philosophy in film

The Muscles From Brussels.

Since I had never seen a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie, I was certainly curious about this one. At Rotten Tomatoes, most of his past action flicks averaged about a 15% fresh rating. One was 5% and three of them were 0%. But this one had an 83% fresh rating on 102 reviews. In other words, huh?

This is a very strange movie to say the least. For example, part of it details the personal travail JCVD is going through at the time – the taxman is hounding him, the ex-wife wants to take his kid away, his agent may be ripping him off; and part of it is a crime drama. Another part is your standard action-adventure fare. You watch it all unfold and you are constantly wondering: did this stuff actually happen? After all, I didn’t know anything about the man.

At wiki, it’s described as a “semi-fictionalized” account of him. But how does that help?

But the guy’s performance here is really fascinating. It’s a marvel to watch.

The plot: JCVD goes to the post office in his hometown of Brussels to retrieve money. While he is in there the place is held up. And the cops think that he is in on it. That he is in fact the mastermind behind the robbery. Instead, he is in there trying to keep things from spiraling out of control…trying to keep folks from getting killed.

Meanwhile, outside the PO, it’s like Dog Day Afternoon.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JCVD_(film
trailer: youtu.be/4z_6UfkQ-c0

JCVD [2008]
Directed by Mabrouk El Mechri

[b]Police officier: Central to Unit 27. Jean-Claude Van Damme’s robbing a post office. I need back-up.

Lawyer: Gloria, would you rather live with your mommy or with your daddy?
Gloria: I don’t wanna live with Dad.
Lawyer: Why, Gloria?
Gloria: Every time my dad is on a TV Show, my friends make fun of me.
Lawyer: But you love your daddy?
Gloria: Yes.
Lawyer: But you would rather stay with your mom.
Gloria: I just want them to stop making fun of me.

Van Damme: He’s in shock. He’s still in shock. Once in the film “Hard Target”, I took a shot from a blank. It took salts to revive me.
Arthur [one of the bank robbers]: “Hard Target”! John Woo!

Arthur: Got any new projects?
Van Damme: Not for now.
Arthur: I saw a thing on the web, what’s it called? Purple…
Van Damme: “Purple Amulet”. Steven Seagal got the part.
Arthur: What?! He got the part. Steven Seagal?! You’re ten times better!
Van Damme: Well, he cut off his couette.
Arthur: His what?
Van Damme: His couette. His ponytail. For the first time.
Arthur: Oh, I see…That’s a tough one…

Van Damme: Well, they could come naked. In hostage movies, the bad guys ask the good guys to come in naked, so they know they’re clean.
Bank robber: How about naked?
Bank robber leader: Fine, tell them.

The crowd outside the PO: JEAN-CLAUDE! JEAN-CLAUDE! JEAN-CLAUDE! JEAN-CLAUDE!

The strange monologue…as though he were yanked up out of the movie itself.

J.C.V.D.: This movie is for me. There we are, you and me. Why did you do that? Or why did I do that? You made my dream come true. I asked for it. I promised you something in return and I haven’t delivered yet. You win, I lose. Unless…the path you’ve set for me is full of hurdles where the answer comes before the question. Yeah I do that. Now I know why. It’s the cure, from what I’ve seen here. It all makes sense. It makes sense to those who understand. So… America, poverty, stealing to eat…stalking producers, actors, ‘movie stars’, going to clubs hoping to see a star, with my pictures, karate magazines. It’s all I had. I didn’t speak English. But I did 20 years of karate. ‘Cause before I wasn’t like that.
[points to flexed bicep]
This…this is me today. I used to be small and scrawny. And I took up karate. Hence the Dojo, hence respect, thou shall believe people who say, “Oss!” It’s Samurai code. It’s honour, no lies. So this guy in the US, it’s not the same thing. No one says “Oss” to you. Sometimes people in show business say, "We’re gonna’ fuck em’". I believed in people, in the Dojo. I was blessed and had a lot of ‘wives’. I always believed in love. It’s hard for a woman with three kids to say, “Which one do I love more?” A mother… If you have 5, 6, 7, or 10 wives in a lifetime, they’ve all got something special, but no one cares about that in the so-called media. What about drugs? When you got it all, you travel the world. When you’ve been in all the hotels, you’re the prima donna of the penthouse. And in all hotels the world over, traveling, you want something more. And because of a woman…well, because of love, I tried something and I got hooked. Van-Damme, the beast, the tiger in a cage, the “Bloodsport” man got hooked. I was wasted mentally and physically. To the point that I got out of it. I got out of it. But…it’s all there. It’s all there. It was really tough. I saw people worse off than me. I went from poor to rich and thought, why aren’t we all like me, why all the privileges? I’m just a regular guy. It makes me sick to see people…who don’t have what I’ve got. Knowing that they have qualities, too. Much more than I do! It’s not my fault if I was cut out to be a star. I asked for it. I asked for it, really believed in it. When you’re 13, you believe in your dream. Well it came true for me. But I still ask myself today what I’ve done on this Earth. Nothing! I’ve done nothing! And I might just die in this post office, hoping to start all over here in Belgium, in my country, where my roots are. Start all over with my parents and get my health back, pick up again. So I really hope… nobody’s gonna’ pull a trigger in this post office…It’s so stupid to kill people. They’re so beautiful! So, today, I pray to God. I truly believe it’s not a movie. It’s real life. Real life. I’ve seen so many things. I was born in Belgium, but I’m a citizen of the world. I’ve travelled a lot. It’s hard for me to judge people and it’s hard for them…not to judge me. Easier to blame me. Yeah, something like that.

I’ve always thought of Woody Allen as an ironist. In film after film he will have characters voicing opinions that pretty much reflect his own. But then he will have other characters effectively criticizing them with counter arguments that can be said to be equally reasonable.

But in this film, above all others, ironism seems to reign supreme. He often has characters here deconstructing [even lampooning] the character that everyone seems to associate with him.

And irony of ironies is that this film came out at the same time the Soon-yi Previn/child molestation scandal exploded. A pummeling [from both sides] that continues to this day. Irony in “real life” as it were.

Sex, love and the upper middle class. There really does not seem to be any way in which to get them right. And particular not in the world we live in today. There are just too many different combinations [sets] of circumstances that can throw any particular frame of mind for a loop. Mostly we see that perennial tug of war in which ambivalence prevails. They want something new but they don’t really want to completely give up what is old. Obviously, some couples fare better here than others. Or else it’s A loves B and B loves C. And D. And then E comes along and everything gets all the more convoluted still. Some of them are married, some of them are not.

The bottom line seems to be that in love and marriage…whatever works. And, regarding this, one size does not even come remotely close to fitting all.

This film garnered a 100% fresh rating at RT on 36 reviews. Not many film with over 30 reviews get that: rottentomatoes.com/m/1040798 … and_wives/

IMDb

[b]Contrary to general perception, Mia Farrow’s role is not autobiographical. Indeed, Woody Allen originally wrote the Judy Davis part with the idea of Farrow playing it. Farrow chose to take on the role of the cuckolded wife instead as it meant less shooting time for her.

Hoping to piggyback on the scandal surrounding Woody Allen’s break-up with Mia Farrow, TriStar opened the film on 865 screens, the largest amount ever given over to a Woody Allen picture. They were rewarded with an opening weekend of $3.52 million, the biggest ever for an Allen film.[/b]

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husbands_and_Wives
trailer: youtu.be/EyXde67_JaM

HUSBANDS AND WIVES [1992]
Written and directed by Woody Allen

[b]TV Scientist: Einstein was then celebrating, uh, the seventieth birthday anniversary and there was a colloquium given for him. And he said, “God doesn’t play dice with the universe”.
Gabe: No. He just plays hide-and-seek.

Judy: You lose patience if the student isn’t Dostoyevsky.
Gabe: No, that isn’t true. That’s crazy. It’s worth it when you get a gifted pupil. A young girl in my class just wrote a great story: “Oral Sex in the Age of Deconstruction.”

Judy: Do you ever hide things from me?
Gabe: Me? What kind of things?
Judy: I don’t know. Feelings, you know. Longings. Complaints.
Gabe: No. Do you?
Judy: No. [/b]

Again, remember when this film came out.

[b]Gabe: It’s cruel to bring life into this terrible world.
Judy: Oh, please. Don’t glorify your refusal on philosophical grounds.

Gabe: Okay, but put your diaphragm on.
[she leaves the room to get it]
Gabe [thinking about it]: You’d never say you were putting your diaphragm on and then not do it, right?
Judy: What? What a thing to say! That’s a terrible thing to say. You really trust no one. No wonder people accuse you of cynicism.

Sally: What are we seeing?
Paul: Don Giovanni.
Sally: A Don Juan story.
Paul: I can only think of it as Mozart.
Sally: Fucking Don Juans. They should have cut his fucking dick off.

Sally [to Paul]: What are you upset about? Fucking men! A woman gets to this age, it’s a different ball game. It’s great till you start to show your age, then they want a newer model.

Sally: Gail came to his office the year before. I’d met her several times. Look, what can I say? She’s cultivated, intelligent. It’s what he likes. She’s me, but she’s younger.

Gabe [to interviewer]: One time, many years ago I was living with this fabulous, interesting woman named Harriet Harmon. I’m ashamed to say this, but Harriet Harmon was the great love of my life. It was a very passionate relationship. I loved her very intensely. And, you know, we just made love everywhere. She was sexually carnivorous. We did it in stalled elevators…and in bushes and people’s houses, at parties in the bathroom…She got into dope for a while. She’d break that thing that you sniff when she’d have her orgasm. I was getting a real education. I was fascinated. I was absolutely nuts about her. And ultimately she wound up in an institution. I mean, it’s not funny, it was a very sad thing. She was great, but nuts. See, I’ve always had this penchant for what I call “kamikaze women.” I call them kamikazes because they crash their plane. They’re self-destructive. But they crash it into you, and you die with them.

Jack: I love Sally. But what’s wrong with aerobics? What am l? A snob?
Gabe: What’s it got to do with aerobics?
Jack: Big deal. So she’s not Simone de Beauvoir. I want somebody who screams when I fuck her.
Gabe: She’s a fucking cocktail waitress.

Sally [to Michael]: I did my college thesis on Bauhaus architecture. It was called “Function and Fascism.”

Gabe [to Rain]: I thought your line was great. “Life doesn’t imitate art, it imitates bad telvision.”

Rain: I spent five days searching for the perfect word to describe the husband and that’s when I came up with “apucious”.
Gabe: Apucious. I looked it up in the dictionary but I couldn’t find it.
Rain: Yeah, I know. I made it up.
Gabe: Oh, really.
Rain: Yeah. I thought it described him perfectly.

Interviewer: How are things going with Sam?
Jack: Great. Absolutely great. Saturday, we got up. We had a run down by the river. It was a beautiful day. It was terrific. I’m down to a good weight. I’m exercising. It feels incredible to get in shape. I eat great. Salads, no meat. Never touch meat. Later in the day, we rented some kind of a video. Some sort of dopey, funny, stupid little thing. Something Sally wouldn’t have allowed. I laughed like hell. I had a terrific time and I didn’t have to feel guilty about it. Like I said, she’s not Simone de Beauvoir. We argue sometimes.
[cut to Jack and Sam walking down the street]
Jack: Trust me. It’s King Lear. Shakespeare never wrote about a King Leo.
Sam: Well, Mr. Intellectual. Shakespeare wrote in English, not Japanese.

Sally [to Michael]: My marriage, I told you, was dead. For years. It’s the Second Law of Thermodynamics: sooner or later everything turns to shit. That’s my phrasing, not the Encyclopedia Britannica.

Rain: So I cleaned up my act and I’ve been dating Carl. As you can see, Richard is so unstable. He really took it badly.
Gabe: God! You’ve got material for your first novel and the sequel…and an opera by Puccini here! This is incredible.
Rain: Yes, but don’t you think I’m right? I mean, Carl, he’s fun. What the hell am I doing with the midlife crisis set? They’re all wonderful, rather accomplished men. In the end, I felt like I was a symbol of lost youth…or unfulfilled dreams.

