A unique approach to the discussion on nihilism.

There is a triad as in anything else, and what is missing is the effective form.  How can cognitive and emotional nihilism be compensated, as it has to be with some kind of actuality?  For instance regardless, social responsibility dictates some kind of correlation.  It may then, again, emotionally speaking be a trait, rather then a point of view.  Even in the most perfect island, without naming it, divisions will form, not necessarily in absolute terms.

Do you say that from experience or just from reading and thinking the issue over?

I already said that one of my three exceptions to nihilism is nihilism (the other two being life, family), so yes, it will never be completely accomplished.

No one who has ever experienced severe emotional depression would ever think anyone would wish for it, if like them, they’ve already experienced it, I have, so no I don’t wish for it. “Things” cause depression, lack of “things” cause depression, not even recognizing the existence of “things”, emotionally or cognitively, seems to me to be a way of avoiding depression, but it only a educated guess, that experience has partially taught me.

Well, I don’t think someone whose life has been a picnic would think in such a way.

It may well be the “wrong” focus, but where has the “right” focus ever gotten me?

From a masters level of psychology and about 20 years of intelligence design added to it (and another 10 years of working with people as subjects).

Depression has two prime causes; physiological affectance and the perception of hopelessness or loss.

That is why I made my first suggest of “starting over”.
But no big deal… just suggestions.

Nobody can desire the illness of the soul.
Nevertheless, in that suffering a voice can finally make to be heard.
So that this can perhaps happen it is necessary to have faith in the Truth, and to make back a footstep and to listen.
I lived it.

James, with your experience I’m not inclined to argue with when you say the above, but it’s just shocking to me being that I was the most depressed when I believed so much and far less so now when I believe so little.

bobgo, you’ve explained your belief on the nature of truth, I’d like to know some of your beliefs in general. What is your views on morality or the lack thereof, are you religious, etc?

Once a depression succeeds, you don’t feel it any more.
The frustration of attempting something in the wrong way eventually leads to a feeling of depression as your subconscious tries to inspire you to stop trying…“give it up”, “it is pointless/hopeless”.

If you actually stop trying (wrong way or not), the feeling is not there any more to urge you to give up.

Don’t confuse the action of nihilism or “depressing/destroying” with the feeling or urge of “depression” (nor of anger).

And also realize that feelings of depression often have nothing to do with what you are actually doing. They can spring from physiological interference (chemicals/viruses in the brain).

Thus you can be tricked into giving up on things that were actually making progress for you merely because you felt depressed, although had no logistical reason for it. It was purely medical.

In a thread about nihilism, yes, this makes perfect sense.

It’s an exact inversion of this:

“Faith in God, a God who is the source of infinite possibilities.
Even if the truth could instead be: the Absolute [God].”

The god of nihilism is nothingness.

I think more in terms of Entropy being the “god” and Nothingness as its attempted creation.

Although in reality, Anentropy is the God and Nothingness can never actually happen.

Well said, James. I have no issue with those terms.

Nihilism is the disability to endure pain, just as cowardice is … nihilism.

Hey, show a little respect, can I see some capitol letters on those three terms??!! size=50[/size]

Not in the “g”. =;

:sunglasses:

Yes, pain hurts, and when I used to believe in things I’d been known to rush head first into things, I still have a headache. Now, I don’t know about the cowering part, but I never leave home without a pair of dice.

I don’t know about the first line, but the rest makes a lot of sense, my subcnscious has been known to do that more through anxiety than depression though.

What? Nevermind.

True.

If you’re saying that sometimes you’re being tricked and sometimes your subconscious is depressing you for good reasons, then I agree.

I am here, given to myself, and I am not the giver.
In my “being here” there is no truth on which I can count that really relieves me in what I have to decide. So, every choice is up to me, but… I can do nothing without help.
I believe in the Good, in the Right one, in the Truth, but I don’t know them because they are not here.
So it is up to me to search and to take a risk choosing what that appears to me good, right, true.

I can love or I can dislike only what is “being here” or it has been.
Without those sentiments I would be nothing.
Nevertheless, I know that what I love or I dislike it does not exist in itself.
Besides, I am not even really certain of my love, so I have always to repeat my act of faith in my love.

It is because of all that that I believe that God is, even if He there is not.
In the name of my faith in the Good, in the Right, in the Truth, God is!

The Foundation cannot be here, because everything that is here has to show its foundation. And that foundation, to be here, has to show its foundation. A continuous calling that or it never ends or it stops in front of the Foundation that does not need any foundation. That Foundation is not here, there is not, because It is.

Therefore God, the Foundation, there is not, that is, He appears as the Nothingness.
But it is possible to have faith only in what there is not. Believing in what there would be, but that it does not show its foundation, it is superstition.

I think you have a good approach to your philosphy on belief and choices, I generally agree with most of what you said, but I don’t belive in the Good, I hope you manage to sustain that belief, it’s really worth keeping if possible.

In our reality, “being here”, there is only the relative one.
And what there is not… it is nothing.

It is for that reason that the Absolute one is nothing in the “being here”.
God is the Nothingness, because God is the Absolute one

Bobgo, as I said earlier most of what you say is so reminisant of Sartre’s B&N, have you read Part one in the OP? And if so do you agree with the parts where I spoke of Sartre. Also, this is a post where I wrote about Sartre a few months ago, if you get a chance let me know what you think.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=180246

(I’m refering to just the last post, skip the first 4 or 5 paragraphs.)

I also wonder when Jaspers wrote the books of his you’ve been most influenced by.

It is not so much that you may need the Good but it is the Good that needs you.
It is not a way to say, Good there is not, it is only up to you to do that It is.