Morality in Abortion

Are you suggesting we should be able "to abort children until they grow an ego, or until they have he capacity to prevent us from killing them?

I am not aware of any deadlock."

No suggestions . But a part of ego , is an implicit intention to live and grow.
This does start at conception and it is part of the individuation, unless it’s multiple embryos.

The awareness may not start in the very insemination, unless the pre eminance of the sperm over the ovum could be demonstrated.

In fact spermatozo act as swimming toward a statically set of ovum, and swim toward it, the man deeply posits them into the urethra. But it is an action of the sperm, and philosophically credit meaning through manifestation as described by behaviorist later interpreting it in terms of a kind of preggenetic intentionality.

So it is arguable, on both levels, ego, and id.

Where ego and Id are broadly separable in two sets, pleasure/reality.
The ovum conceivably has more reality, for it behaves as if in a state of stasis, expecting one fortunate sperm to reach the gate, whereas millions of others do no reach that luck.

As suggested by “Perhaps this can be reduced to communicating aversion to destruction by the smallest reasonable metric”, developing an ego won’t be the smallest metric.

Something like an aversion response to threatening stimulus, which a zygote, for example, does not demonstrate. There is a time period after conception over which there is only a propensity to grow into something that can object at some basic level to being destroyed - which will occur some time during gestation.

As I understand it, part of the anti-abortion argument is taking into account the potential to grow into something that can object to being destroyed at, or beyond some basic level. This is where the 2nd of the 2 questions comes in. Dave’s feigned individualistic approach to the debate draws attention towards personal decision making about oneself, rather than for others. If a lifeform can’t yet object at a level in answer to the 1st of the 2 questions, then there is nothing against destroying it on an Individualistic level.

The only issue I see here is whether the mother and what she is growing inside of her as part of her is separate to her. If they are not separate, the mother can at all times decide for the could-be baby while they are the same organism - based on her own Individualistic response to stimulus that is threatening to part of her. If they are separate, only what the mother is growing has a “say” on this Individualistic level, and not the mother herself. After the baby is born, it has long surpassed the point at which it objects to threatening stimuli on this basic level that answers the 1st of the 2 questions.

You are aware that those who think abortion can be allowed, and those who think it cannot be allowed are still in open debate in the political sphere, I am sure. Maybe you know different, but as far as I am aware, still no consensus has been reached - therefore deadlock. And whether or not you’ve made up your own mind and formulated your own argument one way or another, this would not appear to have (yet?) brought about consensus amongst these 2+ sides.

And I agree.

Thats not what philosophy does or ever did, so this is a contraption (one made out of straw) on your part.
You appear to conflate religion and philosophy.

I didn’t say anything about having any beliefs. Nor do I agree that philosophy tries to pin down what humans should be doing with their lives.
Ive never read any philosopher who tried to do that, have you? If so, who?

Yes, Dasein reconfigures everything that touches it - that is what Dasein is.
again, no deadlock.

Ah - thats wha you think.
No, thats not how my world works. I see different interests, not “wrong” or “right”.
Again you confuse religion for philosophy.

So this is moot:

As little as I have to. Id avoid that person, because it seems that if pregnancy will ruin ones mental health, her mental health couldn’t have been very strong in the first place.

That goes for a lot of things philosophy doesn’t rule.
Philosophy can handle great human projects, general directions of thought, it can give peace with the world as it is in all its power hungry madness, but not alter the direct necessities in a womans life.

A philosophical question here could be:
What is mental health?
What is mental health that a pregnancy can ruin it?
Is mental health a form of control?

Philosophical questions which may allow you to ask your question with more clarity.

Lets just say that I wouldn’t be talking about this if I had no experience with the issue.

Because my being rooted in Dasein is not a problem for me.

Somehow - Im saying we should take his name in vain.
If we are speak of God let us do it seriously. Otherwise what sense is there in that subject?
If God is trivialized, is it still God we are speaking of?

