Synthetic Food

In Japan, human feces are reconstituted and reprocessed and sold in markets to use as an alternate source of nourishment. It is flavored and colored to simulate real meat.

In the Phillippines garbage is picked up by restaurants and again reprocessed to appear likewise as bona fide food. and all classes knowingly consume it, sometimes preferring it to the real thing. Purely synthetic food , however is still in the works, I believe.

Was aiming for something a little less soylent.

There is all ready a lot of “real meat” I don’t eat. You could make flavors up that didn’t have to try to be something else.

Sorry, I was going to edit it, but it is real, by the time I got to do it, You had already commented on it.

Please forgive the tastelessness of it, but the world is desperate for alternate food supply, as 10 billions of people are projected to live on our planet.

Sorry, yes, I am afraid of the problem getting worse before it gets any better.

It would be interesting if we were no longer dependent on the living food chain for our nutrition. Would some of us still relish the sport?

I strongly prefer real food.

Can you talk about that bias? I mean how much synthetic food have you had to have arrived at that preference? And why wouldn’t it be “real”.

It would be real food, in the sense it fulfills your nutritional requirements, and if it tasted good and was pleasing to the palette, what the heck? I don’t think food requires that it was once living. So far that has sort of been all that was available.

With the current options that are out there, I think food that was once alive is just better overall. Maybe some innovations occur to change my mind, but even then I’m pretty sure there’s a lot of living things that I would still want to eat.

Just go to the what’s for dinner thread for some examples. Most all the pics that I posted are of real food. Maybe all of them unless I somehow ate synthetic food and just didn’t realize it. There was this one weird pastry that I bought from a self righteous hipster coffeeshop place where it was literally free of everything. No gluten, vegan, and like a half dozen other adjectives. It wasn’t really great but I would eat another one if you had one.

Given a potentially available alternative; would you still make it as a choice?

I’ve thought of posting some of the concoctions I’ve come up with, but like selfies… why? The only people that need to see it are the ones that eat it.

Does it’s appearance alone provide any nourishment?

Maybe. But I don’t think I could give up food that was once alive. Man, there’s a place near me where these guys are doing all kinds of crazy stuff. Rare venison just lightly seared and drizzled in some crazy sauce, duck confit, lamb shanks, stuffed rabbit, stuffed quail, I mean…I can’t just give that kind of stuff up.

I think you underestimate the creative potential.

Maybe. Show me something that’s better than a chunk of veal on top of some seared foie gras.

I’ve had veal. What about it did you find appealing? Honestly I couldn’t tell a difference between beef killed less then a year old and beef killed that was two years old.

Maybe life is that trivial.

It’s just a lot more tender. The texture is different. I don’t know why it’s any different for a cow to live a longer or shorter life. Kill them both I’ll eat both.

I am curious. You seem to have turned a discussion of synthetic food into a slaughter house.

But you really haven’t given any better reason then a preference.

I don’t see life as trivial. I just don’t think it’s wrong to eat meat. Most of these animals are bred for consumption. If it weren’t for people planning on eating them then they’d have no life at all. In a sense, the bit of life that they do get to experience is a result of that consumption.

Dude, I asked if you had a choice.

Synthetic food as an alternative was presented and the only difference was it didn’t involve killing anything to eat. It could be fashioned into any flavor or texture that was appealing to the palette, the only difference was it never lived.

How do you walk like a duck and act like a duck and not expect me to believe you aren’t talking like a duck too.

Well if the only difference was that it wasn’t once alive then no problem. But I am skeptical that such products exist.

Sorry, If that were the only difference and you could throw what ever financial resources in that direction that you could. I can’t speak for any other living form but thanks. Being eaten is not high on my to do list.

What if you could never have any life at all…OR…you could have a few good years of relaxing and grazing in a nice field where someone made sure you were healthy and fat but then you had to be eaten? Which would you choose?