Determinism

There’s No Such Thing as Free Will
But we’re better off believing in it anyway.
Stephen Cave in The Atlantic

Bolder is one thing, pinning down that there is absolutely no doubt that you are reading this only because you were never really free to choose not to read it, another matter all together.

In fact, how do we untangle ourselves from the conundrum itself? You’re a neuroscientist or someone able to do research on the brains of dead people. You’re poking around and performing all of these experiments. But what constitutes the part – that eureka! moment – when it finally becomes clear that it is only because you freely chose to do what you could have freely chosen not to do.

It’s like the human consciousness equivalent of figuring out why the universe is something and why it is this something. Or whether existence has always been around or actually started given a particular set of conditions.

Then, for some, cue God. Or some manifestation of the universe which they believe is “out there” able at least to provide an explanation. Meanwhile God or No God we continue to be stuck in antinomies…going around and around in circles trying to sort out – scientifically, philosophically, spiritually – what exactly it means to be dependent on our “biological inheritance”.

Wholly dependent? Compatibly dependent? Or “free at last!”?

The either/or world rendition of “conflicting goods”. Both sides can make reasonable arguments that the other side can deflect but never entirely make go away.

Then you must not be free to say that.

Look, Kid, iambiguous didn’t say that. Stephen Cave did when he created a title for his article.

And, unlike you and James S. Saint, who actually take pride in having freely chosen to post the didactic [pedantic] objectivist dogmas that you and he pedaled/pedal here, I flat out admit that I have no capacity to demonstrate my own autonomy.

Now, how about a youtube video? :laughing:

The quote has your name on it.

And yet you do nothing else.

Look, Kid, there’s no way in hell that I’d expect someone of your ilk to grasp the points that someone of my ilk is making here.

Just suffice it to say that if you’re lucky you really don’t have any choice but to post what you do. And, if I’m lucky, I am compelled by the laws of nature to read your crap. :wink:

Iambiguous,

It’s quite simple. If freedom doesn’t exist in any way shape or form; it’s logically impossible to hypothetically suppose it.

This means that freedom necessarily exists in some way, shape or form. That form may not be appreciated right now (Not what we want it to be) by us in the way we want it to be, but it does exist.

You cannot refute that.

Uh-oh?

Right, like this settles it. Consider: if, out of the blue, I type, “the green hornet on Maple street stole the only copy of the document definitively establishing the Christian God as in fact the Devil”, was that only as a result of whatever set into motion the laws of matter going back to…where and when exactly?

Then it ever and always comes down to how far this can be taken. Up to and including everything we think, feel, say and do? After all, look at all of those who are afflicted with brain tumors that don’t become murderers and pedophiles. And what becomes particularly unnerving for most is the idea that they are themselves murderers and pedophiles…but it’s all beyond their control. Unless of course you think it is all in your control and you murder someone or rape a child and someone comes along and tells you that you aren’t really responsible because there is no way you could have not murdered someone or raped a child.

Clearly, this gets all tangled up in what we think we know and what we’d like to to believe is so given a particular set of circumstances.

Again, this rendition of it!

We hold that, “the universe is deterministic and free will is a non-starter”, and then ask if we should be a bit more mindful of luck, as though anything that we are mindful of here is not also embedded inherently, necessarily in a wholly determined universe!!

Look, I’ll admit I’m just not thinking this through correctly, but if “I” is derived from a mind that is derived from a brain that is no less matter wholly in sync with the immutable laws of matter, being mindful about anything is only what we were ever able to be mindful of.

Right?

Of course the difficulty here revolves around conducting an experiment embedded in a demonstration in which all of these steps are explained in the manner in which, say, we explain the functions of a human heart:

[b]"* Pumping oxygenated blood to the other body parts.

• Pumping hormones and other vital substances to different parts of the body.
  • Receiving deoxygenated blood and carrying metabolic waste products from the body and pumping it to the lungs for oxygenation.
  • Maintaining blood pressure. the human heart functions"[/b]

How do we do the same with the human brain such that in the end we are able to demonstrate that the demonstration itself is or is not only as it every could have been. With the heart it’s like explaining the functions of an automobile engine. With the brain it’s like explaining the capacity of the brain to explain itself.

Or, rather, to the extent that [compelled or otherwise] my own explanation here is actually reasonable. And what can then be the comfort embedded in the conclusion that if it is not I cannot really be held responsible for getting it wrong. Not if I was never able not to get it wrong.

This is clearly as good a description as any of where we are stuck. And, of course, we would seem to have no definitive capacity to disentangle ourselves from the conflicting sets of assumptions in order to know in, say, a comprehensive epistemological sense which assessment is the right one.

I merely muddy the waters all the more by introducing my own set of assumptions: that even given some measure of autonomy “I” in the is/ought world is embedded in and derived from all manner of variables that are are beyond our understanding and control. “I” is largely an existential contraption rooted subjectively in dasein. And that in turn it seems reasonable to construe “I” here as “fractured and fragmented” such that any particular individual’s value judgments are, at least in some sense, “illusory” even given free will.

Even if the brain builds up a charge before it makes an internal action,
doesn’t mean we have no free will.
That is a crappy argument / idea.
The subconscious and the conscious are always doing their thing.
I’m not saying we’re absolutely “free”.
I’m saying we make choices. No matter what someone else says.

I think the point above is that those who have considerably more expertise regarding the functioning brain are considerably more skeptical of that. Let’s hear your own less crappy argument/idea. And the evidence that you have collected in conducting your own experiments to back it up.

I certainly agree there is no evidence available that I am aware of that settles it once and for all.

And the fact that we do make choices seems clear enough. That’s what peacegirl kept coming back to. The “choice”/choice antinomy.

Also, in my own dreams, I clearly do seem to make choices too. In them there is no doubt of my autonomy.

As for making the assumption that we are not absolutely free if we are in fact free I noted this:

The part whereby I always challenge the objectivists here to go in order to explore their own sense of identity in regard to their spiritual, moral, political and esthetic values.

From the Free Will thread at KT:

Free will does exist. It is defined and deduced into existence by the assumptions of people like this. No actual experimental or experiential evidence provided…they just know that it does.

Now of course all we need to do is to pin down which human behaviors are more in sync with those millions of years of natural selection on the biological level. In regard to race and gender and sexual preferences. In regard to the masters and the slaves.

Not sure? Ask them.

Then arcane intellectual contraptions like this:

But: does he take this down out of the clouds and note how “for all practical purposes” it is applicable to the life that he lives, to the behaviors that he chooses in making that distinction between genes and memes in regard to conflicting goods in a particular set of circumstances?

Well, if he ever has, please link me to it.

Here, in my view, we get closer to the part that is of most importance to the Ubermen. It is one thing to become a master and not a slave when there was never any possibility of this not being your fate in a wholly determined universe. Even to the extent that you feel pride, you were never able not to.

No, for the Ubermen here at KT, it is of vital importance to assume that they are the masters because despite thousands of years in which societal memes have succeeded in feminizing most men, they chose to remain what all white Anglo-Saxon heterosexual men really are…naturally.

Here is as close as satyr will come to bringing free will “down to earth”:

Again the initial assumption being that women are in fact able to choose of their own free will to dress and to have sex in a particular way.

He offers no definitive scientific, empirical, material evidence in which to adduce this. He simply thinks it is so and that makes it so.

And it must be so for him, otherwise he is not free to judge these behaviors as either more or less in sync with nature’s way in regard to gender.

The fact that throughout the course of human history and given countless unique and different cultural contexts and individual experiences, individual women have thought about the clothes they wear and the sex they pursue in vastly different ways, is moot. There is but one natural behavior [as he assesses it] and women are either wholly in sync with it or are not.

As though this objectivist mentality doesn’t tell us far more about him and his clique/claque than the women themselves.

satyr responding to Dan [our Dan] at KT:

Instead, his point is actually aimed more in the other direction. In other words, that he embraces what he believes in his head to be true about free will because this allows him to pat himself on the back for having made all of the rational judgments and choices that, wholly in sync with nature, enable him to freely feel contempt for all of those who refuse to think about it exactly as he does.

As for this…

…how is it not just another abstruse intellectual contraption that tells us nothing about the world of actual human interactions.

Here again however those on both sides of the debate will use this [however true it actually is] to bolster their own claims. The advocates of free will scoff that this is just further proof of how so many refuse to shoulder the responsibility for their own behaviors. Beyond blaming society for all the shit that comes their way, they can even blame their own brains. Either way, they certainly do not deserve to be punished for the things they do. Then it’s just a matter of how much wiggle room they are willing to allow for some autonomy. Like for example regarding all of the good things that they do.

Then there are those who really do believe science and “popular opinion” confirms that it’s all “beyond my control”. Some are even willing to go so far as to include the good that things they do too. The important thing though is that the punishment not be too severe. At least for those here who are in turn willing to accept that in meting out punishment not everything is compelled by nature.

On the other hand, there are still plenty of folks around hell bent on assuming that Donald Trump, Joe Biden and their followers are fully and wholly responsible for flushing American down the toilet.

Whether the belief in determinism spreads or not the actual gap between what is believed and what is able to be established as autonomous belief still remains the crucial unknown. It’s like the belief in God and the actual existence of God. Or the belief in the matrix and the actual existence of the matrix. Or the belief in a conspiracy and the actual conspiracy itself. Only with determinism the gap can’t possibly be more fundamental. It’s not about what is believed but the nature of belief itself.

First of all, let’s step back.

Here’s a man writing an article on free will in The Atlantic Magazine. A magazine that I subscribe to. He seems to be convinced that we really don’t have free will. The science, he notes, seems rather certain about it. So somehow billions of years ago a Big Bang resulted in stars exploding…producing all of the heavier elements that somehow configured into living matter that somehow configured into self-conscious thinking matter that created the internet that allows us to communicate about determinism here and now. And all of this is entirely embedded in “immutable laws of matter” such that none of it could never have not happened.

Don’t even pretend to think you know if this is true. Well, unless, of course, one way or the other you can demonstrate that it either is or is not.

Does this?

See the problem? If in fact human autonomy is entirely an illusion wholly subsumed in the only possible reality there can ever be given the immutable laws of matter, it makes no difference what any of them [any of us] think, feel, say or do…they [we] were never able not to think, feel, say and do them.

Same thing:

Or, again, is this all me? Is a point being made here that I keep missing? And how on earth do I go about determining if I am missing it because I am free not to miss it or if I was never able to not miss it until one day I am in fact free not to miss it, get it, and my whole frame of mind here changes.

Hijacking a thread from 09.

You afta appreciate the tenacity.

Yakking about a thread from 09.

You have to appreciate the stupidity.

Again, how surreal this can all become! We don’t have any way to determine if in fact, beyond all possible doubt, we do have free will. But if tomorrow a team of scientists published a paper that caught the attention of the media around the globe…a paper that did claim to establish beyond all doubt that we do not have free will, how might different people react to it? What would change? What could change?

There doesn’t appear to be any definitive way in which to demonstrate such a proof. So one of us might conclude that she is not morally responsible and do what she assumes she could never have not done anyway. But she might do it to someone still convinced that we are morally responsible. And here we are grappling to come to a conclusion about what exactly it all amounts to. For example, for all practical purposes.

Which just takes us back to whether or not Vohs and his colleagues were or were not compelled by nature to measure whether these day laborers were or were not compelled by nature to believe they either did or did not have free will. Based on whether their supervisors were or were not compelled by nature to rate them as they did. Then you just keep going farther and farther back in time until you come to an ontological understanding of existence itself. Or God.

Though sure if we really do have free will but you or others are able to convince you that we don’t, to what extent can we be held responsible for doing things that we honestly and sincerely believe that we had no choice regarding.

Our will is free to the extent of our understandings of knowledge. It only grows in its freedom unless one makes the -choice- not to. Which a lot of people do not choose knowledge and so they remain trapped in cycles of victimizing themselves to context.

Determinism determined itself free through the usage of a staircase that is consciousness and wisdom. It may never be absolute freedom, unless wisdom and consciousness ceases in its infinite expanding. An infinity cannot be both infinite and absolute. But freedom does not have to be one or the other, it may be both or neither. Reality is not black nor white, it is a variety of grey shades and colors.