White privilege

No, but it has been answered and you never countered it. In other words you as a rhetorical question which is a statement. But it has been responded to before, and you never bothered to refute or try to that answer. But you continue to assert it anyway. IOW you act as if what you said has been determined to be true. You appealed to incredulity. That appeal to incredulity has been answered before. And you never even try to refute it. So I said ‘that has been answered’. This is a common pattern of yours. Just like when you accuse people of not giving concrete examples, when they have. There are many other examples of this behavior.

In this specific case you act like what you quoted had to do with racism and priviledge…

That issue, the one you quoted above, that I responded to with ‘it has been answered’ has nothing to do with race and priviledge.

This kind of not responding is part of why you find people attacking you. You waste people’s time.

You actually quoted it. You actually quoted your own writing and my response, and then you go off on a tangent as if what you are writing about is relevent.

I responded to a specific assertion you made in the form of a rhetorical question.

Then you continue not responding with…

But that is precisely what you did and which I pointed out. You were saying it would make no sense for someone to take on the beliefs you have about the meaninglessness of life, etc. since they are unpleasant and lead to fractureness and fragmentedness. And I responded there and in earlier posts that people do take on unpleasant beliefs with regularity despite them being unpleasant, often to avoid something. You made an assertion in a rhetorical question that people (why would someone etc…) take on an unpleasant belief. That is you assuming in a rhetorical question that no one would.

You did it. Ask yourself why, not me. It may very well not fit with your philosophy. But you did it. People contradict themselves. You can’t deny saying something by saying ‘but I believe X’

You’re a waste of a interlocuter. Done. You’re no better than Ecmandu.

A couple of solipsists. Him functionally, you it seems literally.

You’ve started early on oblivion

I’ve been down that rabbit hole with you a few times before, it’s a dead end.

You don’t even know what God is.

Note the best [or the latest] example of this. I need to note if there is a gap between me not countering it and me not accepting it. And how on earth could I possibly counter someone else’s argument that they would choose to be like me when by and large they insist that they are not like me at all.

I must be misunderstanding you. Or you me.

I’m sticking with this:

As for your reaction to it…

…I am at a complete loss as to what it has to do at all with the question I posed. The objectivists on both sides have their political prejudices – “objective truths” – to fall back on.

You have whatever it is that keeps you from feeling less fractured and frgamented than “I” am. But, me, I’m still drawn and quartered when approaching value judgments of this sort as a philosopher/ethicist.

Re the objectivists, there are the sets of facts that both sides [all sides] accumulate. There are the conclusions they draw from those sets of fact and there is the comfort and the consolation they derive from knowing that in regard to race and privilege [and to every other known conflicting good] they are in sync with the real me in sync with the right thing to do.

As for your own “I” here…I am still at a loss as to how to pin that down. I am unable to think myself into understanding how someone [anyone] who does not believe in either God or objective morality can not be fractured and fragmented in the is/ought world.

Instead, I can only struggle further to understand how you yank your own self up from out of this:

If I am always of the opinion that 1] my own values are rooted in dasein and 2] that there are no objective values “I” can reach, then every time I make one particular moral/political leap, I am admitting that I might have gone in the other direction…or that I might just as well have gone in the other direction. Then “I” begins to fracture and fragment to the point there is nothing able to actually keep it all together. At least not with respect to choosing sides morally and politically.

And that’s before we get to the even tougher conflicting goods like abortion and gun control and animal rights and human sexuality.

Come on, to the best of my knowledge, none of us know for certain how to connect the dots between white skin privilege, the meaning of life and a full and complete understanding of existence itself. And, to the best of my knowledge, we can’t even pin down for certain whether this exchange itself is or is not only as it ever could have been.

But here we are anyway.

Hey, what else is there? And my question is still whether others would choose to think like I do if they could continue to think like they do instead. In fact, I have always suspected that other’s reaction to me here [including yours] revolves more around the discomfit – dread? – of imagining that they did think like I do!

Instead, time and again, I manage only to reduce you down to flustered retorts like this:

Gotcha again, didn’t I?

Anyway, I’m undecided: =D> :wink: :sunglasses: :laughing: =D> :-"

Alas, back again to stooge mode. :wink:

Alas, back again to stooge mode. :laughing:

White privilege is mostly education; “people such as myself” have been educated in the Classical subject for dozens of generations. This makes life infinitely richer, better, lovelier.
Even if you havent personally been as fortunate to be educated classically, some of your ancestors have, and many of the people that built the culture you’re thriving in.
So this is what the people who want to balance the scales should be doing. Enforcing large scale Greek and Latin courses on what we may call inner city youths.

You cant know what is good in life if you havent been granted some kind of link with the ancient Mind.

wrong thread

Fixed Cross wrote: “White privilege is mostly education;”

Education! Education! Education! --Margaret Thatcher, circa 1980s

Are you ever in the right thread?

:wink: no worries man.

Without it, people are very weak and helpless, and aren’t really able to value themselves.

That is a really good joke! You need years of context to get the joke!

It’s only ‘in his head as dasein in a no god world’ that it was the wrong thread.

After all he is our resident solipsist.

Besides, I’m an Aries. And you know what the stars tell us about that! :wink:

Let’s try this…

What in your estimation does it mean to be a solipsist in regard to white privilege? And how, given the points I have raised about it on this thread, does that make me the resident solipsist here?

No, seriously.

And, sure, by all means, consult the stars.

On the other hand, you still do have that, uh, “condition”, don’t you? After all, how do you explain this: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=195803&p=2768044#p2768044

Just joshing, my friend. You keep me young!

There is no “white” privilege.

And education is a choice that is made, thus, defeating it being a privilege since everyone has the ability to make a choice for such.

Most people in the world unfortunately don’t get to choose their education. And even in cases that they do, they cant know what is out there to know before they’ve learned it.

You have to be fortunate with your parents, or run into the right people early on, like finding a mentor who knows the good stuff preferably before you hit puberty.
There is something about the Greeks that makes not knowing them with some intimacy a spiritual disadvantage. And most people who get educated in the Greeks are what is called “white”. I.e. have light skin, are from caucasian branches.

Even though the Greeks were caucasian, I do not think their wisdom and art pertains specifically to people of this same “race”. I think what they produced is more or less universally human. Much like all humans come from “black” Africans, so all humans can learn from “white” Greeks. In fact I think all people are entitled to learn of the Greeks. Because, reasoning from the Earth, a universal knowledge of them would benefit this planet optimally.

Education doesn’t happen, externally. It’s an internal choice. I stand by that because I am living proof.