Do you really love philosophy?

Why is the requirement of knowing someone’s gender needed to sound eloquent?

It’s not at all – unrealistically speaking of course, it might be perhaps if the male or female needs that extra push knowing the other’s gender in order to impress a male or female with his/her eloquence, perhaps if he or she is looking for a mate. So it might simply be about looking for a mate.

On the other hand, is it possible that it might be needed from a person’s perspective? It still comes down to that extra push, I think but - a man may use certain things: qualities, manipulations, logic/reason, heart/pathos, et cetera to sound eloquent to another man or woman and a woman – the same thing.

That might not make any sense to you though Trixie girl. But in a way, it could make sense. People are always generalizing things in here like - men and women think and feel differently about things.

Men and women do think differently. You can always find a couple of transgendered lesbians here and there but that doesnt prove the bottom line.

To change the Dna I say we get a team of scientists together and make a DNA machine. We put the machine in several major cities and provide it as a free upgrade.

No, what I meant is that you don’t know the first thing about him.
I don’t know a whole lot about him either, but just from the fact that he is elderly, there were probably not even personal computers when he was at student age, let alone www.
Sure he could study philosophy from used books, and there is no reason for you to ever assume that he wouldn’t be able to figure that out by himself, and rather needed the money to pursue a degree in philosophy, not something unheard of, wanting to get a degree on a subject you love so you can find work in that field.
So who is it that needs to get help here? Sounds like you might need a little hand pulling your head out of your ass.

Ooh, the spider speaks. Mighty brave 'talkin to a Trixie like that.

Never heard about philosophy jobs. Philosophy is about being destitute and not fitting into society. Satyr is one of the best philosophers here, and he lives with his mom. Same with the ancient greek philosophers. They took prestige in their destitution, and social awkwardness. Philosophy isnt about getting paid as a philosophy job, or getting a degree in modern philosophy, never was.

Shouldn’t a philosopher live alone?

A philosopher is a person, first and foremost.

Should all people live alone?

Now apply that answer to philosophers.

Most of the best philosophers of all times lived alone.

Should all people be philosophers?

Most of the people should not live alone [size=90](thus: should not be philosophers).[/size]

Lovers of Wisdom, yes.
It would certainly create a better world if all people were philosophers - lovers of wisdom and truth too.
I can’t begin to imagine what that world would look like. Maybe like some kind of a beautiful monastery where all men (and women) work together to achieve a common goal.

Why did most of the best philosophers live alone? I’m asking.
Was it because basically they needed the silence and the outer and inner space?
Was it because basically their lives stemmed around their thinking and seeking rather than working for money - though being a philosopher is truly working - mental labor is much more difficult than physical labor.
Even a modern-day philosopher who works at philosophy - a university or any another job, needs that SPACE for himself.
He chooses a solitary life in the name of his first lOVE AND and PASSION.

We dance.

She’s being competitive.

By the way, wasn’t your ideal to destroy the universe?

I have wondered about this myself. I do not think I really love it. I hunger for it sometimes. I can’t stop it. So, I concluded philosophy was a birth defect that I have.

Yes but I believe in upgrading the species first and letting them have their fun for a while.

Can philosophy be a “birth defect”?

It is a condition that I have suffered from since an extremely young age. As young as my memories go. No one else I know has it. it has impeded me from being what others call ‘a success’, or even ‘socially acceptable’; maybe even ‘compliable’. It must be a defect, then. So, a birth defect. :laughing:

Only perhaps if one or two of the parents had it within their bloodstream or thir genes.
I’d call philosophy more of a healthy, optimal addiction.

Bist Du sicher?
Are you sure?

“As young as your memories go” - that means: when you were about 2 to 3 years old. So you do still not know for sure whether it is a “birth defect” or not. And to “hunger for” philosophy “sometimes”, as you said, does not necessarily mean that it is a “defect”. But if you “can’t stop it”, as you also said, then it could probably be a “defect”. Hmm … :-k

Those aren’t ideals, Trixie. They are opinions.
Truth is beauty is an ideal.
Nature is Divine I think is an ideal.

Sorry Arc to change the venue, but i am so much enthralled. I am literally sitting in Les Deux Magots, on Boulevard St. Germain, sipping beer, (they still serve absenthe), where among others, Sartre sat ca. 1940-44. I have amazing vibes here, and next door
is another place Cafe de Flores, well it’s indescribable, but i am in 7th heaven.
I am only writng this in support of the OP, that I
really love philosophy. The situation, the setting, the atmosphere, are all perfect, and it’s a rainy day but sitting under a glass canopy, where i can see and smell the raindrops.

I am vey exited to be here and be able to share this experience with all at ILP.