Paul's Great Ad Hom

Anon,
If you really believe that, then someone should email Richard Dawkins that if he but only augments his argument to address Paul’s illogical arguments, then the world will be free of a large portion of god believers in one swooping motion.

Felix,
I’m not dictating what peoples motives are in their cognition. What I’m discussing is the systemic measure by which spirituality and the compelling draw towards religion is in humanity.
One thing is rather certain at this point in time: it isn’t rational logic that brings people to their divinities.
People aren’t markedly praying and singing hymns with emotional devotion as a function of logical resolution.

James,
While not directly the tangent, I would personally class that as no different than TPT or Turtle’s redefinition of, “God”.
I can extract “God” into many things; many do.
Extracting to the conceptual force of product doesn’t equate to “God”; a sentient being.
When I state that I do not believe in a god, it is a pretty simple stance. Gods are defined by personal motive of being sentient super-beings which have controlling power over universal forces of nature.
I don’t, either, consider the conceptual force of product, “God”.
I consider it the conceptual force of product.

Omar,
More or less, that’s a kin of the concept I’m going at.
We can argue gods logically all we want; religious adherence is not going to drop markedly below 80% as a result, nor will the ~70% Christian adherence shift much worth noting as a result of any logical points made.

All,
I think if 6.3 million people are willing to believe Joseph Smith was a neo-Pauline incarnation (figuratively speaking) and that a band of Hebrew peoples navigated to South America and founded a new Eden, completely flying in the face of all archaeological and anthropological findings, then I don’t think logic is our basis of leverage - keeping in mind that this isn’t even as personally rooted as believing in a god. As such, I strongly have doubts that the emotional connection people have to their divinities will be so easily subjected to rational logic of pointing out the illogical prose of Paul.

And finally: Paul wasn’t writing for rational logic.
He will, therefore, suck at logical arguments.
He was making a socio-emotional plea; ergo the earlier comparison to Churchill (who’s words neither would hold to rational logic).

Paul can be considered the spirit builder of Christianity; nearly being exclusively interested in defining what the nature of the spiritual connection to Jesus and their god is for the follower, and how that in turn creates a spiritual bond within the community.

His takes on these matters have been a large and consistent resonant stay in Christian culture over time.
But these are not logical arguments properly. People are not compelled to them because they proofed them and found no logical fault, and therefore found reason to believe in this god.

It tends to work the other way around in religion; there is a sense first, and emotional existence and desire. Following that, rational justifications begin to formulate around cohesion with this emotional stance.
This is one of the reasons many of science strongly dislike theological discourses; because theology works pretty much opposite of the (expected) scientific approach.

And lastly on logic and religion; the phrase is not, “Have you reasoned god?”
The phrase is, “Have you found god?”
(the same phrase exists for Jesus as well)

If someone has found their god; you will be rather hard pressed to reason them out of it.
And that’s because finding is done by arriving on a concept of a god which satisfies some form of emotional rest or satisfaction in the individual.

An example: the down and trodden do not turn to believing in a god because there was a proper logical argument presented by an advocate. Instead, they are “rescued” in their “soul” by a compelling plea of hope and sympathy. They find hope renewed and are from that point partially dependent on this facet as part of their new formed self identity emotionally.

If rational logic were the primary motive of religious belief, then it would not be isolated from rational logic in the secular view in society.

If rational logic were the primary motive of religious belief, then Paul would be relatively correct; if religious belief were rationally logical as the primary motive, then there would be no reason for such grand dismissal by secularist academia of religious integration aside from the postulation that secularist academia was avoiding truth through negligence.

However, secularist academia, instead, dismisses religious integration for a simple reason: religious belief is not a rationally logical pursuit.
(those terms are being used in the academic categorical sense; not in common tongue phrase that would otherwise imply that I thought religious belief was a retardant to intelligence.)

Oh I’m sure you do. Many people do. But many people understand rather than merely believe (“Eyes to see. Ears to hear”).
Consider that it is the notion that God is “a sentient being” that is the “redefinition” allowed to occur very long ago (anthropomorphism).
Realize that what you and so very many think is required to constitute “sentience”, is perhaps naive and all too arrogantly human.
Also, I’m not certain exactly what you mean by “force of product”. Any notion of God includes the force/cause behind the happening.

Why am I not surprised :question:

Paul presented arguments that can be analyzed in terms of their validity

According to whom?

If God is the result of projection, how were Newton and Einstein able to perceive reality incisively and simultaneously perceive God.

So one can’t have faith and be logical too? How did Friar Mendel keep his faith and discover genetics?

Both.“Half full” and “half empty” are synonymous. It’s a false dilemma.

All I’m saying is that I don’t A) revere that concept (not saying it’s bad for people to revere it though), nor B) really see any reason to confuse common lingo from the social normality of the conventional understanding of that title.

Or, to say it another way, if I were to call it, “God”, by title…it would have no effect for me personally than if I did not, aside from creating a confusion during conversation with others that believe in gods.

As always, if it works for you, rock it!
shrug I just have no real need to call that, “God”.

“Force of product” - what you referred to as, “the ongoing cause of all that is”.

Is that a sentence? I don’t understand what you mean.

You think that is certain? People have testified that their faith was based on reasoning. Like Spinoza, and Newton and Einstein and many others. Are you saying that they were lying or that you know their minds better than they did?

