedburg.

‘The challenge is to become homosexual.’ - Foucault

“There is no softer pillow than a clear conscience” French Proverb.

“Nature opens her eyes in man and notices that she is there.” - Friedrich Wilhelm J. Schelling.

[tab]Heidegger calls this Schellingian bright spot the open place that has opened up in man in the midst of the nature-like closed being.[/tab]

“The purpose and goal of every living thing is and has always been to Maximize the Integral of Joy Over Time - MIJOT” - James S Saint

It works. :smiley:

Another quote from James that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately:
“Devil’s Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise … until it is too late to choose otherwise.”

Perhaps more relevant than ever.

For me, it is a little more complicated:

Taken from this thread: https://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=193673&p=2689964#p2689964

He said this just over three years ago.

Actually, it doesn’t work. People have opposing joys.

I’ll submit one of my quotes instead:

The goal of existence is that we all live our desired experiences at nobodies expense; which means to solve the pleasurable exclusive access problem once and for all.

I’ll go even further:

Karma is nothing but your reputation in the spirit world; there is no blasphemy, you just get a bad reputation.

I’ll go even further:

Sin is just consent violation. Some are worse than others.

I’ll give you another one. The worst thing you can do (lose reputation). Is to stomp on another beings heart while you’re having the best time of your life.

“The goal of existence is that we all live our desired experiences at nobodies expense; which means to solve the pleasurable exclusive access problem once and for all.”

That was good but when I started to read the rest I heard…

I edited my post and added one as well since you replied. People have different languages, I take it upon myself to communicate to all of them, not just you.

the streets will flow with the blood of the non-believers - beavis

What if one is only joyful, if joy has eliminated its opposite and no harmony could be established, because the opposite is missing?

“Infinity is not a noun. It’s a verb. It’s a process. If infinity were a thing it’d have border.” - Ecmandu. :laughing:

Then you missed the target - the goal. MIJOT specifies the accumulation of the joy (the integral) over (or through) time. So the goal is to accumulate as much as possible for as long as possible. That inherently limits both the struggle to survive and the temptation to get high. The specified goal is not North nor West - but specifically Northwest - else you are not aiming right.

Add up the joy or good feelings you allowed yourself to have each day and try to make that total accumulation throughout your life as high as possible (and thus for as long as possible). And the joy or harmony literally helps the survival effort.

I have tried it - and zookers it made a difference immediately. :smiley:

Another quote -
“Laugh - just because you can.” - James S Saint

I guess Jakob would call it “self-valuing”. :wink:

My answer to my question would have been: Then you would be in a place that does not exist in reality; because in reality there is always the opposite to joy; if this opposite did not exist, one could not feel joy at all.

Now you have brought the example of “Northwest” (a good direction, a good target, by the way). It means that I should choose “Northwest”, so that only one of the eight directions is correctly chosen as the target, and that means 1/8 or 12.5%. The opposite of joy would have to sit therefore exactly in the “Southeast” with its 12.5%. My question referred to the possibility of a 100% joy, because I am sure that it is not attainable - for reasons mentioned above.

Joy.png
:smiley: