I don't get Buddhism

In the first instance, Buddhism was established by Siddhartha Gautama, someone who had very little experience of life. He was a rich, pampered young man who, when he ran away from home, almost immediately attached himself to ascetics. After only a few years, sitting under a banyan tree one day, he experienced some sort of epiphany or “enlightenment”. I can’t remember all the details but one outcome was a decision to not live life at the extremes of either wealth or denial (asceticism) but to chose the middle way. (Again, I have forgotten much of Buddhist nomenclature.) When under the banyan tree meditating, he saw visions. This is hardly surprising. Living as an ascetic, his mind and body had been put through extremes of stress, he was near to death. Under such circumstances anyone is liable to experience psychosis i.e. “visions” (many Christian saints did too). Gautama’s story should, of itself, make one suspicious of his claims. For example, he had never lived moderately, had never experienced moderation, so how then, at the age of around 32, had he managed to acquire the wisdom that his insight to live moderately would require?

More fundamentally, however, all religions are based on belief, not Truth. None of the religions know what a human being is, nor what a mind is. Neither, for that matter, does philosophy or science. Therefore on what basis can the Buddhist way be said to be the way we should live?

One of the main aspects of Buddhism is meditation. One meditates to quieten the mind and eventually to attain enlightenment. This is not dealing with life. This practice is running away from life. It is escapism. Instead of dealing with the horrors of life, Buddhism preaches burying one’s head in the sand. Its practices ensure death, the ultimate escape. (I used meditation as relaxation therapy. It does not teach one how to deal with life. The way to deal with life is to face up to it and change oneself. One changes oneself by letting go of one’s past and being, as it were, reborn. this is a long and arduous process, but it works.)

Buddha Travels West
Peter Abbs follows Buddhism’s path towards becoming a Western humanism.

Yes, that’s how it works. You are a Buddhist given particular historical, cultural and circumstantial contexts. Then that shifts. You have new experiences in a community that in some respects is different from the one you left. What else is there but to continue on as the Buddhist you once were or, instead, to configure your beliefs and practices in order to accommodate the new situations that you encounter.

From my own perspective, however, that is less important than the fact that as “the old Buddhist” or the “new Buddhist”, you are still confronted with connecting the dots existentially between morality here and now and immortality there and then. Thus, from my own vantage point as a moral nihilist, all religious paths – old or new, orthodox or revisionist – are interchangeable.

Here the only alternative is to become part of a religious community that makes every effort to distance itself from the larger “society”. For Buddhists, the Sangha. Ethics can more readily revolve around that which the Buddha himself prescribed. Or, rather, in interpreting that which the Buddha himself prescribed.

All I can note here again is how ludicrous this seems to me given what is at stake for “I” on the other side of the grave. Secular ethics? Spiritual growth? Okay, are there not countless moral narratives – secular and spiritual – swirling around any number of conflicting goods that bring about all those ominous headlines in the media day after day after day?

After all, clearly, one way or another, with immortality and salvation on the line, there has to be a distinction made between behaviors that do get you over to the other side as you want the other side to be and behaviors that don’t.

Buddhism just muddles it all the more by taking God and Judgment Day out of the picture.

pink lady dragon… if that is your real name…

I was with you up until this point. And my appreciation doesn’t go unmentioned. It’s a breath of fresh air to hear that the Buddha’s images might have been fasting induced–anything that brings the mystical back down to earth is appreciated. But then you said:

And I sensed some deep resentments about Buddhism–perhaps the kind that I feel, perhaps not–but lets try to be honest about Buddhism. I agree with what you say when it comes to monastic Buddhism–you know, hiding yourself away from society and being among people who all agree with you and have the same goal, and want to cooperate with each other to make the journey harmonious–but this is like a soldier boasting about his service even though he’s never seen any action–on this, I am in total agreement with you.

But these aren’t the only Buddhists. I’ve heard from many, and seen many, who practice meditation and Buddhism in general, to do things like run a business, heal their relationships with people, perfect their fighting skills in some martial art (this is how martial arts in general began–the ideas of bringing the focus, tranquility, and discipline of mind to the battle field in order to become a better soldier). So I don’t think your charge can be leveled against all Buddhists, but certainly those who hide away from hardship in order to attain what Buddhists call “enlightenment” (whatever that means).

Of course, Buddhism became Easternised when it went into China, Tibet, Japan, etc.

So the ‘authentic’ Buddhism only really existed when Buddha was teaching it.

The same is true any religion or philosophy which has a specific founder.

As soon as Jesus dies, his teachings are Judeised, Greekised, Romanised, etc.

Thank you for your positive comment. (Apologies for taking so long to reply, but my Reply Notifications were not going where anticipated in my email account and I only came across them today.)

First, my charge is against Buddhism, not Buddhists.

Buddhism does not, as I think I said, know what a mind is. (The Dalai Lama himself admits that the mind is complex.) Nor does Buddhism know what a human being is. Yet Buddhism offers advice on how to live or, perhaps more pertinently, on how to die. In effect, one escapes suffering by committing suicide many times over i.e. birth, death, rebirth, until one achieves enlightenment. At that point, one can stay on earth as a teacher (bodhisattva?) or one goes off to - where? – not an afterlife. But what if there is a soul? What happens to that? What if the soul is immortal?

Next, please imagine this potential, if rather sketchy, scenario about how life might work:

Suppose a human consists of soul, spirit, mind, thoughts and ideas and senses and emotions. Suppose that every experience a person has, good or bad, is an opportunity to learn. For example, one learns communication abilities, dexterity, reading ability, patience, stamina etc, etc. With sufficient experience, these abilities grow and develop. In other words, life experience provides the necessary nutrition which feeds the mind and allows the mind to grow and develop. Deny the mind life experience, then it becomes severely malnourished, weakens and dies. In death, the soul is “repaired” over time before the human is reborn, but in a weaker state than before. If, in each subsequent life, the mind becomes weaker and weaker, then the soul eventually slips into a profound depression from which it cannot be roused and it remains in this state for all eternity i.e. it does not die.

With specific respect to life experience. All religions advise their adherents to live according to certain rules. These rules limit life experience which, in my hypothetical account of how life works, will severely damage the mind and will lead to the soul descending into a profound depression followed by eternal “coma”. Thus it would be irrelevant whether the Buddhist is a monk or a private citizen since most, if not all, of the advise offered to adherents is ring-fenced by the need for caution in one respect or another. This is not living. A healthy human being must be a free agent to experience life and learn from life and to thrive.

As an aside, I know from personal experience, this damages one’s mental health. To advise that one be dependent for one’s self-esteem on what others think, is extremely naïve. For example, younger women especially are suffering low self-esteem from using the internet and being exposed to other women advertising their “perfect” bodies, boyfriends and lifestyles. People play similar games all the time, games which are highly competitive and designed to put others down. Had I taken seriously what others thought of me, I would have not learned to stand up for myself. In a nutshell, Buddhism advises behaviours which are damaging. Buddhism does not live in the real world, in other words.

To conclude, Buddhism does not know what a mind is. It has no grounds for offering the advice it offers. The aim of Buddhism, if the above scenario were true, would be to place the soul into some sort of irrecoverable coma. And with goodness knows what consequence…….

Buddhism is a doctrine of salvation according to which everything in the world is impermanent, without self (persistent substance) and therefore suffering (unsatisfactory). Each individual being is a transient combination of factors of existence that spring up and disappear again according to eternal laws in functional dependence on each other (cf. Dharma). Since no good or bad action remains without effect, every stream of individual life finds its continuation according to the Kharma after death in a new existence. Moral action leads to gradual purification; realization and annihilation of thirst (will to live) to liberation, to nirvana.

Nirvana already played an important role for the Brahmins. It is the state that can already be reached during one’s lifetime through the disappearance of the life drive, which makes rebirth impossible after dying. Nirvana is understood by the Brahmins as the absorption of the individual soul (Atman) into the absolute (Brahman), by the Buddhists as an incomprehensible state of bliss, in which all factors of existence that condition an individual existence are finally annulled, so that being in Nirvana is equivalent to nothingness.

Is that something to strive for?

“May all beings have happy minds.” - Buddha

Buddha Travels West

Right, like this discussion does not unfold out in a particular historical, cultural and circumstantial context in which, existentially, social, political and economic folkways, mores and laws don’t gravitate around a set of memes that make “private language” talks all but impossible.

Again, back to each particular “generation, age and world” in which various No God moral and political agendas compete in much the same manner as the God world agendas. They clash. In other words, sooner or later all ethical proposals must come down to who has the actual power to enforce one rather than another set of behavioral prescriptions and proscriptions. And, here, Buddhism – East or West – is just one more spiritual path.

To me in particular. Okay, I suggest, bring on your ethical docket and let’s see how it might unfold “for all practical purposes” given a “situation” in which goods come into conflict.

Instead, it’s just more of this:

A moment to moment awareness of what in particular? Our “flourishing” or theirs? This “general description spiritual contraption” approach to religion is precisely the sort of comforting and consoling frame of mind that those here like Ierrellus cling to.

You know, if I do say so myself.

Not wanting to impress a point on anyone, I neutrally (outcome-independently) offer these fragments from one of Nietzsche’s most insightful books.
Ive copied the text wholesale and not re-added the emphases, click the link for proper format. Note: this does not perfectly reflect my own views of Buddhism but it does set it nicely in contrast to Christianity, which may offer the OP an additional way of approaching the doctrine.

Great, another “general description intellectual contraption”. This one attempting to intertwine Buddhism, Christianity and nihilism?

And, coming from Fixed Jacob, it is all filtered through his own understanding of value-ontology, astrology and the old gods.

Okay, given my own interest in and understanding of religion and nihilism as revolving around moral and political value judgments in a No God world, perhaps Fixed Jacob would like to focus in here on a particular set of circumstances. Bringing his “own views of Buddhism” and Nietzsche into an exchange that examines the behaviors he chooses on this side of the grave as they have relevance for his own assumptions regarding the fate of “I” on the other side of the grave.

Morality here and now, immortality there and then.

Which, from my own frame of mind, is the heart and the soul of any truly fundamental discussion of God and religion and philosophy: how ought one to live?

Buddha Travels West

“Diffuse and subliminal”. That is precisely the opposite direction I would like advocates of Buddhism to go. If your behaviors result in consequences that are spread out or below the surface of consciousness itself, struggle instead to focus the beam in on why you choose one set of behaviors rather than another. Given the manner in which Buddha described one’s spiritual path as enlightened engendering karma engendering a particular reincarnation engendering over time Nirvana itself.

What on earth does that mean to you when faced with that which we all come to deal with throughout our lifetimes: conflicting goods.

In other words, provided that you have not chosen the path that takes you beyond interactions with those who might challenge your behaviors. Sure, to the extent that you join, say, a Sangha, where everyone is “disciplined” to think exactly the same way about most aspects of human interaction, how hard can it be to “live your faith”.

Then back up into the “spiritual clouds”:

Got that?

Let me encompass it for you:

Eastern Buddhism travels West. As a result it encounters “new experiences, new relationships and access to new information, knowledge and ideas”. Brand spanking new assortments of “contingency, chance and change”. So, in some particular contexts, it is reconfigured so as to intertwine the East and the West into one or another hybrid Buddhism.

But…

The part that I am most interested in in regard to religion – connecting the dots existentially between morality here and now and immortality there and than – seems no less “diffuse and subliminal” for the Buddhists here in the West as in the East.

At least if my own personal experiences and this thread are any indication.

Buddha Travels West

In other words, given my own interest in religion – morality here and now, immortality there and then – nothing really changes.

“Not reincarnation or karma, but presence and attention.” Another general description intellectual/spiritual contraption that is still no less embedded in dasein, conflicting goods and political economy.

At least when you step outside the front door and start interacting with others.

Again: call it whatever you want. With or without reincarnation and Nirvana. Only, in “bringing it down to Earth”, note how you are able to become less fractured and fragmented than “I” am…given the components of my own moral philosophy.

Instead, it’s just more of the same:

If anyone here thinks that they understand what is being conveyed here…and is able to incorporate it into their own life…please, my all means, note how.

Note particular sets of circumstances and explain how all of the above allowed you to shift your frame of mind to a more constructive attitude when confronted precisely with the question that most preoccupies me: How ought one to live?

Faith without God ― a Buddhist Perspective
Posted by Judie Sigdel
at the buddha groove blog

In fact, this is surely one of the most perplexing reactions I have to Buddhism. How on earth can any religion not come back to a God/the God.

A No God religion seems beyond intelligible to me. With God you have a transcending font able to provide the faithful with a Scripture. And it covers both the here and the now and the there and the then. Live according to the will of God on this side of the grave and you gain both eternal life and salvation on the other side of it.

But No God? Buddha the mere mortal “thinking up” a spiritual path that intertwines enlightenment, karma, reincarnation and Nirvana with…the universe?

Okay, so how did he go about demonstrating that they do exist? And how did he differentiate them from a God/the God in regard to judgments that must be made in regard to human souls on either side of the grave?

This part: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_deities

How does it work “for all practical purposes”? Do all of the gods and goddesses get together to pass judgments on the souls of mere mortals? Is there a vote? How are these deities different from “the Gods” appealed to by the ancient Greeks and Romans?

Where do they all reside? Is there the equivalent here of Heaven?

And how on earth would they react to, say, someone like me? Someone who has often approached life and death from a deeply introspective frame of mind and has honestly come to a conclusion “here and now” that is not in sync with with either a God or a No God religion.

Edit:

More about the part where a God/the God or the gods and the goddesses take into account the intellectual honesty and integrity of those who make a genuine and sincere effort to think though the life that they lived. And, given the reality of actual free will, they are simply not able to think themselves into believing in either a God or a No God spiritual part?

Does that count in Buddhism?

Iambiguous,

Buddhism is a logical theology.

I make my sentences very clear most of the time, and I am enlightened.

I’ll tell you this:

1.) it takes 2 seconds to become enlightened. All you have to do is realize that win/lose and lose/lose realities don’t work

2.) sin is simply consent violation; some worse than others

3.) existence is sin itself because everyone is having their consent violated

4.) the purpose of our current state of being is to send everyone to their private heavens forever

5.) some enlightened beings have strong empowerments (this is what the Buddha called gods and devas). It’s not necessary to have strong empowerments to be enlightened

6.) I just made the new plan for every being in existence (forever). I actually teach gods and the Buddha’s at this point in my life —. Though I must admit, there’s TONS of shit they know that I don’t. It’s a reciprocal relationship of mastery and intellect between them and me

Posted by Judie Sigdel

Come on, the path would not exist without the mind behind the finger that pointed to it.

Also: Did Buddha invent it? Did Buddha discover it? How is that distinction made?

Also, there will always be the part where somehow the dots have to be connected between Buddha and the path…and then to the places that the path can or can’t, will or won’t, do or don’t take you “up there” or “out there” in the universe. Otherwise we are basically back to the Western path: the “mysterious ways” behind the whole truth.

Or, again, is it all more about my own unwillingness or inability to grasp the path “in good faith”?

Whether one worships Buddha or venerates him is largely irrelevant to me. At least given my own interest in religion. How does choosing one rather than another have any substantive impact on the behaviors that one embodies on this side of the grave in order to attain that which one would like their fate to be on the other side of it.

And how does this demonstrate that in fact Buddha did reach enlightenment? Here I go back to this: we’ll need a context of course.

The whole thing of Buddha consciousness means getting to know you are it. That takes a lot of work principally because society keeps telling you you are not it.

Posted by Judie Sigdel

But this path of enlightenment seems to emanate from but one more mere mortal who was “thrown” at birth into a particular historical and cultural context. And somehow he was able to “divine” this spiritual path that is then somehow connected to the universe that is then somehow flung back into the life of this mere mortal who “thinks up” components of this path said to revolve around enlightenment, karma, reincarnation and Nirvana. Placing his faith in all of this in the sangha inhabited by those who embody and sustain the dharma.

And then if someone like me shakes his head and says “huh?”, those of this faith will be more or less successful in fleshing it all out?

In other words, it’s not unlike narratives revolving around all of the hundreds of other religious paths down here. Except No God.

Okay, but what if the Three Jewels themselves are the delusion? After all, since there are the equivalent of “Jewels” in all of the other denominations as well aren’t we then back to pinning down which path is the One True Path?

And need I remind you of what is at stake here if you choose the wrong path?

What if the whole point of attaching yourself to these Jewels is but one more manifestation of what I call the “psychology of objectivism”? How does the true believer go about establishing that, while this may be the case for all those on other religious paths, it’s not the case for him. His really is the One True Path.

As for samsara – “the indefinitely repeated cycles of birth, misery, and death caused by karma” – how is this to be understood more definitively in regard to enlightenment, reincarnation and Nirvana?

Though the part about taking refuge in the Three Jewels seems readily understood by me. Refuge being the day to day embodiment of “comfort and consolation” that all such religious paths provide.

Posted by Judie Sigdel

Yes, for some that is the real test of their faith. But then are there not hundreds of religious and spiritual paths out there in which many will claim to have passed it. After all, as long as you believe that you have passed it, isn’t that as far as you need go? And that can be as far as it need go in regard to human interactions of this side of the grave. Are you able “to speak and behave more compassionately towards all sentient beings?” Does it “give [you] the strength to deal with daily life as well as with inevitable crises?” And to “provide comfort when [you] or a loved one are ill or dying?”

Yes? Then, no doubt about it, stick with it.

But then comes the part where your faith is linked in turn with immortality. Or with one or another rendition of salvation. Or the part where your own chosen behaviors come to clash with the behaviors of those on a conflicting spiritual path. Then how is it determined that you pass the text? Again, in particular, with Buddhism where there is no God around to bring it all down to Judgment Day.

Yes, this is more or less how I imagine any number of those who choose any number of religious paths, constructing a narrative in their head to make it all fit nicely into a foundation that they can embody comfort and consolation it. I was once one of them myself. And, sure, to the extent it prompts you to be more tolerant of others and to make this a kinder world…who can object to that?

But it really does not address the objections that I raise above in regard to conflicting goods among the various denominations and the part where the death of a loved one [and your own death] is not just subsumed in assumptions that can only be experienced in leaps of faith.

Nor does it address the questions raised on my Theodicy thread.

Nirvana, Buddhism, and the Path Explained
at the One Mind Dharma website

This is the sort of explanation that one would expect if it is derived solely from a world of words. You are interested in Samara and someone in the Buddhist community tells you what it is as a concept. If you were to probe further by noting a set of circumstances in your life that was deeply troubling you, and you wanted a more detailed understanding of your suffering and rebirth, you are not likely to get it.

And, in my view, that is because, as with all other religious denomominations, the “for all practical purpores” parts almost always involve only leaps of faith.

Here, of course, I have my own rendition of this. I believe that many who embrace one or another rendition of what I call “objectivism” are largely ignorant of the points I raise in my signature threads. They prefer to think of their own cycles of life and death as entirely comprehendible within the bounds of their own moral and political dogmas.

Of course the problem here is that this is the default frame of mind for all objectivists…God or No God. In other words, if you want to avoid being ignorant think like we do.

This prompts me to explore the question of free will itself: webpages.uidaho.edu/ngier/budfree.htm

“While the issue of free-will does not arise in Buddhism, it is indisputable that it embraces a universal determinism: every effect, without exception, has a cause. The idea that the will is uncaused or is self-caused violates the Buddhist principle of interdependent coorigination (prattiyasumutpada): nothing in the universe can originate itself as substances allegedly do or the will is said to do. Buddhist causality, however, is seen as a cosmic web of causal conditions rather than linear and mechanical notions of push-pull causation. Furthermore, the Buddha claimed that we are morally responsible only for those actions that we intend. He took strong exception to the Jain theory that we suffer from accidental karma, such as stepping on a bug that we do not see. The Jains, another Indian religion contemporary with Buddhism, charged that the Buddha’s qualified determinism would lead to antinomianism and ethical subjectivism. Only their strict determinism, they claimed, would maintain objective ethical standards.”

Anyone here willing to bring this down to earth by focusing in on particular sets of circumstances? Again, back to abortion. Given karma, who reaps and sows what given the conflicting goods embedded at both ends of the moral and political spectrum?

Nirvana, Buddhism, and the Path Explained
at the One Mind Dharma website

Come on, it’s not what is extinguished in regard to “I” on this side of the grave that preoccupies most of us in regard to the reality of, among other things, Heaven and Nirvana. Instead, it is in anticipating what awaits whatever “I” becomes on the “other side”. In other words, something, anything that allows us to imagine here and now that there is a there and then. Otherwise, from my frame of mind, religions exist in order to allow us to invent – think up – things like Heaven and Nirvana here and and in in order to attain and then sustain the psychologically comforting and consoling belief in immortality and paradise.

With Buddhism however it gets all the more ineffable:

Not a place…a state. A process. So, is Heaven understood by most Western religionists to be a state as well? A process? Or a place “up there” where souls are intertwined in God for all of eternity?

And then of course this part:

On the other hand, is it even possible to be less intelligible about nirvana than this? And isn’t the way that it is achieved embodied solely in the manner in which any particular individuals are able to convince themselves that they have achieved it? Without some demonstrable description or evidence of its actual existence how is it to be pinned down whether one has achieved it?