So its impossible for a person to choose to sing or pray based on reason :question: So an addict couldn’t use induction to observe that the principles of AA have helped people recover from addiction and therefore pray to a higher power for strength :question:

Oh, I largely agree.
Likewise there is no real need to explain to the cat that the Earth isn’t flat.

Yes.
Let me replace “is” with “exists”
What I’m discussing is the systemic measure by which spirituality and the compelling draw towards religion exists in humanity.

I never said people don’t have reasoning regarding their religious beliefs.
I said that such is largely post-emotional.

Aside from that, I also mentioned several times that I’m referring to the mass majority; not the select few, as there are very few absolutes.

They could, sure.
Haven’t met, read of, heard of, or otherwise encountered one yet that has.

If you want to stand firm that people are purely logical in their choice of religion; knock yourself out and enjoy trying to convince people that their beliefs in their religions are logically invalid (though, that’s not a real big secret).
Seems like it’s worked out well for Dawkins so far.

I never claimed otherwise. I claimed that his fear poisoned Christ’s teachings.

No doubt. Fear breeds fear.

Your OP clearly presented Paul’s attitude. I’m just asking that his words be interpreted honestly. I mostly agree with what you’re getting at there. I think his words are “ad-hommish”.

Again you are posing a false dilemma. I never suggested that religion was an entirely logical enterprise. Now you are trying to make it that that is my position. Your simply setting up a straw man to knock down.

That’s an odd argument, I think. If you take the entire Bible as literally the words of God, then it doesn’t matter which came first. They shouldn’t even print Christ’s statements in red, since Paul’s words are just as “holy”. And if, like me, you think the idea of any of it being literally the words of God is nonsense, then you must judge for yourself which parts are valuable to you and which parts aren’t. I find Christ’s words valuable and Paul’s much less so. Is this what you mean by me not being objective? Again, an odd argument.

Paul didn’t make logical arguments. He used a passive form of coercion, to play into people’s fears. Dawkins uses a similar form of coercion in his own religious politics.

You may not realize this, but I have no problem with healthy versions of theism or Christianity. In fact, I think they are far superior to unhealthy versions of atheism.

anon – What’s you’re evidence for that conclusion that Paul’s message was based on fear? I know there is fear in a lot off gospel preaching today and they appropriate Paul’s words to support their message. Paul’s gospel was about the death and resurrection of Christ not about Jesus’ teachings. That was a significant change. Whether it was poison, I don’t know. How did you arrive at that?

Well here’s what you yourself quoted:

Extreme us versus them thinking, radical punishments for minor moral offenses, false accusations, “God gave them up”… It seems perfectly clear to me. This is not a message of love and compassion, or even of the need to have societal rules to protect the ability to practice. It’s about the opinion that there is good and evil in the world and if you choose the wrong side you will go to hell and burn forever (or at least “deserve to die” and won’t live forever in eternal bliss). He is instilling fear. And throughout the ages, people have responded in kind. Fundamentalist Christianity is based on fear.

— Paul presented arguments that can be analyzed in terms of their validity
O- Only to a point because one of his premises is the mystery and incomprehensibility of God.

— According to whom?
O- Really? You doubt this?

— If God is the result of projection, how were Newton and Einstein able to perceive reality incisively and simultaneously perceive God.
O- Notice that for them God is pretty void of personality like a mathematical necessity. The idea is that if all you have is a hammer the everything will look to you like a nail. The situation of the observer will partially determine the impression.

— So one can’t have faith and be logical too? How did Friar Mendel keep his faith and discover genetics?
O- Did the good friar say that the Trinity was logical or that mysteries are logical? Just because God’s creation is subject to lawful or logical explanations this does not mean that God is. Science is a tool for many Christians but they do not mix and were not intended to according to tradition. Further it was secondary in nature because it was not essential for salvation. Other than this, under these disclaimers the friar was free to pursue the secrets of nature.

— Both.“Half full” and “half empty” are synonymous. It’s a false dilemma.
O- not within a person. It is used to classify people as either optimists or pessimists. Who you are as a person will have an effect on how you see reality.

All inspired by God but interpreted through Paul. Makes sense since it is by his interpretations about the death of Jesus that we even can talk about Christianity. It is by Paul that we get the Christian interpretation of the word of god.
Without Paul orthodoxy would not exist, not even a discernible target for your criticism.

Without Paul, Pauline Christianity wouldn’t exist. I’m not really sure what you’re saying.

That there is no distinction, no actual evidence that there is some Pauline Christianity instead of just Christianity period. What Christianity is about is in Paul. He forms the majority of the NT and predates most of the gospels. To reference to other authorities is to appeal to what was not yet Christianity and may never have become Christianity.
The other thing is that Jesus brings up the issue of Hell as much as Paul that it Jesus that pushes forth the idea of a vengeful god, just the type you would disapprove of.

I’m not a Christian. I like Christ better than Paul. As in, I like the little red words in the Bible better than the little black words.

Christianity could mean following the recorded teachings of Christ, and interpreting those teachings without undue emphasis on conventional associated sources.

What was the point of bringing the subject of the thread up, Felix?

Bull.

Haha… I remember thinking that same thing…long, long ago.

yeah but then people would have to pay attention to accuracy.
Where’s the sadistic fun in that.