Interesting New Philosophy Project

Hey guys,

I recently completed my Masters in Philosophy and as we all know, jobs are scarce for people that actually like to think. I’ve decided that I’d really like to create educational videos that are well-researched and visually informative. You might have seen the youtube channel “minutephysics”, and I really like his format. There isn’t really anything similar for philosophy.

I’ve made two videos just to see what response I get, and whether I should continue and put more effort into it.

I’m really sorry if I shouldn’t be posting this here. If I’m in the wrong place please correct me.

Here’s a link to two the first two videos, which are about greek ethics (sophism and Plato’s Gorgias):

youtube.com/watch?v=MUKRbKj … je&index=1

If you have any feedback for me it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Good idea.

It is a question of supply and demand.
If you supply what is needed and there is a reasonable demand then your venture will be successful.
So it is a question of knowing your market, e.g. general, niche, etc.

If your video target audience is for beginners of some extent, the presentation and speaking seem to be rather fast.

Btw, what software are you using?
Is that your hand that is writing?

Pretty good. Reminds me of the “Introducing …” series of visual/comic philosophy books, which I always liked.

Ethics 1 had a lot of content stuffed into 5 minutes. It could probably be split up into two or more videos.

I think that you need to avoid philosophy jargon. Someone new to philosophy would be confused by some of the words.

Ethics 2 has a different feel. It was very much a “he said and then Socrates said” format. I preferred the summary style of Ethics 1.

Excellent project.

A) Learn to do voice-over so the voice isn’t equally over-sped.
B) Be very certain to avoid prejudice implications of who was more correct.

Hey!

Thank’s so much for your responses.

Prismatic, yeah it’s my hand. I set up a little rig to hold a camera above my paper. It’s all very amateurish at this stage. I used Windows Movie Maker for those two just because it was easy. I will definitely look into better software moving forward though.

phyllo, thanks for your response. I’ll definitely that on board for the next video.

James, thanks to you too. That’s a very good point. My ethics course material, which was written by Alistaire MacIntyre, is FULL of bias, primarily in favour of Aristotle, so I need to be sure to notice all that!

I’m working on Plato’s Republic at present. I’ll be sure to take your advice on board and will post it here when it’s done!

Many thanks again guys.

Hey,

Here’s another video.

youtube.com/watch?v=lo3t9y4rI7U

Criticism / advice is welcomed.

Thanks

It temps me to want to argue with all characters involved.
I guess that is a good thing. :sunglasses:

• Category titles for each slide would help (or most).
  • Voice still sounds like a 14 year old.

To be honest, you can most likely not make a living out of these videos (even not any serious buck).

If you’d made some keyword research you’d see that topics you target have just too little searches… That means - the interest in the topics is not high enough to generate enough views, which you could potentially monetize with ads and make some money…

On the other hand, if you do this as a part of a bigger plan, for example to build your name as a thinker and philosopher, to get subscribers and later possibly publish a philosophy book and promote it using your YT channel, it could work… However, be aware that to realize this plan is not easy and require an awful lot of work… :slight_smile:

Source: First hand experience, I’m an internet marketer.

Good videos when it comes to the introduction of philosophy. But what about the voice? Is there “My Little Pony” speaking? :wink: