Glitter Pope

The extravagant hat and throne of a pope that laments consumerism and glitter. “Do as I say, not as I do,” says Pope Benedict the Hypocrite.

[edit] in case anyone is confused about what the hell I’m talking about, he gave a christmas speech recently.

Does the Pope really lament glitter? That’s news to me, but I’m not Catholic - and never was.

Not all glitter is consumerism. I’m not seeing the hypocricy here. Consumerism is about the instant gratification of individuals. The church isn’t saying that buying things is, in itself, bad. Material offerings to the church are seen as good, for a number of reasons.

I missed your edit…

If your girlfriend asked you to look beyond her lipstick and eyeshadow to discover who she really is as a person, would you call her a hypocrite?

If my girlfriend lamented my consumerism while spending more money on jewelry than I could ever imagine, she’s a hypocrite.

True, but you’ve changed the meaning significantly. The church is concerned about the ascent of individualism, of which consumerism is one manifestation. Hospitals buy enormous amounts of stuff. Is that “consumerism”? Clearly not. Hospitals aren’t gratifying their egos when they buy the stuff they need.

You must not know the difference between consumer goods and capital goods.

Why would you say that?

FJ, I’m saying that the church isn’t opposed to buying things. They’re not even opposed to buying lots of things. The issue is why people buy lots of things, and what good or harm it does. You may not agree that the Church’s glitter is a good thing, but they think it is. It’s not necessarily hypocrisy.

Hey, maybe you’re right. Intuitively, though, it’s pretty weird to hear from someone covered from head to toe in glitter anything negative about glitter.

Perhaps the Pope’s glitter is deep as opposed to the superficial glitter of the masses. :-k

That’s nothing compared to the popes in Borgia.