Interstellar Travel

With regards to considering the power necessary to do such and limits on size an what not…it is important to consider that for a trip across galaxies at the speed of light it would still take i think 75 years or more(been a while since i looked into that)…however long(even if a way to travel faster than light was found) you would need to take into consideration the size of the craft needed to support the population that would be traveling, given a large enough amount of time, population growth would need to be considered, limits to prevent population overgrowth, and then aspects of the ship sucha as to allow for comfort, such as gardens and a size such that one doesn’t feel cramped or find themselves going nuts…

Sounds like you would need a HUGE power source… I’m not really sure but i don’t think it would work - considering all the dipoles we have on Earth (which is also a dipole) still not going anywhere…

Just thought of something - what do you think about scalar waves and zero-point energy? I read a bit about it and their proponents have really high hopes on those two things…

Actually, I have an alien vessel in my back yard, and i’m slowly stealing it’s technology and selling it to the highest bidder - but don’t tell anyone… Shhh…

Looking at it long-term, it might be best to turn the whole planet into a huge vessel - if all attempts to break the light barrier fail, that will probably be the only reasonable thing: it eliminates the problem of relativity completely. Instead of having astronauts fly away and coming back millenniums later while the rest wait - we simply bring the planet with us… :slight_smile:

the problem with that idea is I think you would have to take the sun too… Or it would take a ridiculous amount of power just to sustain life on the planet…still 9and it may be easier then to do it otherwise, less costly on all biases)
And I don’t want you moving my planet :smiley: I’m not a space explorer, that would be unfair…

I said you would need a huge power source. But the power is not being expended. And Man has never even seen the scale of dipole that I am talking about, perhaps a 10 ton compressed plasma bottle at the bow and its counterpart at the stern.

Oh, those are my babies. :mrgreen:
I deal in subspace affectance which is all about what they are calling zero-point energy and scalar fields (and vector fields).
But a common misunderstanding is that the affectance field offers a huge amount of energy. It doesn’t. It only provides endless energy, but extremely small amounts. If one were to establish a subspace field, he could then use it to do a variety of things including disintegrating matter and thereby obtain a portion of the energy released. But the energy that emerges from subspace is infinitesimal.

Your kidding? :astonished:
Mine was stolen some time back. Your not selling MY PARTS are you?!?! :imp:

Surely it would expend energy…just really really really really slowly…?

Well initial propulsion isn’t so much the issue as obtaining near light speed, especially if you can arrange for higher speed without having to compensate for the inertia (which is what such a dipole would be doing if it did turn out to be that simple). Once acceleration has been accomplished, there is little need of more power other than to compensate for losses or to get back up to speed after a short roadside restroom break.

in other words most of the energy would be spent in gaining momentum?

right.

…well and initially producing the field.

And btw, space is necessarily describable as an infinite matrix of infinite series’, much like an infinite matrix of Fourier series except unlike a Fourier series, there must be a single scalar followed by an infinite series of vectors.

Each point in space can be (for practical modeling), expressed as [p, v, m], the first 3 of the series.

This sparked a question…could space be filled infinitely, or is there a limit to the degree of filling by volume or something…?

Space is caused by the “energy” that fills it. In a sense, it is the space that fills energy, not energy that fills space.
It is impossible for energy to not exist everywhere - infinitely. Without energy, there is no “where” for anything to exist.

Since space is a near void (we don’t exactly know that) and since Einstein has told us that only light can achieve the speed of light, I’d say the only answer is in Dylithium Crystals. But you’d have to first discover the properties of dylithium crystals to determine if they would, in fact, give you the propulsion needed and then you’d have to find a source for them–hopefully on a planet that doesn’t rely on slave labor.

Also needed would be navigational skills to make constant corrections between your velocity and the velocity of the ever-expanding universe. Then there’s the question of, if you get to your goal in space-time, can you come back to your original departure point without reversing time. That may be another navigational problem.

but then could there be an infinite amount of energy in one point relative to more energy still being elsewhere…?

[size=150]James[/size] sorry about what i said in that other thread if it offended you deeply…

A while back I outlined my idea of a spacecraft which could reach great distances without tremendous energy consumption. Since i’d hate translating the whole thing, i’ll post the link so if you’re in the mood - check it out!

Space Drive

The sketches themselves should be clear enough, even without google-translating the page. If they’re not - i’m here to clarify…

Why, you’re missing some parts? Bummer…! :frowning:

Emm… I don’t know to what you are referring, but if you think you said something that offended me, SHAME on you. [-X

Good enough.

Now that i finally found time and actually remembered this topic, i shall try to clarify what my spacecraft would be like.

We can see in the figure above that the driving force is created via changing the radius of rotation of the flywheels’ barycenters (centers of mass) in relation to the center of the rotating discs. The area hatched in red represents the intensities (not vectors)of the redundant centrifugal force created on the 3pi/2 - pi/2 segment, which forces the entire assembly to move. This is still just an idea, but I’m over 99% sure that this vehicle could ascend from the surface of the earth, and after leaving the intense gravitational field continue to effectively accelerate without any restrictions.

Theoretically, if faster-than-light speeds are possible, it should, without major problems, after some time (eg one year of flight) reach and exceed the speed of light, but this is still in question. The problem is that, according to the original idea, the driving energy would be electric current and if it did reach the speed of light it is likely that the entire system would shut down, because the craft would try to exceed the speed of electrical charge propagation.

However, even with that, this type of propulsion has several indisputable advantages: doesn’t need large amounts of fuel, there is practically no interaction between the assembly and the environment, doesn’t pollute, and - it could fly over or even land in someone’s flower garden without disturbing the dust on the plants.

Details still to be worked out: characteristics and performance of transmission, friction minimalization, types of material used, material strains and vertical control. Regarding the stress of the materials, according to my preliminary calculations, it wouldn’t be too excessive, it should be far less than the stress produced by Petrus’ rotary ring, and immeasurably more energy-efficient. Carbon fiber technology, of course, is always welcome, but it might be sufficient and far more cost-effective to use a steel alloy, like tempered martensite or silicon-manganese steel. For successful transfer of energy from the engine (electromotor) to the flywheels all the rotations must be strictly controlled, otherwise energy will dissipate and the driving force will be either very low or non-existent. The trick is that all moving parts must have the same angular velocity and

This principle of operation is technically flexible, and there are many variations in utilizing the excess spin. The figure below shows a more advanced and simpler form of the same basic propulsion principle.

To drive the “rotating mass” we could use electromagnets, like in ultra-fast trains.

All in all, this is pretty much how the final product would look like:

This idea is about a year old now. In the meantime, I figured out the vertical control problem - instead of treating the whole contraption as a spacecraft, we could treat it as a “drive cell” - several devices like these spread throughout a much larger vessel of any shape could, if the force/mass ratio is adequate, provide a much better solution. Simply increasing the resulting force on a particular drive cell would act as a steering wheel, and it would make maneuvering simple and efficient.

The price of the prototype would be, by my guess, less than $ 1 million and a working model, if all goes as planned, about 10-15 thousand…