Philosophy For Us Dummies

Belief is the mother of fact. As I believe, so I am. I’m with Heraclitus in that the only thing permanent is change. Once anadherent of objective truth argued with me that knowing the capital of Bolivia is knowing an objective fact. Facts change. Well, Atlanta used to be Marthasville.

duplicate

so humans are making up these ideas about life …any evidence or is this belief…
[/quote]
Belief is the mother of fact. As I believe, so I am. I’m with Heraclitus in that the only thing permanent is change. Once anadherent of objective truth argued with me that knowing the capital of Bolivia is knowing an objective fact. Facts change. Well, Atlanta used to be Marthasville.
[/quote]
ier—how about atoms…do they exist …are we correct about hydrogen…is it a scientific fact…at least for now…because when people confuse fact with belief…we are in trouble…

The view of an atom a planetary system complete with electron orbit used to be considered fact. Science remains our best guess yet as to what comprises physical reality. What is seen as objective fact are propositions that have a wide consensus of agreement. Science of the brain has moved from phrenology to neuroplasticity. Who knows what it will entail a few decades from now.

duplicate

you and I need to explore scientific fact…do you believe in the atomic theory…do you believe that hydrogen is an atom…

I believe hydrogen can be considered an atom for now, but atom is a name for an entire universe of subatomic particles of which only a few are now known. It’s like asking me if I believe there is such a thing as a bus without regards to its constituency or activity.

a hydrogen atom is not a subatomic particle…
and I am only talking about facts that are known now…

I never said hydrogen is a subatomic particle. I’m simply mentioning complexities of constituency that you tend to ignore. What we call facts are substantiated by consensus of agreement. There is no objective reality devoid of subjective interpretation.

how do you know what I ignore…
why is your opinion about facts so important…

#-o #-o I give up. Being personal is being mostly subjective.

whats wrong with subjective…

Subjective and objective are like yin and yang. They cannot be separated. Probably personal and impersonal cannot be separated either. It is only when we communicate that we can come to an agreement as to what constitutes a fact. Hydrogen is an atom is a fact for the time being. So I’m simply saying that there is no objective fact devoid of subjective interpretation; and what we consider fact today may be considered fiction tomorrow. Our learning is a process.

So you don’t know what you mean by your own question? In that case, the answer is ‘blue’.

how much chance ier is atomic theory of matter going to change…it works…it has been tested…what are the odds…

ucc----what is your answer…I’m asking the question…please define any difficult words…

Ever hear of the particle vs wave controversy? String theory?

ier do you think that a hydrogen atom as science has shown is going to change soon…one proton and most common atom in universe…

What we know of fact is what we can predict accurately. 2 hydrogen atoms + 1 oxygen atom = water (H2O). I’m saying that it’s a bit more complex than simply saying an atom exists. The sun converts hydrogen into helium.

duplicate