Undesigned coincidences in the Gospels

I first heard about these from Professor Tim McGrew:
wmich.edu/philosophy/index.p … _interview

Here are a few examples:

(Note: numbers are being skipped on purpose because I am sticking to ‘internal’ coincidences amongst the Gospels.)

#1: Matthew 26:67-68 Why ask him to tell them who slapped him? Luke 22 They blindfolded him.

#2: Mark 6:31 Why are many coming and going? John 6:4 The Passover pilgrimage.

#3: Matthew 8:14-16 Why in the evening? Mark 1:21 Sabbath over at evening (cannot bear burden).

#4: Luke 9:36 Why did they keep silent? Mark 9:9 Jesus told them to tell no one (most consistently disobeyed command, lol).

#5: John 6:5 Why pick Philip? Luke 9 The setting of the miracle is Bethsaida, Philip’s “hometown” (John 1:44).

#7: John 21:15 Why ask “…more than these?” Matthew 26:33 “Though they all fall away…I will never fall away.” In John 21 Peter is done boasting and just says “Lord, you know that I love you.” Beautiful!

#8: Luke 23:1-4 Why Pilate find no guilt in Jesus? John 18:28- “My kingdom is not of this world.”
Also, John never mentions the charge against him, but Luke fills in the detail.

#10: Matthew 14:1-2 Why is Herod speaking about this to his servants? Luke 8:3 Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod’s household manager/steward. Herod knows that if he’s got questions about Jesus, talk to his Christian servants. Acts 13:1 Manaen had been brought up with Herod the Tetrarch.

#11: Mark 14:57-58 Mark 15 People mock him for saying he would destroy the temple. He never says that in Mark. John 2:18-19 Jesus says, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

These are just examples of ‘internal’ undesigned coincidences in the Gospels.

For other types and examples, and more sources for further research, go here:
ichthus77.blogspot.com/2011/07/u … y-tim.html

What do you think? :slight_smile:

…so, I assume that, even if undesigned, it can, nonetheless, be intelligible? :slight_smile:

Tangent: The Dude’s meaning only abides in movies. It is a sandcastle for the tides. At least the nihilists admit as much. If only they would both (Dude-ists, nihilists) see that they give up too much, that they would not have evolved a hunger for such meaning (a false version of which the nihilists refuse to settle) unless it actually exists.

You comprehend not, because you read the relevant passages not. [Further tangent avoided.]

Good one Ichthus. The examples suggest that there is historical depth in the gospels that might have been missed by superficial writers.

It’s not my good one, I’m just passing it along.

Even more, it shows they were not that far removed from the events, or from eye-witnesses of the events. But at the very least it is good evidence that the events in each example actually happened as recorded.