Why did we stop inventing gods?

We did not invent God(s). We invented a god concept that evolved according to our spiritual understanding. Bob was absolutely right on this point. By way of Greek and oriental influences, the Hebrew God became the Christian God. So what is the latest concept of God? Is it still locked into the understanding of ancient Hebrews and 1st century Christians?

Indeed he does.

Did we?

What about the new gods, for example the “scientific” gods.

I’d say the modern day version of god is false idols.

Good point.

Either we did not invent gods or we invented false gods (idols).

The first “gods” for a child are the parents of the child. Later the child learns what “gods” mean or/and what a “god” means. So that learning of the concept “god/gods” by children is a part of the ontogenetic development. I think that the learning of the concept “god/gods” by erstwhile adults, thus a part of the phylogenetic development, is similar to the ontogenetic development. Ancestors had and have been gods for a very, very, very long time.

Modernity fights the origin. So theologically said, modernity means inventing false gods (idols). But in other times and always for children gods are not an invention but a part of the development of language-based thought from the concrete to the abstract.

Foolishness.

No Gnostic Christian believes the myth we created to put against the Christian myth. We do not hold any supernatural beliefs. Those are only good for those who refuse to think.

Regards
DL

Originally, most of the Eastern gods were androgynous so specifying female was not required. All souls were seen as androgynous.

I do recognize that Christianity and Islam have made women second class in terms of ideology, — even as they try to say they do not.

Regards
DL

I guess that you are not aware of Jung and Freud’s Father Complex.

You might want to look it up, although you believe in the supernatural so natural things might elude you.

Regards
DL

So you prefer to lie to children and damage their minds with immoral beliefs of their supernatural condemnation.

That is hardly a way to a better future.

Regards
DL

Only to those who have incorrectly branded science and atheists.

Christianity should have science as their god.

If they had that then perhaps Christianity would have grown itself by good deeds instead of the sword.

Regards
DL

I do not think so except where any of the Abrahamic cults can profit from the acquaintance.

Each creed will think the other is following the wrong doctrine.

I do not think religions had much to do with spirituality in the beginning.

It was all about the money just as it is today.

youtube.com/watch?v=r7BHvN6rZZA

Regards
DL

To some few perhaps.

Science is exactly where most mainstream religions are.
With their many theories to precede the Big Bang, science has created their own scientific god of the Gaps and he sits with the religious gods of the gaps.

Regards
DL

I do not agree as I see the ancients as more modern in their thinking than the lying religions like Christianity and Islam that we suffer today.

Modernity is just showing how big those religions are on lying.

Here is how we should think of any god. Without attributes as none of those can be known.

bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

Regards
DL

Indeed.

Idol worshiping is all that Christians and Muslims do. Any who name a god are in the same boat.

Regards
DL

You don’t know me at all. I’ve read Freud and Jung. I just don’t believe in everything I read. I’m not a fan of the supernatural.

They didn’t stop inventing them, they merely started calling them something else. Unfortunately with the average intellect as it is, that is all it takes to propose that progress is forming a new world without gods.

Good. Then you should understand where and why we are creating gods for ourselves. Gods as defined as the best rules and laws to live by and so far, secular gods, laws and rules that is, have all been created by people who also put supernatural gods aside.

Regards
DL

Indeed, our intellect is growing and intelligent people recognize that supernatural gods are just fiction. God has no place in the minds of intelligent thinkers.

That is why the religious fear intelligent reasoning and logic.

Martin Luther
“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.”
“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”

Keep your faith my friend but remember that faith is only good for those who do not want the truth.

Regards
DL

Martin Luther born 1483, died 1546

That’s a modern reference. It’s how every religious person thinks in 2016. :evilfun: