I don't get Buddhism

I only become a stooge myself when others insist on making me the issue. They become a stooge so, sure, I’ll go down in the mud with them. For whatever reason, I am basically a “natural born polemicist”.

Still, over and again, I let it be known that if others want an exchange that is both respectful and civil, I’m more than willing to go there as well.

I simply want the focus to be on morality here and now and immortality there and then. How the two are intertwined in regard to God and religion. Given particular contexts.

In every single thread, on every single discussion that is being had in those threads?

How much more can you get out of a conversation, using that exact same criteria to debate by… every single time?

It’s not going to be a thrilling or mind-expanding one. You ask a very big ask, imo.

Huh?!

There are hundreds and hundreds of threads I don’t participate in at all. And there are my quotes and my music threads. And my threads relating specifically to determinism and language and morality and identity.

If my posts don’t thrill you or expand your mind, don’t read them.

You clearly don’t grasp the points I am trying to convey here. And that’s fine. Move on to others. After all, no one at ILP is required to read or to respond to my posts. Nor me to theirs.

And, by all means, let’s keep it that way.

A person posts something that he/she thinks is important.

And it gets dismissed as a “general description”, “intellectual contraption”, “spiritual contraption”, etc.

Then he/she is told what he/she is really supposed to be doing … “bringing it down to earth”, discussing a context, demonstrating things for everyone and talking about morality, salvation and an afterlife.

Who wants to be treated like that?

Is that any way to have a discussion?

Over and again, I get this sort of thing from you. And over and again, I note my own objection to your objections. Nothing ever sinks in.

So why on earth would anyone who has this opinion of me keep reading my posts?

Do I have to explain it to you…again? :sunglasses:

You misunderstood, as Phyllo has now clarified… I am referring to the threads that you do participate in, not each and every thread on here.

On the contrary, I do enjoy your posts, but enough of your preconceived context of parameters already. Samsara much? A discussion is being had, you reset it with your terms, it starts again, you reset it with your terms again… the cycle never ends… how mean of you Iam.

You keep inviting people to have a respectful and civilized discussion with you … KT, Felix, Zinnat …

Then as soon as those people post something, you blow it off as a “general description” or “contraption”.

And you only want talk about your interests and it has to discussed in your particular way.

It’s not hard to explain why people don’t want to talk to you any more.

And the only reason that I’m talking to you now is because when Felix posted something about “the Way” that was on topic, you jumped in dismissively. I thought that I would try to get you to see what you are doing once again.

And around and around you go.

As for my dismissal of felix, I’ll note for you what I noted for Ierrellus on his thread:

As for my dismissal of Felix, you tell me: ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop … start=1900

Others here can judge for themselves my reaction.

Ierrellus isn’t even on that page. And I’m not talking about that thread.

I was directing him to my own thread in order to note the manner in which I responded to his own accusations regarding my reactions to felix/Moe.

You’re not talking about that thread but I needed to note it in order respond to your own accusations.

It’s remarkable that so many people tell you exactly what is bothering them about having a discussion with you.

And yet, you never acknowledge their feelings or admit any wrongdoing on your part.

No, what’s remarkable is that they keep coming back to tell me this again and again. Instead of just ignoring my posts and moving on to others.

Note to Gib:
I didn’t hurt your feelings did I? :sunglasses:

This seems to be the last post about Buddhism. I’m assuming that the Buddhist quote is related to thinking a lot about Buddhism - treating it as an academic issue - as being less effective than observing the way. Presumably the less common use of ‘observe’ - 3 : to celebrate or solemnize (something, such as a ceremony or festival) in a customary or accepted way. More to participate in the proper (according to practice) way.

If Jesus is talking about the same dichotomy is hard to know.

It could mean ‘observation’ in the conventional sense. Look at how “the Way” is at work all around you.

In that case, Jesus seems to mean something similar… look with a pure heart and you will see God.

It could. Buddhism certainly focuses on observing as opposed to doing more than other religions.

Maybe. But there is no God (generally) in Buddhism.

In Tibetan tradition, death is a police officer who only lets you go if you are worthy of infinite freedom and infinite power.

Death controls the six realms of birth and rebirth (effectively, death IS god)

Otherwise known as Mara, the devil, Mazda etc…

Buddhism is the path of release. Death tests, tests and tests you again. Death is fierce. You either win or lose.

You’re not given this kind of power without earning it meritously and with zero doubt that you won’t EVER abuse it.

And we will never “know” in the rational intellectual sense. These two scriptures point to another way of knowing–that of the heart.

This is totally consistent with my view.

The biggest question about Buddhism is “what is nirvana?”

Nirvana is a carrot that nobody knows until they get there. And even if they get there, they might think that’s not nirvana!!!

It reminds me of the carrot of the Mormons …

LDS - Church of Latter Day Saints

How do you know if the latter days ever come?

Nobody has a way of knowing this. It’s a perpetual Ponzi scheme !

I see nirvana the same way.

I know what being awake in the cosmos is…

It’s knowing that in zero sum realities, when you win you lose, and when you lose, you definitely lose.

Did I have a transfiguration where I became a being of pure light (sun worship)? No!! None of that shit happened to me. Do I know everything? Fuck no!

You have to put all this in the context of ancient philosophy and ideals.

I don’t know what your view is.

‘in some measure’ and ‘may be considered’ leave a great deal of swingroom.

One of the quotes was from Jesus.
Soyen Shaku seems to have been more OT than NT and Jesus.

When I read the quote by him that you included, I see a kind of monism that I do not see in Christianity. It’s more of a pantheism possibly panentheism.
https://www.google.com/search?q=panentheism+vs+pantheism&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk02H1hX7hSddM5PwnzIExEuwzInVcw:1603920727698&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=-CJEKgSN9P1NeM%252C_Q3UzShXdJR0AM%252C%252Fm%252F05wg1&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRT9kxmsGtr5ZR5Cmlbn9Iz5kkLJQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiBn-OpntjsAhVCi8MKHdtvAIMQ_B16BAglEAM#imgrc=Ci2QHjXjViv4-M
That Buddhism and Gnostic Christianity have some affinity, that I can see. But otherwise God is way too personified and active in C. Plus the practices are very different and the attitude between a Zen Master and his students is also quite different from that of Jesus to his disciples. Let alone Samuri culture which Soyen seems to have approved of.

EVen something like this…

is more like Kantian analysis then the kinds of assertions and posited entities asserted in either the OT or the NT. Deduced abstract principles vs. directly posited deity.

My point is not that they can’t possibly mean the same thing as each other, but I see little reason to believe it. Different practices that engage different parts of the brain, personification vs. non-personification, quite different relations between masters and disciples (especially in Zen), different descriptions, different metaphors and in my experience master practitioner groups with rather different priorities around emotions, interpersonal relations, the role or morality, conceptions of the afterlife (if any) and more.