Realism vs. Idealism

Man can only interpret reality, which is independent from his interpretation.
Like an artist can paint a tree, as accurately as he can.
The interpretation is the noumenon, that abstraction in his mind.

Idealists confuse their own interpretations, for the real. They take them literally.
Like an artist who convinces himself that his painting of a tree is the tree.
His noumena usurp the phenomenon which is then decaled to be illusory, and his interpretation as the only real tree - therefore all is interpretation, and there is no real tree.

The realist believes there is a tree, independent from his awareness and interpretation of it, and is motivated to understand it as best he can - to be an objective as possible.
The idealist is concept with his own interpretation, and may claim it is better than any other, but that all is, in the end, interpretation because there is no real world, and therefore no real tree.
For the realist meaning is how the real phenomena inter-relate and inter-acts, and that this is independent from his own awareness of this.
The idealist may believe that he is the creator of meaning, because he can choose what and how and to what degree inter-relates and inter-acts. His noumena, usurp and produce the phenomena.
depending on how idealistic, ro nihilistic, he is.

Γιατί? Ποια είσαι?
Όχι στον πληθυντικό.

He, as I, are not Christians, but consider the holidays an opportunity to change our routines and to reaffirm family and friends.
I give him gifts when I find something I think he may want or like, not because I must. This year he got something practical. I usually give him money, because he never wants gifts.
He’s amassed quite an amount over the years.

Yes. There two levels of interpretation in the process.
first, when the stimuli reaches the sense organ and is interpreted into a form the body can process - a neural pulse. then, in the brain, when neural pulses are gathered and integrated into abstractions, sensations, emotions…

The return back to action follows a similar path.
Emotion, sensation, abstractions is converted to neural pulse and sent to the limbs, muscles, where they are converted to actions.

If you know my metaphysical positions - which you probably do - then you already know that my understanding of reality is as energy [εν-εργο] inter-activity - some patterned (ordered) some random (chaotic).
Man interprets this, to construct, ni his mind, his representation of reality.

An idealist believes that reality does not exist other than his own interpretations - subjectivity. No objective reality.
He, therefore, competes over which one offers the most benefits, not which one is closes to the objective. He makes philosophy into politics and marketing, selling their own version as more promising, positive - using the same techniques used in politics and marketing.

Ντάνιελ. Παλαιότερα, τα Spaces. :sunglasses:

Θα φύγω από εδώ, αύριο.
Ξέρεις που θα με βρεις?

Just as a degenerate seeks the source of his pain and suffering, of his errors, in other, so too does he seek the source of a paradox, of a dissonance, of a irony, in the other.
That it may be a product of his own understanding, alludes him.
He always projects the possibility upon other, when the consequence is negative; and only begins with self when it is positive.

So, when the other says something that contradicts his own understanding of him, he does not question his understanding, but finds the other guilty of a contradiction.

Ugiriki ni wakati, ndio mahali, ndio mwendo. Sasa Ugiriki ndio njia tunayohisi.

So forum members engaged in battle should never play that card, and I’ll tell ya why. The other guy is saying the same thing about you, see, and you should want to attack in a way that gives him no chance of that reposte.

Yes. I just listen carefully for the sound of whispers amid columns of marble. :neutral_face:

Kwa wale ambao wamezikwa kwa nguvu ya zamani, labda. Kwa wengine, jinsi sisi - watu wa ulimwengu - tunavyohisi. Haijalishi wanahistoria sawa wenye kukata tamaa wanaweza kututaka tufikirie.

Swahili, Prom? When I think back on my brief time on ILP, I will remember you. :smiley:

Yes, I speak approximately 67 languages fluently…

… with a translator.

The original post fails to mention that idealism is about not knowing other minds. It starts there. And is enough, really.

Also, idealism is about ideas, having them in general, not ideals or how things should be. There is a difference.

When you hear someone say “that person is idealistic” that is not the same thing believing in idealism. Believing is then not the same as behavior based on such a belief.

Lastly, trying to prove points about idealism to another mind is more about loneliness that philosophy. :-"

I don’t believe in Idealism, but I do have a preference for it.

Evidence that Abrahamism has not died, nor has its monistic monotheism perished:
There are still minds, out there, who believe in benevolent, well-meaning, entities who are persecuted and their gifts and offerings wrongly rejected; entities that are crucified, though they mean well and offer salvation from worldly tyranny.
Naivete and stupidity never vanishes.
There will always be masses of degenerates, desperate for the reincarnation of the old myths.
They have never left us. They were baptized and renamed. Updated.

Realism can never compete with Idealism.
Not among the majority, who need a plausible lie to surrender to.

aren’t you glad I am here to appreciate your brilliant humor?
it’s a pun, it’s a pop reference, its… in swahili.
they think our love is just a growing pain, why don’t they understand, man.

Thank the gods for google.
Even a dolt can appear to be a genius, with a few clicks and clacks.

takes much less work to understand a joke than to create it

See, that was over my head.
Wait, I’ll look it up.

green is not your color

It’s …pink.