My subject here is philosophy, I hope to show you what it is and why it doesn’t speak about abortion. Morality and abortion are closely tied though - morality is always tyrannical. Philosophy can ask whether it is required that one is tyrannical, and must conclude that it is always in one way or another required.

I disagree that here is no objective truth.
You cant attempt to disprove the idea that the world is will to power without showing a will to power over the idea of will to power.
It can be understood also through value ontology. But I don’t want to impose that on you, as from where you operate, you cant work with it.

How could you fail to miss that point?
I suggest you give it another reading.

Well I find it hard to believe that you do not know what women and autonomy have to do with abortion.

I can agree to that being the only real question if we have for the sake of the argument established that it is morally wrong to kill a being outside of oneself and not part of oneself.

I meant that it is not a philosophical deadlock.
Nor is the question whether infidels should be killed or not a question for philosophy to answer.

By the way, I would say the baby is not part of the woman since she doesn’t feel pain when it is wounded. If there is pain in the first place, which seems likely, it feels its own pain.
It is not wired into the mothers nervous system.
If the woman would feel the pain of the death, it would be a kind of partial suicide, which it isn’t, it is in the terms I just gave closer to homicide.

What is the philosophical consensus?
Generally I don’t involve myself in topics such as these, so excuse me if I am out of touch.

An interesting argument.

However, neither man nor woman feels the pain of their own e.g. liver degeneration until it has passed a certain point of damage. Do we therefore conclude that the liver is not part of the man or woman because they don’t feel pain when it is wounded, at least up until a point? Perhaps a liver is only part of them after this point? Please excuse my rhetorical phrasing. A liver does not feel its own pain though, nor does a zygote or any stage of development before sufficient development of a nervous system. Are we to say this is the deciding factor? A nervous system? Before which, homicide is impossible?

It’s a homicide to be sure.

Let’s be clear about this though.

I’ll use an analogy I used in another thread and then some…

When you gently fondle the genitals of a one month old baby… does it REALLY have any grasp of it being sexual assault??? No!! Only small kids (not infants) and adults think something is wrong. So really? How much consent does a fetus really have?

But I’ll take it a step further… if your mother and father don’t want you, what kind of narcissistic arrogant prick would you have to be to not give a shit, heartless!!

You folks want the baby to have true agency … then treat it like an adult!!! If my mother didn’t want me (and I am an adult now) then FUCK NO!! I wouldn’t want to be born!!!

That’s called the adult integrity argument for fetuses being aborted. You fucking whiners hate that you might have never been born. GROW UP!!!

If my mother wanted to travel back in time and abort me, I’d let her!!

Act like adults and stop being so damned selfish to this regard. I love my mother enough to give her that right. All you pro lifers don’t give a shit about your mothers!!

Does the human species need you selfish pricks, NO, so fuck off.

drops the mic on “prolifers”

i’m amused by the abortion debate because its one of the best existential nuggets there is for proving, beyond any doubt, that despite every attempt to either rationalize or condemn it, it remains forever unresolved. its one of those bitch-of-a-situations that demonstrates the vanity of both science and philosophy in claiming to provide any guidance (vis-a-biggs). there aren’t many of these… unresolvable dilemmas, i mean… that accentuate the real absurdity of man’s existence. it’s one of those most important problems that you’d think nature would give us a break with, ya know? capital punishment- not so difficult. women’s suffrage- easy, no problem. homelessness- duh. draft dodging- nah that totally makes sense. minimum wage- absolutely. abort the fetus- fuck.

for a thousand more years thinkers will provide some variation or another of the same basic lines of reason which have to date been used to either support or not support it… and still there will be no closure.

i support abortion, but i’m a nihilist, so being moral or not is never a question for me. if i ever got pregnant i would not hesitate to terminate the little miscreant.

But what if… The fetus is a soul?
Then that is drastic an no political twist can argue against it.

Oh not the argument of a crystal soul, of a maggot, or a rook, not the experience of politics, but, that inversion as fun, and thereby the insane woman can claim symbiosis with it, …
Could the fetus or the mother be severed by lobotomously?

