Goethe and the concept of the Eternal Feminine

In tribute to the eternal feminine.

The eternal feminine is a psychological archetype or philosophical principle that idealizes an immutable concept of “woman”. It is one component of gender essentialism, the belief that men and women have different core “essences” that cannot be altered by time or environment. The concept is commonly associated with the genius Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, who mentioned it near the end of his famous " Faust". It’s also mentioned by many other individualities from Plato to Jakob Böhme.

For Goethe, “woman” symbolized pure contemplation, in contrast to masculine action. The feminine principle is further articulated by Nietzsche within a continuity of life and death, based in large part on his readings of ancient Greek literature, since in Greek culture both childbirth and the care of the dead were managed by women. Domesticity, and the power to redeem and serve as moral guardian, were also components of the “eternal feminine”. The virtues of women were inherently private, while those of men were public.

Eros was a male god and one of the ones born closer to the original and first creative chaos.
If I remember right.

Dan - Yes. Eros is a male god, son of Aphrodite. But some myths paint him out to be a primordial god.

Böhme and the Divine Sophia:

Goethian Eternal-Feminine and Nature:

The Meaning of the Eternal-Feminine in Goethe’s Drama Faust:
diginole.lib.fsu.edu/etd/5076/

The Eternal-Feminine, to me, is a very profound and reified concept. The smoothness, delicacy and voluptuousness of the female form has always fascinated and inspired me. There is no greater ecstasy than reveling in the sexual perfection of a beautiful woman’s body. Some of my greatest artistic and philosophical visions emanated from sexual intercourse with females – very tantric experiences, which is kind of ironic, considering that, traditionally, sex is perceived as a mundane hindrance to the philosopher. But sex, for me, is very mystical. Though it’s a physical act, the spiritual nature of it, to me, supersedes the material. It is the unification of the masculine and feminine, the two become one - harmonized.

Touching on my prior quotational entries, I agree with the perception of women as symbols of immortality. Authentic sexual intercourse, from a male’s perspective, is symbolic of entering the gates of heaven, i.e., eternal life; the vagina is the " Holy of Holies ", and I don’t say that with any underlying humor whatsoever. The sexual euphoria of entering a woman is even on par with the religious notion of the ecstatic experience of entering the pearly gates. Through sex, the male ( and female ) is allowed to perpetuate himself by passing on his genetic material. The continuation of organic life is a raging, passionate love for life – a sort of animistic-teleology, if you will. The female form is the incarnation of the beauty of nature, the beauty of life and the cosmos. Call me a romantic-idealist all you want, but to know a beautiful woman intimately, for me, is like communion with an angel or goddess; something divine about it, that I can’t fully articulate.

Ah, sweet woman --so ethereal and bewitching. I acknowledge that my fascination for women is, peculiarly, greater than most, but it serves me well in my endeavors.

My own edited Nietzschean styled quote: " Life without women would be a mistake."

Three singers who conjure up images of the Eternal-Feminine:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wfYIMyS_dI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVh3AOHDtso[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL9KWB0M4UU[/youtube]

Wow - an entire thread chock-full of sexist bullshit.
How remarkably 19thC of you! You should take up Islam!
Have you not heard of the 1960s?

How did you misconstrue this thread as sexist? IT glorifies, nay, it DEIFIES women!

Where is the sexism?

You are kidding??

It misunderstands women, it caricatures women. It imposes and impossible standard, a standard that woman are not given a choice over. It is a caricature invented by a man.
This is what a real woman looks like.

Here is another woman. You say you have “always” been inspired by their physical form… How do you feel about this one?

Can you site examples in this thread where these purported " impossible standards " are located? It seems like you have your feet wet in feminist ideology.

Edit: Not everything is aesthetic, Lev. Without the contrast of ugliness, there would be no beauty. So, of course, I find those women hideous. That’s not me being sexist or cruel; it’s me being frank and realistic. When I say " Women inspire me ", I speak in general, in reference to beautiful women.

“impossible standards?”: “This thread Deifies.”

What don’t you understand about the word sexism, or deity?
When you grow up enough to attract a real woman, then come back and tell us what you find.

I understand the word, Lev. If you think I’m stereotyping women, or something of that nature, then sure - I suppose that’s a valid take. But note that none of this emanates from malicious or sinister intentions. This is my philosophical-poetic view on women and femininity - a framework that I strongly believe to glorify women, that profoundly appreciates them.

Yes - this will cause resentment in genetically inferior women, but life isn’t fair. It is what it is.

Another sublime female singer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KdXjFDKVZA[/youtube]

This one was, extremely, poignant; I almost shed a tear…almost…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8k9f88gEbE[/youtube]

Interesting, but, I think, confusingly attributed.
I looked for a long while before I figured out my mistake.
The band is NOT Anabasis, but Anastasis is an Album by Dead Can Dance, with a track called Anabasis.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasis_(album

The Anabasis is quite a different band.

theanabasisproject.com/TheBand.aspx

Yes - the band is called " Dead Can Dance ". Recently discovered them. They are excellent; compliment my aesthetics.