Freewill exists

Calm down Eccy its just a difference of opinion stop ranting like a madman

I am a madman, madman.

No don’t touch him! Stand back and let him rage. This is the progress we’ve been waiting for. It’s that anger that might very well be the thing he needed to get laid. I say make that sonofabitch so infuriated that he shoves his keyboard off the desk, smashes his hyperdimensional mirror, puts his blue coat on, marches right down to the chili’s bar n grill and buys the first hottie he sees a beer in a magnificent spectacle of approach escalation. And when she says ‘yes’, by god she’ll mean YES.

we may have just made a breakthrough in ecman’s therapy. Whatever you do, DON’T CALM HIM DOWN!

You guys are both funny (hilariously so, not haha)

So here’s the deal.

I know for a fact that evolutionary runaway sexual selection has conditioned your minds to parrot what you need to parrot to get sex from women.

You’ll even go so far as to state that something as self evident as your own existence (and mine for sure) is just subjective.

Like I always say to you guys who think you’re these gritty postmodern badasses. If you took a mind like mine and gave it morals like yours, you’d rue the day you were ever born.

That goes for the whole lot of you!

And to think that someday nature might compel me to debate him!

I can’t believe you said I’m not a gritty postmodern badass. How could you say such a thing? I thought we were tight, man.

I’ll remember that.

Number one - I am celibate so have no need to get sex from women
Number two - my existence is self evident and therefore objective

You mentioned that before.

Well, I’m an incel because women only sexually consent to no means yes relationships.

And I’m trying to remain a shred of dignity on a planet that just doesn’t care anymore.

Sorry to confuse you with subjectivists.

So… here are my thoughts …

I don’t think I have much more to say on ILP…

Hyperdimensional mirror realities are the only solution to all problems.

So, I think I’ll just fade off and merge with the cosmos. (That’s not a suicide note!!).

Postmodernists bore me now.

Once I figured out that’s all women will fuck, I lost interest in the species.

I like reference.

Oh well.

I just realized…

I’ll complete my posting history here by talking about the ins and outs of hyperdimensional mirror realities.

I may be compelled to misunderstand you here more than you are compelled to misunderstand me but it is ecmandu that nature may or may not be compelling me to debate.

I’ll let peacegirl be compelled to decide. :wink:

I feel the point of wisdom is to understand that compelling and bypass it when such is possible, as something ‘compelling’ could appear as instinctual or a falling for such.

What say you or anyone?

I just got frustrated with silhouette here.

When silhouette argues that identity doesn’t exist in any way, but then uses identity to make his arguments, that’s pretty much it for me.

Silhouette, there isn’t a difference between contradiction and a logical fallacy. Logical fallacies are inference contradictions, not explicit.

You hit upon the contradiction of your fallacy at the convergence point of the fallacy by stating you don’t exist. In this way, you are a direct contradiction (not implicit) of your fallacy.

If they want to confine themselves to limitation, then let them.

To say one is bound to determinism is to say we are confined, let’s just say there is no confinement within determinism itself because it has already determined itself free, by there being an infinity of options and change within its “confines” itself.

I can do just about whatever I want to do within the universal laws in terms of inventing and being whom I want, I’m not going to let slaves tell me those options aren’t available to my selection just because they don’t appear to them. The limits one has are the limits one creates.

I can be an astronaut, can be a musician, a writer… but I have chosen psychology in school and am merely waiting. Options are limitless.

The conflation of possibility with actuality.

You “could have been” an astronaut, a musician, a writer - and yet you weren’t. Why not?
There will have been reasons that determined you not to choose them.
If you choose them in future, there will be a reason that determines it.

Options are “theoretically” limitless, but in practice some things will simply never occur to you. Would an Ancient Greek have been considering what social media apps to use? Would the first humans be considering the fluid dynamics that are necessary to successfully propel a rocket to the moon? They didn’t even know what the moon was. Even today we won’t in our wildest dreams be considering the everyday options available to people far enough into the future.
The “freest” of people do not have infinite options available to them in reality whether I “tell you” this is the case or not - the most basic reason being that we are finite beings with finite brains and memories with finite (although huge numbers of) connections, thoughts take finite time to flit recognisably in our consciousness, and we have a finite life span - mathematically options are limited.

Are you under the impression that anyone is a slave to mathematics? Are you suggesting that 2+2 could equal 5 to the non-slave?

