Is a human authentic dasein (existence, life) possible?

Yes.

Then why did you start the topic with precisely this question?

I started the topic with that question in order to find out what some ILP members think about the topic.

I can understand that.
Do you want me to give you a Freudian perspective on that?

I also can understand that.

Feel free to do it.

As a writer once said, there really aren’t any adults at all, just children in more grown up bodies. So your analysis here on the count of children and adults per “authenticity” capacity is dubious. Much more elaboration would be needed for you to make your point, let alone defend it.

Your “writer” is wrong.

So as long as people remain extremely naive and healthy, they can live “authentically”/“honestly” (albeit childishly).

But then exactly who is going to ensure they stay that way throughout generations? Children are far from being self-governing (as anyone can see at the UN).

We can say that an “authentic human life” means a “life according to the human’s nature”, whereas an “unauthentic life” means a “life according to the human’s culture/s”.
In other words: Humans need their culture/s to not live according to their nature and need their nature to not live according to their culture/s.
If humans are humans because of about 2% of their nature and because of about 98% of their culture/s (=>#), then they have merely a chance of about 2% to live authentically.

How so?

Life is a journey - An experience.

We want to live well - to have a valuable journey.

Anyone can pursue this, regardless of their environment.

To act to the best of one’s knowledge, with due consideration, in pursuit of one’s ideals - that’s authentic.

To enable the flourishing of that which one values - authentic.

We have a plentiful source of wisdom within.

Our bodies don’t lie. They always respond authentically to their environment.

We have created a difference, or differance, to set the stage for the showdown of the noumenal with the phenomenal world, and if I were aKantian, I could say, we should stick to our guns and resist the phenomenal invasion into our cultural authenticity.
But, this has been the war since the Rennaissance, ever accelerating, and brought into focus in the twentieth my (WWI&II) , and now, the Third Stage,
The final possibility for a resolution of ressentiment.

It’s possible but only with the complete destruction of the giant prison structure known as civilization first.

We had an authentic lifestyle of freedom and independence in animalistic form at one point in human history where civilization destroyed that completely.

Civilization is where humanity has conquered itself creating a virtual prison of enslavement, servitude, dependency, and social bondage.

The problem arises that this dangerous human enterprise has become so self destructive that once it destroys itself it will probably make all of life impossible in an extinction style event…

Not what people wanted to hear but my two cents on the subject nonetheless.

We’ve heard of ‘the cultural revolution’ before, and it has been tried within various utopian visions. Soit’s not going to go that way, for sure, time cannot wait, as with interest ptincipal draws, it cannot wait. The inflation eats away at a dormancy. So there is no economic factors within cultural revolution either, political economy is very top heavy for that, the trickle down theory made that perfectly clear.

What remains? Either fully blown projects for escape, like those of SpaceX, and/or simultanious creation of virtul worlds, completely authenic looking, (while waiting for ticket to ride), and unless both can be achieved before a critical mode is reached, authentic dasein will not only become outdatedm but impossible. I give it one more generation, although may be off on that.

You give one more generation? You’re optimistic…

Because they are part of the nature.

You told me that you beleived in the “world peace”/“perpetual peace” (Kant), Orbie, so at least in this way you are a Kantian. … Do not forget …

Sorry for not acknowledging your contributions.

Furthermore, if one fancies themselves a determinist -

One can say it’s impossible to do any action that is inauthentic.

As all actions are a direct response to the past - and the mind is not beyond the body in terms of causality.

This is not to say all actions are ideal to us, rather that they are sincere actions resultant from the vast array of human drives / priorities / influences.

Well said.

[I believe…]

Culture was an outgrowth of ourselves. It was shaped by our ancestors, and continually influenced by new generations.

Over time, certain aspects of our culture were rewarded/reinforced and became inflated in comparison to us - out of proportion, as a reflection of ourselves.

We ought determine our culture, not it us . And that is the disconnect. Our culture/society has grown to be an entity beyond any of us, and pressures us to contort/conform to something maladjusted to us.

Yet, culture/society still has a degree of authenticity. In science, philosophy, art, community (and more) - areas where despite the chaos / noise, people can be genuine to their humanity. And these fields can influence, guide us, and promote healthy growth.

Therefore, I wouldn’t say that all culture distances us from authenticity.

@Ariminius:
It took me while because I was thinking about how deep to go. I logged in now because I decided on the short Freudian version. I am also considering starting a new topic in the coming days on a related topic that I have recently been pondering. I will pm you if/when I do.

Here goes:

Freud is famous for his seperation between ‘it’, ‘ego’ and ‘superego’. The way he means that is that the ego (what we (decide) to show the world) is build up of a compromise between what we really are (the drives known as ‘it’) and what we think we should be (what we have learned from the world around us/culture known as ‘superego’).

Now, this means that the ‘real’ is factually what Freud calls the ‘it’. It encompasses our natural drives; our connection to the real world. In that sense really ‘being there’ for a 100% is absolutely blocked by our cultural superego.

Some examples:
-A child has no problem laughing and crying with friends. Only when we get older we learn it is not received well if we cry, or get mad or something like that. So, we leard to ‘hide’ our real drives.
-Teenagers might feel the drive to immediately grab eachother and start fucking in the car/toilet/whatever. When we get older we learn our culture does not allow this. In fact, some people feel this so strong that they get into trouble showing sexual attraction at all.

This does not mean it is impossible for adults to really be there, but it does make it a lot more difficult. We could momentarily ‘let go’ of previous lessons and cultural ideas and really be there in the moment.
The question arises if one actually should promote this in the first place. Imagine someone liking the campfire so much he burns himself. Most kids hurt themselves once or twice that way. And how to judge the pervert that drags a girl into the bushes to have his way with her? He must have let go of the cultural inhibition to an extreme. Then again, the first kiss is always scary. We might be encouraged not to try by our culture. Letting go at that time out of love seems to be the right thing to do.

If you ask me, life takes a combination of restrains and moments of letting go. I have considered that the leading emotion should be indicative of when to let go and when not to. But this is not the only condition. There are moments and places to let our drives run their course(s). If we do not control when we do so, things can be anything from embarrassing to downright scary.

Well, I hope this benefits someone.

The precise translation:

• “Es” <=> “id”
  • “Ich” <=> “ego”
  • “Über-Ich” <=> “superego”.

Very young children already learn what their culture allows and forbids.

Glad to see someone ELSE point that out. :wink: