Battlestar Galactica

SIATD,

That’s the point. You don’t distinguish between places in the Americas… they’re all Americans, to you, and thus all of them have no culture, except killing brown people, etc, etc. I was comparing Sarah Palin to you.

I think Canadians are going to find themselves judged unfairly by SIATD. I mean, meaningless consumption for Canadians would be a substitute, in their case, for British cultures, or French in Quebec. And while they have participated in some US military events, they rarely used massive over-expeditures of force. They are a restrained people, looking askance to both the South and East.

I’d like to say SIATD does not represent all British people, we are not so crass as to think that our opinions are widely expressed by a minority of people like him, most of us are far more ignorant and racist than that. :wink:

Battlestar Gallactica was ok, I kinda liked it, but it, like many series never really reached the potential it could of had.

Yes, thank you for saying so. I’ve always thought of myself that way… restrained, reserved, polite, impartial, etc… (cough cough)

Some would say it’s easy to appear this way, when you are standing behind the USA, letting them with power hold responsibility for all things to be done—where all criticism tends to be directed at, no matter who has the power. I tend to think the problem with the Iraq war, for instance, was a massive under-expenditure of force… such that, after the invasion, basic services and historical sites and civilian places where not adequately protected, at all. Dick Cheney, I think, once said that the Americans would be “greated as liberators”—and he was thrashed for that comment everywhere. But wasn’t he right? I remember the pictures, at least. That could be selective media—but we have a free press. It wasn’t until none of these services, and common places, and museums, and stores, and businesses were not protected, that the people there understandably were pissed. And that didn’t take long to realize.

Oh, sure, of course, I mean, a lot of you become hockey players, nuff said. But once we are making global generalizations about AMERICANS, and including all North Americans - though why South Americans would not be Americans is another question or Central Americans and they do seem to want to be consumers - Canadians don’t seem to quite fit the description. Plus, I wanted to get in what culture it is that Canadians do not have, which would likely be his, not that people back home at the center of the old empire have it either anymore.

It was actually a fairly reasonable expenditure given their goals, and protecting Iraquis and their culture were not amonst these. Reasonable at first, not moral, but reasonable. Then came the giant transfer of public funds to privitized armies and companies that, wow, Cheney used to work for. Amazing coincidences. Thank God I don’t use Occam’s R.

But this is all a tangent from the metaphorically approrpriate BG. Even though I probably agree with much of his politics, I just think its funny what he said and, well, glasshouses and all, once we are all our countries.

I just bought season 2, 2.5, 3, 4, and 4.5 off of ebay for fifty bucks and change. (Not sure what’s with the “.5”'s).

See ya’ll in like a month, after I’m fired, girlfriendless, stink, and with a huge beard, at some convention or something.

hiddenfromhistory.org/

Basically the same story - some white Europeans turned up, killed the brown people, colonised and consumed the country. Canadians may be much more pleasant, interesting and intelligent people than Americans (there are exceptions, such as those who praise America for spending money they don’t have to keep them employed in futile work), but their backstory is the same.

I can make any distinction I like. There’s a clear difference between, say, Guatemala and the US. There is far less of a difference between Canada and the US. In particular, South Americans and Central Americans do not call their homes ‘South America’ and ‘Central America’ because most of them don’t speak English. Most people in the US and Canada do speak English (well, sort of), hence ‘Americans’.

I’d rather be Sarah Palin than Barack Obama. At least Palin wouldn’t have kept you employed.

That’s what I would have guessed about you.

I meant that in an entirely ‘so I could stand naked in front of the mirror’ kind of way.

A few thoughts at the close of season #1… I’m going to try to keep these of strictly philosophical interest, rather than plot intriques…

1. One thing I’ve been thinking about is what makes the Cylon computer race different than humans. Biologically, they’re almost identical, I assume. Maybe there’s some difference in their brain—since they seem to be able to shut off pain at will. But they can feel pain, form attachments, have their projects/plans diverted by those attachments, and so on. They come pre-programmed with a mission, or if not a mission, then general propensities to act a certain way. Leoben is a manipulator. Number 6 is a seductress. I’m not sure what Boomer is—an attacker, I guess. These are normal human qualities, too. When they are self-consciously Cylons, rather than Cylons who are unaware of being Cylons, they are startlingly religious. But their religion is monotheistic, and sounds a lot like Christianity—whereas the humans seem to be polytheists. So, if there’s some software controling the entire Cylon race, programming each individual version of the software, then presumably the computer as put itself into these individual programs—it couldn’t have been trying to replicate human beliefs. So, in that sense, the Cylons seem closer to humans like us, rather than the human race from Caprica. Yea, so, in general, one philosophical question would be about what makes them essentially different.

2. I’ve been wondering if there’s any way to tell if Dr. Baltar has gone insane, or whether he actually has a chip in his brain. Seems that being implicated in a genocide unwittingly would be enough to make someone go insane, or have visions, or so on. But he seems to be a total narcissist, who cares only about himself—which might make going insane on account of having been causally related in hurting others a bit odd. Though, I suppose he could have gone insane just because he’s worried, in the back of his mind, about being caught. Though, there doesn’t seem to be any risk of that. I’m just going to assume for now that he actually does have a chip in his brain, and I’m wondering whether Number 6 is actually in love with him, or is just using him. I think this might be more of a plot question that can’t be answered now. But it occurs to me to wonder about this every time she interferes. One consideration is that there’s that scene early in the series where she breaks the young baby’s neck. That would make her seem totally evil. But there was no strategic reason to do so, and she might have done it knowing that chaos and death were about to happen in some hours, and she was mercy-killing. Anyways, I think the philosophically interesting question would be whether or not to give in to a woman like Number 6—trust her, do what she says, submit, basically. Pro: She is smoking hot. For all practical purposes she is real. She seems to care—because she could have caused the humans great harm already, and hasn’t. Con: It’ll take some religiousizing. She is a computer—whatever diff that makes. Um, what else? Though, I had a thought that if Dr. Baltar did give in, basically, he’d become like Captain Ty, or whatever his name is… he guy with the drunken wife who fucks him over, (and who just happens to be a Cylon, but that’s beside the point, because he had a real wife who did the same).

Well, there’s more, but that’s it for now…

Oh, I suppose another philosophical question would be about who you’d want to jump on first… Number 6, or Star Buck, or Boomer. Seems relevant. I’d say Star Buck.

I’d go in this order, (I googled them). Asian one, blonde one, one with birthing hips.

I’d rather be George Bush so I could peep on those twin daughters of his.

I put mine in the exact opposite order from you. Weird.

I remember that scene in Kingpin, I think it was, where they’re driving with the Amish guy, and the other guy says something like, “whoa, she’s hot”… and the Amish guy responds something like, “ha, jokes on you, she could only have 3 or 4 babies with those narrow hips”.

Having said that, I just want to point out that I’m not Amish…

No shit. And here I was thinking ‘you know, there must be a lot of Amish people sitting in futile debt-funded jobs since that’s entirely in keeping with their traditions of hard work and self-reliance’ like a sucker…

Are you referring to police, teachers, lawyers, doctors, firemen, construction workers, research scientists, or who… when you say “futile debt-funded jobs”.

It seems just like trolling to me…

I used to hang out with a bunch of Mennonite ladies and bake pretzels. No shit. In Lancaster Pennsylvania.

Asks the lawyer…

You seem like a useless, talentless, retarded parasite to me…

Good. I’d have to do some serious self-reflection if you were to declare you thought highly of me.

There’s a lot of love in this thread. I can feel it.