You already make the concession “I can do just about whatever I want to do within the universal laws”, which in themselves are limits. Are you saying that if you remove those limits, free any slavelike tendencies in your mind, the effects described by gravity can cease to apply to you and things around you? Magnets could cease to operate to one who frees their mind from Determinism? By your admission I don’t think you are, and yet in the same sentence you argue that you are. This is your contradiction. Funnily enough the stability of your entire being would cease in an instant if you freed yourself from universal laws.

By all means, be in awe of the large number of options that do occur to you, the uncommon ideas that do occur to you, and the unique paths that you actually do choose as a result of these things, but in reality there are limits you simply can’t shake whether I “tell you” or not. It’s not like I’m ordering you to reduce your thinking, you’re reduced whether I say anything or not… I’m sorry you don’t like this, but by the above arguments and all the other ones I’ve said, and more no doubt, life is a limit and this is reality. I feel like a parent telling their kid Santa isn’t real. I’ve already pointed out the irony that it’s quite possible that my mind is “more free” than yours for being able to abandon the romance of unlimited Free Will - I wonder if you’ve given this any serious thought yet - and by serious I don’t mean assuming it’s wrong before you even consider it. You have all your free thinking ahead of you - call me a slave all you like and it’s still psychological projection.

From what I can tell, Free Will advocates can’t square the fact that they have a large imagination that seems not to be contained, with the reality that it all can be and is contained. Funnily enough, your concession of “I can do just about whatever I want to do within the universal laws” sums up every single limit there is on both action and thought. Outer space, the earth, animals - even the human brain operates exactly how it does exactly because of these universal laws alone. Nothing more is needed, which is why the “four fundamental forces” are so named. Saying this is actually an admission that you are an entirely deterministic being whether you can accept this or not.

Add it to the pile of made up wishful thinking if you want…

Formal fallacies are the most explicit of fallacies, e.g. (P->Q, Q) → P
Contrast this with a contradiction: ¬P ^ P where there is mutual exclusivity.

A clear difference. Now, the way you think is to reduce things to very specific circumstances where the difference is no longer clear, in order to justify False Equivalence - this is a logical fallacy.
You don’t like logical fallacies since your arguments rely on them, so you try to explain them away by the same means.

And you get frustrated with people who call you out on your bullshit…
I appreciate the effort to try and create, but it doesn’t mean you’ll be any good at it. Sure, keep trying, learn from the mistakes people teach you and move on to new things but you’re obsessed with a small number of terrible, flawed ideas that you just won’t move on from - like a song-writer insisting they have written the greatest song of all time and trying to perform it better and better their whole life, without anyone else liking it. There’s clearly something psychologically amiss with you, which is my greatest worry - it feels like your entire identity and emotional sense of self-worth is grounded in bad ideas. Fortunately one of humanity’s greatest strengths is denial, but that just makes me sad for you. Not your problem, I guess - religious fanatics can spend their whole lives in echo chambers without ever admitting fault in their nonsense, I’m sure you can do it too.

FYI, I said identity has existence in terms of utility, just not in terms of truth. You say I argue “that identity doesn’t exist in any way”.
Continue to misunderstand and misrepresent me to yourself and others if it makes you feel better, but you’re a liar if you do.
You complain that I use identity, when I plainly said I do and why, and it’s still a Tu Quoque fallacy to criticise this. The fact that you don’t understand fallacies doesn’t excuse you here (which ironically is the personal incredulity fallacy).

You know, it’s funny. You try and equate logical fallacy and logical contradiction, whilst also saying logical fallacies always have holes where proofs using logical contradiction never have holes.
I mean… come on :laughing: Have your cake or eat it - you can’t have both.
Consider for the first time in your life that you might be wrong.

Silhouette,

You’re really going to argue that Tu Quoque doesn’t have a convergence point, that doesn’t make it a false equivalency in the special case of stating that identity is false (with the exception that it’s utile)?

It’s ultimately utile, yet ultimately false.

Which is it?

I need to say this about silhouette additionally,

You are a very nasty person silhouette!

What I actually mean by this, after having read through all of your posts again, is that it would take a very terse person like myself easily 30 pages to go through all those disproofs.

Your posts are not intellectual work, they just create busy work for intellectuals.

So here’s the deal, I decided only to focus on the Tu Qouque, because if you’re wrong on that, you have to backpedal on all your arguments in this thread about freewill, you have to return to the corner that I put you in.

That’s called intelligence.

I found your contradiction here:

So what is it?

Utility is ultimate

or

Utility is ultimately false

There is no abandoning the future and infinity of possibilities within law. How far ahead can you think in the future? You can’t dictate what is imagination and what is not if you do not think in the future, which is “imagination” it’s an estimation of most probable effects/causes.