The fetus as soul can gain
conscious right to life , in any case.
Who would fight for their rights?
No one would dare, no one can care!!! And no one would be able to.

Who fears for the crucified?
He was crazy , to give up his god given right to life, for whom?
The swine for whom pearls of wisdom
are as convenient as faux innuendo for and by the unknown, by the soulless ghosts of the invisible twilight, that’s it.

And that is unforgiveness!

I just solved it in the post above. Treat the fetus like an adult.

Problem of induction though?

Perhaps another identity error between t1 and t2?

You have declared it solved, but let’s see if you can incorporate here any of the lessons we’ve been discussing on the “3 Christs” thread here.

The reason I generally “don’t involve myself in topics such as these” is because of what promethean said.
I offered the Dave Chapelle inspired angle because it translates the fundamental philosophy beneath the topic into the Individualism that anti-abortionists usually support in other aspects of their lives, such that they ought to be forced to re-think their stance on abortion in light of this and their own consistency.

This angle throws into ambiguity the classification of the act of abortion as homicide. And in following it, I don’t think there’s any doubt that after birth, it would be homicide to murder a baby.

You seem to have little aversion to stances such as Antinatalism, from what you’ve said - but Antinatalism in hindsight is obviously problematic: you can’t assume the hindsight in foresight. Hence the problem of induction and identity error.

The object of topics like these may be to identify exactly why it can’t be solved, and I think those issues are at the centre of this. Solving is sometimes solving unresolvability.
Assuming it can’t be solved, this is in direct conflict with the apparent political desire to make a law either way - which of course is the whole problem.
Maybe Dave Chappelle’s joke can be translated into an argument that dispels this political desire.

My argument is simple:

If anti abortionists want to treat them like adults, than do it! Let’s not fuck around!

I’m an adult. I love my mother. If she literally could and wanted to go back in time to abort me, I’d let her.

I hate these narcissistic fucks who don’t give a shit about anyone but just want to be here.

And those fucks should hate themselves.

I get angry about this, because, I don’t think anyone who doesn’t consent to their abortion doesn’t deserve to be here.

Now think about this for a moment. Who do we really want here in this species?

“I hate these narcissistic fucks who don’t give a shit about anyone but just want to be here.”

The truth is I shoulda ended up as a brown stain on the mattress, E, but I didn’t. I’m here… and godammit I gotta finish it.

I’m a “pill baby”, (mother was on the pill) - I shouldn’t have even been born. My father even wanted my abortion… my mother decided to have me anyways. The odds of me being born are minuscule – but here I am, pissing a lot of people off by saying true things.

Well, it does.sound as a.project, but really who cares or a.stays around OR leaves, if it wasn’t for morality everyone would wish they had.never been borne, some are sticker son’s and love.the pressure cooker of imagined and well thought out imaginary outcome, but some fetus souls couldn’t care less, especially upstaged neophytes.

Indirection calls further direction.
That’s what used to call an imaginary optimist.

Pleasure in that ? Like making love.and dealing with inconvenient consequences.

The mother even, would hate that. regardless.

Please spare the child! (In all of us)
But don’t ruin the rod.

Btw: I’m not an anti natalist

I don’t think the brain has pain receptors. Lobotomies were relatively painless and that was around the eye. Brain tumors can cause pain if they cause high intracranial pressure affecting parts of the head with pain receptors, but they can even do incredible damage without pain, especially the tumors that are more like webs than balls.

Interesting. I think there’s an intermediate position, because why would a soul choose a womb that doesn’t want a child. But once that child is here, she has options. But I’m with Ecmandu as far as 'who are these entities that wanta come in via people who will not appreciate it?

Its not a question of philosophy, so no consensus, no deadlock.

Well this goes for any body part. We don’t feel pain until a damage threshold is crossed.

The “up to a point” part is not part of my fetus-proposition, so I think your objection here is disqualified?

Yes, because the fetus cant speak for itself it will always remain a speculative issue.

Im the opposite value-wise. However I respect your straightforward thinking.

:-k

At least here’s an original perspective.
Let me think about that.