Ethics in a Nutshell

[Keeping it simple and direct, this is a new and improved version of an older thread. These moral principles are imperatives for the ethical life …the good life.]

KNOW YOUR ETHICS!

1. To the extent you can, regard everyone with dignity and respect.

2. We are to ‘be there’ for each other. Seek responsibility.

3. Be kind, considerate, courteous.

4. Be aware of your core-values and standards.

5. Be mindful to do no harm! For example, don’t cheat, steal from, or disparage others.

6. If you want to be treated decently, treat others decently.

7. Avoid (with all your heart) selfishness, corruption, hypocrisy. By “hypocrisy” is meant here: having a double standard: one for yourself, and one for others. Avoid it! Be consistent. Be real.

(8) :sunglasses:ave self-respect, and exercise Self-Management. That is to say, don’t give in too-easily to temptation and desire – have some self-discipline. And avoid greed; it is a neurotic disorder

1. Continue growing morally throughout life. This means: continue adding moral principles by which to live. (+)

2. Actually live by them. Practice those principles; put them into action. Strive to have a good character, to be sincere, honest, to have integrity, to be authentic, and caring! In this way you will set a good example!

+) [size=88]Some illustrations and examples of principle are tentatively proposed on pp.27-28 of The Structure of Ethics. A link to a pdf of it is given as the first Reference below.[/size]

Understand that all the moral principles offered are tentative and subject to revision. They are not rules but merely suggestions.

Here are, as examples, are some further principles you may not find elsewhere: Don’t engage in quarrels.
If any kind of conflict arises, end it as quickly as possible! Settle it.
Be an optimist – rather than a pessimist or a complainer. {An “optimist” is defined as: one who names things so that they can be described as “good.” E.g., “This is a good problem!!" “I have a good headache.” “She used to live in a good slum.” Etc.} Optimists also set a good example of how to live positively.
Make your interactions with other people turn out to be “win/win” situations.
Be a value-creator.

What do you think? Please respond with your evaluation of this effort to present the essentials of Ethics. I tried to keep it simple.

This is all just theory, doc. While we’ve been able to study human group behavior in many different environments and contexts, never once have we been able to actually observe a group inside of a nutshell. We have no idea how such a group would interact there.

That list seems good to me.

The challenge to you is to transform it from mere theory into practice :exclamation:

Make it into living experience – a process what Bergson referred to as “compenetration.” He wrote extensively on the topic of creativity.

As you create yourself into an individual who others would describe as one who ‘has a good character,’ then also ‘give yourself;’ offer your self-expression to the world; share (the results of) your talents. […I know you do some of this already.]

And take to heart the words of Immanuel Kant, who said:

:sunglasses:

Thank you, Dan, for the feedback on my effort to sum up the essentials of Ethics in what might take two pages, with font-size 16.

What do the rest of you Readers think? Is it wise to be concise?

Now that you know your Ethics, if any of you have skill at teaching, the next step would be for you to teach these points to students, or to those you mentor or tutor. Let’s change the world for the better !!!

“Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.”

“When we help each other, we all thrive.”

“Lifting up those at the socio-economic bottom, will make us all better off.”

as a way to apply Ethics to society’s problems, let’s encourage the government to provide a strong safety-net, and to provide opportunity for advancement as a way to decrease poverty.

What say you?

[b]Learn to rely on your Ethics

even more than you rely

on your smartphone![/b]

[size=85]{To understand what is meant by “Ethics,” read the literature cited below.}[/size]

What do you believe is basic to ethics that I omitted to mention in my original post above? I would like to consider adding it to the list of essentials.‘’

For example, I did not mention: Make things better.
Nor did I mention: Don’t be a martyr. [It’s very okay, though, to be a “hero” in CNN’s sense of the word, as seen at their website. We note there the sort of people they nominate to receive their “Hero of the Year” award.]
Nor did I write (but could have): Encourage policies that strengthen the safety-net for the extremely-poor. One such policy might be direct cash payments to those able-bodied who show a willingness to work, instead of the humiliating and bureaucratic steps we submit them to now.
I did not bring up: Write into law that in a democracy we all have the right to vote, to exercise our franchise. Is this not also essential?

So I ask of you: When you think of “ethics” what comes to mind that should have been listed as basic?

A lovely list, friend.

Possible things that occur to me:

a) Make time for self reflection. Contemplate your actions after the fact, and consider whether in retrospect there may have been a better approach.

b) Seek to learn from not only yourself, but from others - everyone holds truth, regardless of whether they’re aware of it or not. With gentle, compassionate regard for the other… we may draw lessons, information and truth from them [or even the environment at large] - regardless of whether they sought to teach us or not.

c) [this may tie into ‘Don’t be a martyr’.] Treat not only others ethically, but yourself too. We are all worthy of consideration and compassion. Seek not to neglect or undermine your own needs without just cause - factor your own well-being into decisions.

=

Perhaps there are more, but again, these are my initial thoughts.

Greetings, Ben

You and Dan inspire me. I am comforted by the thought that even when I am ashes and dust you younger guys will carry on the work. The result will be that human beings will get closer to living in an ethical world.

When people are clear about their values they likely will choose to live ethically rather than to cut corners, to be malicious, to deceive, or to"put people on" (for a little sadistic fun.) They won’t be as likely to worship money for it s own sake [to indulge in Greed.] They will be fussy about the means they use to get to their ends-in-view. Those means (steps to reach the goal) will have to qualify as “ethical.”

They will not want to do any damage, to needlessly destroy, or to confuse, or to initiate chaos. They will have a constructive attitude. They will be cosmic optimists. They will be devoted to goodness.
When somebody writes something, and shows it to them, they will say to themselves: “How can I glean something from this that can be used to build a better world?” rather than saying: “How can I cleverly criticize this?” [and thereby score a few points. …and maybe get a laugh at the writer’s expense.]
Those who know their Ethics will not harbor grievances, nor be smart-alecs. They will minimize their hypocricy, will avoid selfishness; and they worn’t corrupt themselves by committing one of the Ethical Fallacies.

Ancient Shinto Philosophy teaches individuals to be mentally and physically strong (healthy) in order better to be more-helpful to others. To be of service to others is the point. Yes, we are prewired to seek our own personal benefit; what we need to be reminded is to assume some responsibility, and to be willing to be held accountable for our performance.

Today, Ethics theory teaches us to be value-creators; to innovate, to figure out how everybody can be ‘a winner.’

I thank you for responding and providing feedback. I am grateful!

Readers:

My question for you is: What did I miss (in my effort to sum up the basics of ethics)?
Is there something essential, or highly relevant, that you feel I omitted?

And can you provide me with some pressing moral dilemma - to which I will apply the new paradigm in order to resolve that dilemma …or at least show how it may be resolved. If you have more than one to present that would be fine also.

Thank you in advance for contributing!

ON MORAL COURAGE

See the video at this site: moralcourage.com/founder/

Check out the summary of the topic at this site: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_courage

and also make note of these sites:

moralcourage.us/ht/d/sp/i/180/pid/180

and here - moralcourage.us/ht/d/sp/i/180/pid/180

as well aas: -
udayton.edu/artssciences/ctr/hr … /index.php

What’s your take on this important concept of “Moral courage.”

Your views on this are relevant and appreciated………

Darnell Frasier, 17-years old, offers a contemporary example of Moral Courage. She was threatened with having Mace sprayed into her face if she did not cease filming the torture and brutal murder of 32-year-old George Floyd.

She continued to film, with her smart phone, the video of the nearly 10-minute incident, and then she posted it fearlessly on her Facebook page, where all the world could witness the horror. It went viral. It became the chief evidence in a trial of Officer Derek Chauvin. The rest, as they say, is history.
cnn.com/us/live-news/derek- … index.html

Historians will note that today, April 20, 2021, was a turning-point in U.S. justice, and police-reform policies …although this remains to be seen and will depend upon your activism for bringing us closer to an Ethical world …one that cares about the sne sanctity of human life [one that Intrinsically-values individuals who have individuality.]

When people say “Black lives matter” they are not excluding the broader point that 'all lives matter.

What say you?

{If you have the inquiring mind of a philosopher [a lover of wisdom], you may want to know what is meant by “Ethical” in the phrase “an Ethical world,” or what is meant by “Intrinsic” valuation. For more details, see the safe-to-open selections in the References below.

I would like to know what you think with regard to this proposed legislation designed to stop one form of cheating? It proposes to close some tax loopholes that enable large corporations to avoid paying any taxes at all; it will not raise any individual’s taxes but would raise, over 10 year, an enormous amount of revenue for the United States.

What is your evaluation of this measure? Could you, as a constructive activity, ever lobby for this law by urging your I.S. Senator to co-sponsor it?

I think most morals and ethics boils down to kindness.
Kindness means we give our excess do the needy,
and refrain from attacking those who we see as different.

Giving our excess requires we work efficiently and make a surplus.

Holding back attacks requires self control and self awareness.

Ethics began with the realization that there are things and beings other than the Self. It happens to every newborn.
Evolution shows altruism is a survival mechanism.
Ethics expands when one is able to see the Other as worthy of the Good regardless of Self, clan, society, country-
The Good is addressed human needs such as clothing, food, water, housing., etc.

I agree! Isn’t that above proposition another way of stating what the proposed system of Ethics – the new paradigm – speaks of as “the definition of 'Ethics.'”
It says, as you noted when you examined The Structure of Ethics document (pp. 29-21) that when we Intrinsicially-value another individual, or group of them, we are in the field of Ethics.

I also agree that in a normal individual’s [human] development, the baby reaches a point where he/she realizes: “there are beings out there that are distinct from me. They seem not to be part of me, myself.”

Thanks for the Evolutionary perspective… As you may have noticed, I touched on this myself when I wrote on the evolution of the concept of cooperation.

BYW, you use a term that was not in the Ethical theory offered here, namely “altruism.” What is your definition of that word? How does it differ from what is presented as among ‘the facts of Ethics’ in the Structure document (See p. 11.)

Thank you, once again, for contributing.

Ive tried your methods, but they have led to pain.
Too much to go into it, but one thing that is crucially wrong is to hold yourself to the same standards as others - because this means you hold others by the same standards as yourself, which means, if youve got integrity, that you make demands on them that are not yours to make.

Simple ethics: examine your values by exposing them to each other in life and bring them into accord with each other; work to eliminate contradictions in your valuing. Become monadic, so you can be a pillar to a merciful culture.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altruism
This is a much more thorough examination of the meanings of altruism than I could offer in a simple summary such as “unselfish giving”. It contains scientific, psychological and religious interpretations.

I think it would be difficult to make a distinction between what it is like to be ethical and what it is like to be moral. In any event ethics, morality and decency are human labels for actions done by humans or animals.
In our time biodiversity in an ecosystem must act in ways that the good affects Self and Other, since we are interconnected physically and mentally. I like the term “plenitude”-a whole comprised of a variety of interconnected parts. Unless we see ourselves in such a way, we will destroy our planet. Even now the disconnect between isolated individuals threatens our very existence. Moral or ethical behavior depends on willful harmony on the part of humans.

In a nutshell–we must unite in care for our planet, our only universal home. Ethics depends on survival.