Ask Me Anything.

I’m bored where I need some stimulating conversation in this national quarantine, so I’m making this thread if you want to have a conversation, ask me questions, ask me for advice, have a philosophical debate, discuss politics, or if you just want to hurl insults all over the place.

Who will be the first to participate in this thread of mine? :sunglasses:

I’m stuck at home with nowhere to go.

What’s your favoirite solution to the Fermi paradox…?

It’s a big universe and cosmos, so I think extraterrestrial life outside of earth is very possible but at the same time I would quote the late Stephen Hawking where before he died warned us about maybe not being in too much of a hurry to find some out there because there is no guarantee that they wouldn’t be hostile towards us. It’s something interesting to contemplate and I like Star Trek concerning fiction just as any nerd does.

There’s another more cynical and pessimistic view out there, I can’t remember the exact name of it, where it discussed that the reason we haven’t found any other intelligent beings out there is because with the development of advanced civilizations they have a large tendency to destroy themselves the more complex they become in nature. While cynical and pessimistic that all is it nonetheless is interesting to contemplate as well.

Just maybe we haven’t found any advanced extraterrestrial life out there because concerning all of their civilizations they have already destroyed themselves, just as maybe we’re in the process of destroying ourselves here now.

They are practicing social distancing on a cosmic scale.

When will the Dow finally hit 30,000?

My favourite one is a game theory solution called the “dark forest”.

It states that logically, the universe is finite, with finite resources, and therefore any two unrelated species are ultimately competitors. The only difference is technological level. Therefore it makes sense for the most highly sophisticated species to automatically wipe out any civilization they detect in the universe, before it can become a threat.

ie. Yes, there are many sentient, highly technological species in the universe. However, most of them are busy hiding themselves from everybody else, including us. The ones that don’t hide quickly get their suns detonated. :smiley:

Next classic question.

If you could magically summon 3 historical figures to have dinner and a beer with, who would they be and why…?

Yes, but first they need to put up a shield barrier around the planet to make sure human beings can’t escape from it. Being that human beings are generally untrustworthy where we can’t even trust ourselves or each other for that matter.

That’s a trick question Biggie, right? :slight_smile: :laughing: :sunglasses:

Once again, people ignore the warnings of Stephen Hawking at their own peril. There’s nothing stating extraterrestrial life would have the same kind of morality or ethics as we have.

[And human morality or ethics is imperfect and very lousy anyways.]

1. Adolf Hitler: Should be pretty obvious.
  2. Plato: My favorite ancient Greek philosopher.
  3. John Locke: Because I would kill him shortly after dinner as a part of his last meal. With him removed from the timeline monarchies would become restored in western civilization. Classical liberalism would of never had existed and its poisonous offspring of crony capitalism, libertarianism, neo-liberalism, or Marxism wouldn’t exist either.

Early historical feminism would of been murdered in its infancy.

For me those are all good things.

As for John Locke, Me, Plato, and Hitler we would take him behind a woodshed dumping his body into a wood chipper. We would all three of us toast and drink champagne together afterwards in massive celebration.

If you had to have one, which would you choose?

A double chin
A receding hair line
A fat back

Can it be possible that the natural simplicity of seemingly involved species were hiding something-a great deal of ‘naturally evolved intelligence’ and they are trumping our phenomenally impressive techno-intelligence?

Could a behaviorally evolved micro-organism disdain our microscopic intrusion?

Why the 'Black Death then?

Same old, to put man on notice?

Could the animal to human jump indicate a phenomenal misnomer, as to the recurrence of the temptation to jump ahead of progressive evolution?

The idea of the quantitative analysis being a diminutive aspect if progression toward higher principles of qualifying types: re-affirms the advantage that those may possess in ling term survival.

Receding hairline, as long as it’s the widow’s peak variety. For that elderly vampire look.

Hmm.

I’d have Helen of Troy, Joan of Arc and Oliver Reed.

First I’d get horribly drunk with Oliver. Then place bets with Helen on who will win the inevitable fight between Oliver and Joan. Joan, obviously. Leave Oliver to sleep it off. Snort a whole bunch of cocaine to recover, put on Barry White and let the magic happen. :smiley:

And that magic transformed Joan into Brunhilda, and the judgement would have induced the shepherd king to change into the lion, whereby guarantying Brunhilda’s assurance not to be awakened until the white knight had succeeded to overcome his self doubt. Then and only then would the treacherous apple be turned into the love between 3 oranges.

I would go with a double chin because you can easily grow a beard and hide it from view.

I’m currently growing out a beard now since this quarantine begun.