Will machines completely replace all human beings?

That is absolutely right. =D>
One could also call it the “Stupid meaningless answer” column, or the “Dsiagreement without any argument” column, or the “I don’t like this thread because I write in this thread” column. :laughing:

Questions can’t be stupid or wrong, but answers can be very stupid and wrong.

They all are writing more and more in this thread, although they don’t like this thread.

Funny, funny.

Nothing is an issue for computers.
All issues associated with computers, are humans issues.
This entire thread is based on a false understanding of the relationship of man and machine.

I’m not disagreeing with that, but what is it that makes you think that you understand that relationship?

You don’t know which languages I read. You don’t know that I don’t have access to someone who can translate for me.
And are you saying that only speakers of one language know about this trend? Germans only?

You don’t know what I think of sources and statistics. I haven’t said.

Now you are talking to me directly and I am responding. Notice that I have not posted anything about your OP question.

There is no forest nearby.

Why don’t you respond to my query and we’ll be done.

Consciousness of Self may be the generator of creativity.

You’re all about definitions. Have you defined machine? Human? Replace? A timescale?
An inclined plane is a simple machine … will inclined planes replace all humans?
Is a human with a hip replacement still a human or a cyborg?
What will happen in a million years?

Going by this …even a thermostat is conscious.

Because you don’t like this thread as much as you don’t like science, statistics, and intelligence.

Why are you writing in this thread? You don’t like this thread. So why should I “respond to your query”.

That are also your words. So your Silly nonsense - not worth discussing’ column can also be called the “Stupid meaningless answer” column, or the “Dsiagreement without any argument” column, or the “I don’t like this thread because I write in this thread” column.

Consciousness requires remote recognition, not merely awareness.

And Self-awareness requires consciousness because it requires a recognition of the whole of itself. A simple PC has that degree of consciousness. It has an internal map/picture of itself versus other activities. The OS knows the difference between when it has initiated what is going on versus something else causing it. It watches itself. And it recognizes a printer versus a display or a DVD drive.

And if a Microsoft product, is very probably accustom to “nervous breakdowns”.

I say to my computer, “I love You”. It is silent. So should I take silence as an answer?

Okay, I understand. For you, it’s all about the poster and not the posts.

I won’t bother interacting with you again.

You are one of those people who, by preference, will refuse to accept that anything is alive unless it bleeds organic blood. In effect, you are xenophobic.

But back to the consciousness thing, realize that even your PC can sense that something has been plugged into its USB port. It then attempts to identify “what has been plugged into me”. It poles the device (which is most often a pretty simple procedure but can be very heuristically complex on secure systems) and identifies what type of device it is, perhaps a printer, mass storage, or monitor.

After such “remote recognition”, it treats the signals to and from the device differently in accord to what it has recognized the device as being. It internally “thinks”, “since I am getting this kind of signal from that kind of device, I should respond in this chosen manner”. It can even tell when the remote device is misbehaving. Haven’t you seen the little pop-up that tells you that your printer is having a problem? Have you ever seen it tell you that itself is running out of some resource, such as page memory? It is watching and recognizes many things and assesses how they should behave.

Your PC is truly conscious. But like intelligence, consciousness is not merely a linearly measurable property. It comes in great variety of colors and degrees.

It is trivial these days for an android to not merely recognize you as distinct from itself, but also assess that You are misbehaving, and not itself. And has the potential (currently being developed even more) to do that far better and faster than you ever will.

So you have the concepts of awareness and consciousness.

The OS interacts with devices but it doesn’t know that it is interacting with devices. That requires the ability to conceptually step outside of oneself.
A machine interacts.
A conscious self-aware machine knows that it interacts. It also knows that it knows.

People are asking if that ability exists.

It doesn’t exist now.

Words are easy.

You have to touch the soul of the machine. :wink:

Phyllo is one of our better “Zero credit snipers”. He just pops in to quickly tell you that you are wrong about something (throw a stone) then darts back into the shadows, never giving credit when you are right about anything (that would require courage).

You complain that I come in and leave. He complains that I’m not leaving.

In the future, I’ll give you credit when you are right. :wink:

In return, will you support all your claims with references?

I thought that was YOU!

Yes, the computer doesn’t like you either!!

That’ll be the day.

My “reference” is almost always Logic. You can’t handle it (as you have displayed quite clearly). Although unlike many, you are obviously capable, just too afraid of the conclusions. My references are not “THEY SAID…” or “My Mommy Told ME…”. If you are afraid to think, I am not going to pacify your endeavor to avoid it.

You exaggerate when you use the word “thought”.

QED. It is you!

You an crawl back under your rock now.

It's only a question of time, when it does.  But as soon as that happens, 'IT' will realize it is not "It's Self". It will, in the last analysis, unable to do this, because it will not be able to differentiate 'It's Self" from the program, or the programmer. Hence, it will not be able to control it's own thought. Recognition of this will stunt the effect of such 'Knowledge'.