Battlestar Galactica

Oh, Smears. It’s easy to sit in judgment. Battlestar Gallactica is an issue like abortion (think of the poor Cylons)…it brings out strong feelings and opinions. A community airing of all this is very valuable.

I don’t watch the show. All I know is that its science fiction and there’s a woman president. I don’t like fantasy.

Sarcasm noted. If I’m pissed, it’s because I’m being called a retarted parasite, and such things. I just want to talk Battlestar Gallactica—lots of interesting topics related to philosophy present. The smartest show/movie I’ve seen. Watch it.

Never watched the show but given Mo’s reaction above I just had to google “battlestar galactica and morality”.

Found this:

existentialmarriage.wordpress.co … galactica/

Enough said?

Yes, you’ve never watched the show. You should. The fact is there are a host of issues raised in the show that cut across every area of philosophy. It’s not that there’s a viewpoint of the show, there’s many presented, and its somewhat thought provoking—not position oriented or argumentative.

This is still Hollywood, right? So how “deep” can the discussion really go. But I hear you. I still enjoy watching episodes from the original Star Trek. And I’m sure BG has considerably more shades of gray then Rodenberry’s crew were permitted to broach.

I’m not sure, technically I think it’s Vancouver. But even Hollywood puts out some good things from time to time.

Lol, well a female president in the US is unlikely but not impossible. One day their will be a gay president, a female president, a lesbian president and probably a president who doesn’t believe in God, although I think it will be in that order and the last will be about 1 million years from the other ones. :slight_smile:

For real philosophers:

buzzfeed.com/donnad/watch-no … l-blood-am

Not.

I’m glad someone noted it, I don’t think Smears did. My humor - I realize I have already made a big assumption by calling it that - is generally rather idiosyncratic. I wasn’t aiming that at you. You guys are not arguing about Battlestar Gallactica. I know, I was part of the argument for a bit.

No more mister nice Gaius!

Not enough abstract-skyhook-jumbo like ‘dasein’ in the transcripts for ya? Why don’t you just watch the first mini-series…

I imagine that the number of Amish people that receive food stamps would surprise you, at least, in Ohio. I really can’t speak for anywhere else, in that regard.

Tell me the number and I’ll tell you whether it surprises me.

I’ll freely admit that I don’t have, and can’t seem to find, the number; my statement was pretty much just based on observation of a good many Amish individuals using the food stamp card. I’m surprised to see any of them with it, given their convictions, but Ohio (for whatever reason) expelled a ton of energy into getting them to take it, especially in Geauga and Holmes Counties where they still adamantly refuse it.

Geauga and Holmes Counties:

freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1721419/posts

It seems to be different in my County, however, because we don’t have a high Amish population, yet I have seen many different Amish people presenting the foodstamp card, in fact, I don’t recall ever seeing an Amish person who was not presenting the food stamp card at a certain discount store, though I have seen some Amish at Wal-Mart who paid cash for foodstuff.

They really are a fascinating bunch, though, for some reason there’s this strange conception prevalent amongst people around here that the Amish hate English people. I don’t think anything can be further from the truth, the Amish people I have encountered are exceptionally friendly if you simply approach them in a manner that is both cheerful and polite (i.e. the same way you should first approach anyone)…though I have been told that my grin is disarming, so that could have something to do with it as well.

Also, when an Amish individual has attained the age of 17, he/she is free to leave after work is done on Friday and not return until Monday morning when work has to be started again. Speaking again from personal observation, I can say that many of the Amish individuals of this age (and older) are perfectly capable of throwing down hard with respect to partying. For example, a number of them attended a country music festival that takes place in the area (and stayed at the hotel I manage) and they came back just shy of hopelessly inebriated. They were all younger, though, I’d put them between 20-25 all.

I have heard rumours that the youth are actually encouraged to interact with the English in order to make an informed decision as to whether or not they wish to continue with the Amish way of life or whether they would instead wish to live among the English. I’m not sure whether or not that’s true as I have never directly asked.

OK, so you don’t have the number and are relying solely on anecdotal evidence. Not necessarily a problem, but I thought I had made it clear that economically speaking it make far more sense to have people on food stamps than to employ them doing futile, unproductive jobs. Hence we’re not comparing apples with apples, we’re comparing an apple (Mo, who can only find a job via the government taking on more untenable debt) with oranges (the Amish, or at least those on food stamps).

If you have a govn’t job (like a teacher, or firefighter, or policeman, or lawyer, or doctor in places where there’s universal healthcare)… you are doing futile unproductive work? Is that what you’re saying, troll? And if you’re a teacher or doctor or lawyer or policeman that means you’re unemployable in the private world? Troll, is that what you’re saying?

You don’t take yourself seriously. Why should I?

We’ve already been through this and I made my position quite clear.

You admitted you only had a job because of the size of Obama’s ‘stimulus package’. You have also not denied being a lawyer, which is a quite different job from a fireman. You clearly aren’t a fireman because you’re a coward.

Whether I take myself seriously or not, and whether you take me seriously or not, has nothing to do with whether what I’m saying is true.

In sum, get a proper job.

No, you made it quackish.

A lawyer is in the same position as a fireman, policeman, teacher, or doctor. Their salary is funded entirely by the government. And many of them owe their jobs to the stimulus package, because otherwise they’d have been lost. Are you denying this, troll?

Then let me clarify: You don’t take yourself seriously, and what you’re saying is not true.

Are you denying that you’re a lawyer, and therefore sub-human?