Did Not Know Where to Put This

Carleas,

Did what you suggested. Still not there yet. Seemed to be at first and then my little bubble burst.

Who in their right mind would do that?!

Meno, sorry. I did not notice this at first.
Most issues eventually appear to phase out I suppose but with someone/something working behind the scenes.

As for your last two lines, I have no idea about that. I wonder though. I would be quite curious to see where that would/will take its members. Knock Knock? Neil Gaiman opens door.

Hmmm… I guess that’s data. A few follow-ups:

Did you need to log back in after you deleted your cookies?
How many cookies does it say are in use on ILP? (mine says “5 in use”)
Do you have any ad or tracker blockers enabled (Ghostery, uBlock, etc.?), or are you using private/incognito mode?
Can you say more about what it means that it seemed to work?

No one, I would hope. I just wanted to clarify that that’s the kind of insecurity they’re talking about; “not secure” to me sounds a lot more threatening than it is in the context of a message board. It’s probably a good default, but it’s a bit of an overreaction here.

Carleas,

Yes.

11 removed them - they jumped right back in.
Insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Yesterday, hung on for a wee wee bit then back to a SNAFU. :laughing:

As of today, no change. Being logged out. Let us see what happens now.

Took 3 tries to get the above in.

Have a good day, Carleas.

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot, Arcturus.

The cookies should be there, and 11 is right (turns out my ad blockers were blocking 6 of them, which tells me you don’t have an ad blocker :), but I wanted to make sure they were there initially to see if your browser was storing them at all. And they should repopulate after you removed them and logged back in, so that’s expected behavior as well.

I’ve made a couple changes to how sessions are validated that I hope will fix it, let me know if you still have the issue.

Test post.

Yeah this is becoming retarded. Like some 1996 internet phone modem connection shit with the MSN C.D. you get in the mail.

Okay. Check. So something is happening when I try to put an attachment in my post.

Discuss.

Keep getting logged out… deleted cookies, and using an iPad Autumn 2019.

Something is.PNG
Can you be more specific?

I know this seems pedantic, but can you be more specific? I flushed the site sessions, which should force everyone to log in (possibly more than once), but that shouldn’t be an ongoing problem.

I just got logged out, again, when quoting this post to reply to… or is that because you recently reset something, just now?

The being logged off thing is perplexing.

…and just happened again.

…and again.

OK, cool. Still tweaking settings on the backend, any better now?

This is a test, not logged out yet.

I think I figured out what was happening. I set up Cloudflare, which is a service that can filter out spam and denial-of-service attacks. To do that, it passes all traffic through its servers, so when it hits ILP’s servers it’s all coming from the same place. But the forum software was checking where requests were coming from as part of its validation of users. Since now all traffic is coming from the same place, that validation was giving funny results that caused some users to be logged out. I disabled that check, so it should work correctly now [-o<

I’m not sure why it only affected some users (or, in my case, why it affected my access to some parts of the site and not others), but it does seem to be a known issue with using Cloudflare and one I should have been aware of before setting up the service. My apologies to everyone affected.

Thanks for digging into this. Haven’t been logged out yet. =D>

Yes, Carleas. So far so good though I do not foresee any more problems…at least not for now.

Thank you for taking the bull by the horns and hurling him back into space where he belongs.

Well done!

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
Virgil

:angelic-flying:

Thanks Arc, though to be honest I never do more than humbly pray that the bull spare us our suffering, for we are truly at his mercy and unworthy of his love.