I can be whatever I want, what if I do all of them? I pick psychology because in order to do what we want externally, people need to understand themselves internally. It is the best or most effective to be spread and taught, how to use and deal with mind. So we can be an organized and functioning society and species, aimed at the future, a higher aim than what is aimed for now, currently, unless you think right now is sufficient?

No one said there wasn’t a reason but I get to pick that reason or it’s pursuit, in any given present moment, I could also experience such non directly. The subconscious may actively pick for the (conscious) identity. I determine the future by the present identity not being confined solely to the past in certain aspects/facets.

I can’t estimate what an Ancient Greek would be thinking but Star Trek certainly may have been and I’ll take it as a sign that yes, we can estimate the future. So tell me, what is imagination? Something you don’t understand? I never said some cannot be exaggeration but there is still truth to be taken in/from exaggeration. Which is what we do and have constantly been doing, if not, then why aren’t we still Ancient Greeks right now? Where did the internet and social apps come from?

Self projection? That’s funny, we’re all slaves but the one who understands how to control his environment and “confinement” in being a slave to better suit the slaves needs and wants, then is the slave still a slave?

Do you enjoy being a slave? If so then how are you a slave? Because you can’t go faster than speed light? Because you can’t float off the ground without some form of an invention to make such a reality?
Because you can’t shoot lightning out of your fingers? Again without some form of invention.

There is no limit of possibilities for what we can do within the laws themselves, it’s an expansion and we can’t say these laws will always apply everywhere either.

Separate the truth from the noise, same concept with imagination, there are always elements of truth hidden in imagery. This is a fact.

It’s plainly obvious that you’re trying to use the same terminology that I’m using to nullify your points “back at me”, but just the same as I’ve seen before with another Free Will advocate who also knew nothing about the subject, you’re using it incorrectly.

You’re also making up this weird terminology like “convergence point” that really says nothing without proper explanation - but I daren’t ask you for one, because every explanation you make seems to be in terms of evermore unclear language. Your points rarely make enough sense, it’s really frustrating when all I’m trying to do is understand what you’re saying but you’re making it as hard as possible.

Or rather you’re assuming that because you think it makes sense to you, other people should know what you mean. We don’t - and I say “we” because I see others struggling all the time too.

There are tons of useful lies, not just identity. Language itself is one - a signifier isn’t the signified, and yet it’s the only way we know to communicate about the world. Humans tell each other fictional stories in order to create meaning, but the value taken from them doesn’t make them any less fictional.
There’s this assumption I see everywhere that useful means true. No it very much does not lol. And there you go trying to invalidly throw back the contradiction I validly identified in your points… Yes identity is ultimately utile and ultimately false.

I also made a post distinguishing between two common interpretations of truth - one as objective, the other as subjective i.e. what is useful. Some people who fall in the latter category literally seem to treat the useful as truth, and disregard the actual truth as an inconvenience. The “wishful thinkers” of the world who are out to tip power in their favour, lie, cheat and steal whenever they can justify it and get away with it to attain an unfair advantage to the cost of everyone - but to others more than them. These types are the very ones you wish to denounce with your “consent” tautology, yet on this subject here you are willing to conflate use with truth?

A lot of the problems people here are having with you are solely down to your attitude - you dictate, you don’t ask questions. You show zero humility or self-critical sense checking. Come down a few pegs to where you really are and work your way back up legitimately. Make sure you make sense before insisting you do.

Artimas,

Not to take away from your post, through no fault of your own, you started a new page right after I posted this! I want to make sure silhouette gets this message:

viewtopic.php?p=2728572#p2728572

It’s about moving the tread on its topic against th choir!

Silhouette, read the post above this as well, if you are so inclined.

Silhouette,

That debate about the tautology of consent was resolved when I used the truth tables to prove that when a statement acts upon itself it changes both context and meaning, which makes it non tautological.

You bury your head in scholastics so far, like a robot, that you are shocked by any form of contradiction of them.

The Tu Quoque logical fallacy is very simple:

If someone does other than what they say, and you point it out, it is a logical fallacy.

Definitional.

So if someone says that they don’t exist (except for utility (which isn’t ultimately true (which means it isn’t true))), then it’s a logical fallacy to point out that they do exist.

I’m not being weird here like you claim. I’m using your own definitions to show that in the case of denying identity that this fallacy hits a convergence point where it is both a fallacy and a contradiction at the same time.