Is love the answer to the world's problems? (story)

Why does this diversity need to be celebrated?

Because when people start talking about “same” it is a very specific version of “same” they talk about; ie you will become my same as I will not become your same.

Human emotion is universal and the ability to express it is virtually universal too [ not everyone can express it though ] But the emotions
that are specific to us might not necessarily be specific to others and if those emotions are incompatible then that becomes problematic

So far as the purpose of the world is concerned I do not think there is such a thing [ hence why I am a nihilist ] though it is mutually beneficial for
us as a species to live in peace with one another. Sadly humans have been at war with each other ever since the dawn of civilisation. So universal
peace is just not possible. But on an individual level one can live peacefully within ones own community. While this may not be much in the grand
scheme of things it is all one can do. As the rest is beyond our control

Is it humanly possible to love without liking?

Magnus Anderson

The feelings/the emotions which we call love, can be considered a drug because of the way in which brain chemistry acts on our bodies and minds.

There is the possibility though that love “in action” can effect a cure.
The focus in that is not on the “good feelings” or “the high” but on the good to be accomplished.
That kind of love does not always feel "good.

Love which is not discerning and which only seeks its very own purpose and not an altruistic one is what makes one weaker, not stronger ~ it also makes the other weaker.
Love which seeks to benefit others empowers and stretches the Self and the other.

Real love is NOT such an easy journey to make.

However you choose to define love, it most definitely is possible.

Romantically and sexually, you can most definitively feel those emotions without liking a person.
Altruistically, you can love a person hoping to help them by reaching out to them in a caring way without actually liking them.

There is a difference, to me, between actively caring about someone ~~~ and liking them or loving them.

Define unselfish. Define unconditional.

Love that is discerning also works towards a remedy.

Actually real love is an incredibly easy journey, whereas the not so easy part occurs when we don’t have real love.

Define love that is discerning.

I asked you first. Then I will answer you :wink:

Always? I don’t really think so O L but that’s just me. You may be romanticizing it a bit. There are pitfalls and stumbling blocks and things which occur which are capable of challenging even that. But that may be what makes it all the more gratifying after two people have weathered the storm, so to speak.

For examples of unselfish and unconditional love, see I Corinthians, chapter 13., KJV.

NO! I asked you, Ierrellus.
You were at one time an English teacher. I do believe that you can interpret those two words by your own standards
We all have different perspectives and/or interpretations where words are concerned. One size does not fit all though one size does fit many - but other sizes fit many others.

Let us not forget “the eye of the beholder”.

This is not bible class.

But if you cannot, don’t worry about it albeit I have noticed at times where you have commented here and there that you do not wish to read hyperlinks ~ where you would prefer the poster to explain what they meant.

Have you never heard the words unselfish and unconditional used to refer to love before?
You are far too much a perspectivist for any definition I might give to matter to you.
When I taught I often referred my students to classical examples in which ideas were expressed more clearly and coherently than I could express them. Paul’s chapter on love is one such example of decent definitions of what love is and is not. So, it’s in the Bible; so what. The Bible is literature.
About the hyperlinks, I only objected to posters who want you to spend hours on a podcast before you comment on their POV.
unselfish–without thinking-- what do I get out of it?
unconditional–without thinking-- do you deserve it?

I thought we were talking about the journey of love (a single emotion) and not the journey of relationships (many complex emotions mixed together).

Only at the right time in the right place. Since some preconditions must be fulfilled for being "the answer to the world’s problems“.

If such preconditions were not necessary, then “the answer to the world’s problems” would already have been practicing for so long.

But such preconditions host some other problems, which have to do with the conditio humana (human condition) itself.

So I can guarantee you that being "the answer to the world’s problems“ is not an easy job but more a Sisyphean task (which does not mean that it is impossible). If your "stone“ called "love“ is on the "top of the hill“ called "The-answer-to-the-world’s-problems“, then you are successful until your love is going to run down that hill.

Ierrellus

Yes, I often have. But people tend to have different perceptions of what “unselfish” means.
There are those, for instance, with a “slave or masochistic” mentality" who might consider unselfish differently than you or I would.
There are also those who might see someone as being “selfish” who simply wishes to take care of their self in the right way and who marches to a different drummer.
“Selfish” and “unselfish” have different tones and shades to them.

Sometimes the concept or perception of ‘unconditional’ can lead to great harm. I’m not so sure that we must love unconditionally.
Perceptions/perspectives need to be investigated, looked at, don’t you think?

Most of them matter to me but wouldn’t you say that some are more valid and reasonable than others?
I also find that you (universally speaking) can get closer to the truth by seeing what something "isn’t - not just what it is. Why hold to just one viewpoint? Unless you’ve exhausted it and find that it is the only worthwhile one. But that is usually not the case, is it?

I will grant you that Paul’s passage in Corinthians is a good example of what “real” love is or could be and also what unconditional love can be.
Did you also point out where Abraham was about to massacre Isaac? Maybe he actually did.
Did you also point out “Romeo and Juliet” to them as examples? I certain hope not. :mrgreen:

Did you just scribble that on the back of your hand?

Arc and Ier, I find it fascinating that (considering a combined amount of 24 thousand posts) that you are still trying to come to a common agreement of what love is.

The problem may be that the word love is bloated with various meanings , making it difficult to find a one size fits all.
I can say I love my son, I love my cat or I love my guitar.
So what can you say about the type of love said to be the answer to the world’s problems?

Arc,
I dislike the story of Abraham, even after reading Kierkegaard’s take on the subject. For me it’s inhuman to ask a father to sacrifice his only son, even though Christian dogma claims God did just that. It reminds me of the line in The Lord’s Prayer–“Lead us not into temptation”, which has been translated as “Leave us not in temptation” or “Do not put us to the test.” Abraham was put to the test. The test was, for me, too much to ask of any human.
As for “Romeo and Juliet”–this is a story of two adolescents, hence what they called love for each other was probably sexual heat. So you are right in claiming these are not good examples for describing a love that could be the remedy for “the world’s ills.”
So, how do you see love as involved in discernment?