Philosophy For Us Dummies

Did you tell him that?

the dummies need you arc…where are you…
we need some reasonable talk here…

These days, I see little in the forums worth comment. Where is Arc? Where is Voice Out of the Wilderness? All I see about are flamers and trolls. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe it’s just my saturnine temperament talking.

Well the Internet (bless his connectivity) in in the eye of the beholder. What you are actually seeing, perhaps, is people not finding you so worthy of comment, as you expect or think you deserve.
People disagree with you and you denounce them as Trolls and Flamers. It all sounds a bit like “Burn the Heretic” to me.

Maybe you are wrong. Maybe it’s because you are dwelling on ‘depression’. Maybe you still have faith that there are answers out there to you mortality? It’s enough to test the patience of Job.

go away lev…you are angry and making personal attacks…I want evidence not opinions…

It’s ok, Turtle. Those who have little to say on topics argue personality.
So what good question do you have for us dummies today?

I am looking at the [horrible thoughts] post…that is an important topic…
maybe it will develop into a good thread…
you cant go to jail for what you are thinking…

The little reptile has said:

No, you can’t but if one continues to think about it and think about it, dwells on it to the point of rage and emplanting a seed within the brain, one may eventually end up in jail. :laughing:

of course arc…hello…that is what is always said and it may be wishful thinking…almost everyone has all kinds of bad thoughts…and we have been taught we are bad to think them or we are on the brink of being a bad person for thinking this stuff…

What part of it is “wishful thinking”?
Thoughts are neutral until they are “really” put into gear. But we do have to take responsibility for them. Relishing negative thouights, indulging in them can eventually lead to perdition. Observing them afterwards and questioning their roots, can lead to wisdom.

No, you can’t but if one continues to think about it and think about it, dwells on it to the point of rage and emplanting a seed within the brain, one may eventually end up in jail. :laughing:
[/quote]
of course arc…hello…that is what is always said and it may be wishful thinking…almost everyone has all kinds of bad thoughts…and we have been taught we are bad to think them or we are on the brink of being a bad person for thinking this stuff…
[/quote]
What part of it is “wishful thinking”?
Thoughts are neutral until they are “really” put into gear. But we do have to take responsibility for them. Relishing negative thouights, indulging in them can eventually lead to perdition. Observing them afterwards and questioning their roots, can lead to wisdom.
[/quote]
perdition I don’t want to go there…please don’t send me…some people are terrified by their own thoughts…that is a danger also because they get pushed down and may cause trouble…I don’t believe in hell

I am seeing a lot of TRASH and TROLLS out there …I love philosophy but that stuff is trash…us dummies need to do better…

turtle

I don’t recognize an after-life hell, either - only a during-life one. We normally cause our own perdition and if someone brings us to it, best for us to get away from that person.

arc----how agnostic are you about afterlife heaven…

turtle

If I don’t recognize an after-life hell, I certainlydon’t recognize an after-life heaven either. They both reside here within the brain. That’s all that I intuit.
Were I not agnostic, I still wouldn’t recognize a personal god. That Something, that Energy, would go far beyond in beauty than any judaic christian god every could - somehow for me…

very well put arc…for me also

If we become extinct then life is completely valueless, as there would be no one to judge. A thing that does not exist cannot be precious.

what do you all think about this belief system

I’m with Arc about the nonexistence of a literal afterlife hell. Hell is here and now. My ex, now deceased, used to say hell is what’s on Earth for people of another planet. I wouldn’t go that far. I recognize that we are all born under a death sentence. Our pitiful lives deserve neither an afterlife heaven or hell. And, what if this life is all we have? I’d rather believe in universal salvation, that nothing living can be lost or forever estranged from the God of whom we are a part. Yes, I’m pantheistic.

Perhaps valueless to us - but to what remains still useful.
A thing that does not exist has no consciusness nor can there be an experience.