Sex and the City quotes foster (female) stupidity

Yeah, if ‘whore’ means ‘inclined to promiscuity’ then I’d agree men tend to be more guilty- to the extent that I can’t imagine why anybody would try to claim the opposite.

Optimistically, because people are much more likely to be offended by the truth than by irony and they don’t want to rock boats. Cynically? Because they’re all a bunch of social Marxists using the soapbox they’ve been given to undermine one more pillar of traditional human society.

What’s so good about tradition?

It worked. What’s so good about an untested alternative?

It worked??? According to who? Back in the day, traditionally, people had slaves and witches were burned.

You didn’t answer my question.

I didn’t assert anything about untested alternatives. Burden of proof g. You didn’t answer mine either.

I sure as shit did. What’s so good about traditions is that they have a proven track record. I asked you a follow up question, you don’t feel like answering it, so now we’re all done.

A proven track record of what? You call that an answer? You expect me to believe that you’re arguing in good faith with that?

I honestly couldn’t care less what you think, I thought I made that clear. I already tried the whole ‘explain my beliefs in an honest conversation’ thing with you on multiple occasions, and in every case, you took it down to a single bullshit one-liner irrelevant to the conversation at hand. So now you get nothing from me- the moment you appear to be doing that thing you do, I drop the conversation. You should probably print this out, and tape it to the bottom of your computer monitor so you don’t have to keep asking me why when I blow you off.

Ucci, for what it’s worth, I’d actually like to know your answers to smears questions above. I really don’t think he’s being intentionally obnoxious. Tradition has a proven track record of some pretty terrible things as well. What you’re doing is a clear appeal to tradition.

I’m not arguing for any specific untested alternatives, but I think some alternatives could possibly be better ones. If we only stick to tradition we may never know.

It's a relative thing. I'm making an appeal to tradition in general, as opposed to reform in general, because Smears asked what's so good about tradition, in general.   Whether or not every single tradition ever is good, or every single reform ever is bad, would be a whole other thing, right?  Sure, traditional cultures have some some pretty terrible things. But it's not as though we have some perfect society to compare them to. The question is not 'can we think of anything bad a traditional culture has done', we have to ask if radicalism has a better track record, and it pretty clearly does not.  Hence why I asked if alternatives are any better, and hence why Smears didn't want to answer that question.

I don’t really see how you can say tradition has a better track record than reform. I don’t think we’d seek reform if tradition had such a solid track record. Also, reform seems to be a part of tradition, so I’m not sure I agree that there is any real dichotomy.

Of course, I’m admittedly unaware of the discussions you’ve had in the past with smears regarding this subject, so my comments may not even be relevant.

Why? People want different things, people don’t bother studying history, and people can’t predict/don’t care what the results of their proposed reforms will be. Surely there’s some reform movement out there you disagree with, what’s your explanation for their existence if you agree with the above?

There’s no dichotomy between tradition and change, but radical reform is another thing.

America was founded by people who wanted reform. I learned that in one of the 12 or so history classes I took in college.

As far as Hollywood goes, they are out to make money. Producers are not interested in educating, they want money, so they produce films that follow trends. In a few years they will produce other crap that the public wants to see. That is the only conspiracy, , catering to mass trends for money, not politics.

Not the film-industry follows trends which are created by the masses, but the masses follow trends which are created by the film-industry.
And then again: It was the Parliament which forbid showing women being weaker than men.

I don’t understand the question. Of course there will be reform movements I disagree with, just like some traditions. Why do I need to explain their existemce?

Each country has their issues, if your country did something like that then protest, stick your neck out there. Its an idiotic law. Here Hollywood just does it for money. Comicbook action movies are trending as well as Scifi. Previous trend was government/military / cops. Romance and family was before that and Westerns somewhere before. And I just get really disgusted when women run in the woods with high heels, trip in front of the bad guy/monsters and scream helplessly. I mean reaaally???