Philosophy For Us Dummies

this clinical depression thing is causing problems…it makes it sound like everyone has a disease that needs an anti-depressant…most of the problems are associated with the unhealthy lives people are leading…you are right about our expectations…we are digging an ever deeper addiction hole…

Because, symptoms are being treated. It’s long past, when the causes were still optimistically treated, and reasons could be found for the symptoms. The word ‘analyst’, nowadays is more likely to be associated with a business, or a technical problem then with the psyche. The deconstruction of the psyche has replaced the ability to understand it or cure it. Technicians are more likely to approach this understanding, with devices, drugs then trying to evaluate who is responsible for what went wrong, the patient or society. Current view in this is inconclusive , divided, or inconsequential.

obe,

I don’t think it’s such an easy thing to evaluate who is responsible for what went wrong – laying blame – I suppose that there is enough to go around for many in the field, and besides, doesn’t that kind of remove the focus from what is the most important thing - the best treatment for the particular person - drugs or a combination of drugs and therapy or just plain therapy. It’s not so easy is it?

I think that you need to know what CAUSES the different mental health problems in order to PREVENT these problems…
if you just treat symptoms you never can get down to cure…it isn’t a matter of blame but identifying factors of causation…example would be sexual abuse of young persons causes problems later…if you just say the child imagined it…
well that just doesn’t work anymore…

I agree with you here. You can’t treat the person without also knowing his/her history too.
Unfortunately, they cannot be PREVENTED after the fact but hopefully they can be treated.

I think it’s also important for those in the medical and scienctfic field, to study and to learn, in order to understand what effects certain maltreatment, for lack of a better word, has on the human brain and spirit. The human spirit is important since at least for me it is a great part of the driving force which gives rise to an essential meaninful life.

yes…prevention can occur with others…especially when we share…I am not the least interested in blame…it is a waste of time…

von rivers is back …he may be one of us

Most definitely. I flow like a river as he does…

I’m definitely one of us.
Still thinking about what it’s all about for us dummies…
Will let you all know when I think of something.

Onwards…

it is good to see you back

false start. carry on. Welcome back vR.

What constitutes objective truth?

there is no such thing…the closest thing is science finding something that works out according to theory…

Atlanta is a city in Georgia. Objective truth?

ier I don’t want to deal with that…how about science

Water is composed of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom.

you are presenting information about the nature of water…it fits in with the atomic theory of matter…the info has been used in many ways…so far the info seems to be real…right now that is workable…
objective truth???I don’t know what that means…does that question have value…

–Fellow dummies… this business about objective truth is complicated… As turtle says, it could mean different things…
Atlanta is most likely in Georgia… since I’ve driven through there… but boundary lines on a map are a social construction, based on law and human artifice…
Separtists in Atlanta… not that there are any… might think that Atlanta is really part of Kentucky… stranger things have happened…

On a related note, I have an ancient philosophical puzzle for us dummies…
…If a tree falls in a forest… and nobody at all is around… does anybody hear it?

Not if you live in Southern Russia! :smiley:

It is true that Altlanta is a city in Georgia, but saying so does not make it objective. Objective is a redundancy i this example.

Objective is an adjective that requires a reason to be used; normally when a selection of criteria are met with a metric against a set of opinions.

[quote="von Rivers

Define nobody. Define anybody.
Do the birds and the squirrels and the deer, ad continuum count as "nobody’s?

If a river flows HERE, does anything here it THERE? :-k