F.A.

What do you think of fundamentalists anonymous?
secular-sobriety-chat.blogspot.c … -anonymous

For me it says the page does not exist.

Same here.

Likewise.

If they call themselves, “fundamentalists”…my first instinct tells me they’re probably some kind of hate group. “Anonymous” makes me think they’re doing something that they’re ashamed of deep down, or they’re just cowards.

But to be fair, the link doesn’t work for me either.

That site worked once. Oh well. Fundamentalists anonymous is a 12 step group similar to AA. It is of the “freedom from religion” ilk. Its members are those who believe religious indoctrinations have been detrimental to their lives.

Is one of the steps that they have to turn that shit over to a higher power?

Sounds perfectly fine and reasonable.

It opened fine for me:

ffrf.org/

We need more like it. Providing of course that they resist approaching No God from the crippling mindset of the objectivist. In other words, folks who insist on seeing these relationships as, say, simple.

This is the correct link:
secular-sobriety-chat.blogspot.c … ymous.html

Well, they both work for me. Just not religiously.

Why is this a big deal? If the kids want to have a Christian club in a high school, then why shouldn’t they. And why shouldn’t the teacher say that she runs it? Why shouldn’t she say that she’s Christian?

Problems would only arise if she marked tests based on religion. Or if the school blocked non-Christian clubs.

ffrf.org/news/news-releases/item … ball-field

Not all who join FA are against religion. Most are reacting to the crippling mind effects of fundamentalism.

Those 12 steps directly deny the existence of God and the legitimacy of any religion. :confusion-shrug:

Replacing the “higher power” with one’s own “inner strength”.

Maybe I misread the 12steps, but I don’t see them as negating God per se, just the fundy God. “the God who never made sense.”

The ‘god who never made sense’ can be every/any god. In the context of all the other ‘steps’, it’s almost certainly a denial of God in general rather than a specific fundy god.

:laughing:

Depends on what exactly is meant by “never made sense”. Maybe they mean the concepts of Gods which contain contradictory statements and are therefore impossible (fundy gods mostly) or just the general lack of evidence for any deity which renders belief in them senseless.