Man at party: If astrology were true, twins would have the same fate.
Sam: It is true! It is totally, totally, totally provable, you know?
Female Party Guest: Provable how? From gypsies?
Sam: Well, it’s totally logical, right? You know, why wouldn’t the position of the planets have an influence on our personalities?
Female Party Guest: You know who believes this stuff? My babysitter.
Sam: They know. They know there is more crime during the full moon. It’s like the universe knows this stuff. You guys are all so smart but you just don’t get the fundamental basics of…
Female Party Guest: You should meet my babysitter. She doesn’t know anyone in New York…
Sam: Because the position of the planets is crucial to your life. I can’t stress this enough. And your body…
Female Party Guest: Be logical.
Sam: But I’m totally logical. I would not put a Sagittarius…
Jack: Sam, we gotta go. Come on.

Jack: This bullshit astrology. It’s stupid.
Sam: It’s not stupid.
Jack: I’m sick of listening to your crap about soybeans and Zen foods. They’re having an intellectual conversation in there, and you’re jerking off about tofu.

Sally [to interviewer]: I thought that I liked what Michael was doing to me, and it felt different from Jack; more gentle. And more exciting. And I thought how different Michael was from Jack. How much deeper his vision of life was. And I thought Michael was a hedgehog and Jack was a fox. And then I thought Judy was a fox and Gabe was a hedgehog. And I thought about all the people I knew, and which were hedgehogs and which were foxes. Al Simon, a friend, was a hedgehog, and his wife Jenny was a hedgehog. And Cindy Salkind was a fox. And Lou Patrino was a hedgehog.[/b]

Don’t ask.

[b]Rain reads from Gabe’s new book: “The heart raged, grew melancholy and confused…and toward what end? To articulate what nitwit strategy? Procreation? It told him something. How millions of sperm competed for a single egg, not the other way around. Men would make love with any number of women…even total strangers, while females were more selective. They were catering to the demands of one small egg. While males had millions of frantic sperms screaming wildly: ‘Let us out, let us out now!’…Feldman longed to meet an attractive woman with this personality: A sense of humour equal to his…a love of music equal to his with a particular love of Bach and balmy climates. In short, himself as a pretty woman.”

Rain reads from Gabe’s new book: “What happened after the honeymoon? Did desire grow or did familiarity make partners long for other lovers? Was the notion of ever-deepening romance a myth along with simultaneous orgasm? The only time Rifkin and his wife experienced a simultaneous orgasm was when the judge granted their divorce. Maybe in the end, the idea was not to expect too much out of life.”

Rain: I just think that maybe I…I could’ve been threatened by certain things in the book.
Gabe: Like what…?
Rain: Um, some of the attitudes towards women and your ideas on life.
Gabe: You told me you love the book.
Rain: I do. I do love it, yeah.
Gabe: What were your criticisms?
Rain: Um, nothing.
Gabe: No, tell me. Tell me what your criticisms were.
Rain: I was a little disappointed, I guess, with, ah, with some of your attitudes.
Gabe: Like what? What attitudes?
[Rain sighs]
Gabe: With what?
Rain: The way your people just casually have affairs like that, that’s…
Gabe: Well, the book doesn’t condone affairs. You know, I’m exaggerating for comic purposes.
Rain: Yeah, I mean but are our choices really between chronic dissatisfaction and suburban drudgery?
Gabe: No, but, you know, that’s how I…I’m deliberately distorting it, you know, 'cause I’m trying to show how hard it is to be married and…
Rain: Well, you have to be careful not to trivialize with things like that.
Gabe: Well, Jesus, I…I hope I haven’t.
Rain: Well, the way your… your lead character views women, it’s so retrograde. It’s so shallow, you know?
Gabe: What are you talking…You told me you…you know, that… you told me it was a great book.
Rain: Yeah, it’s wonderful. And I never said great. I said it’s brilliant, and it’s alive, and… You know, that’s not what I’m…We’re not arguing about whether it’s brilliant or not. I’m, you know… Triumph of the Will was a great movie, but you despise the ideas behind it.
Gabe: What…what are you saying, now? You despise my ideas?
Rain: No, I don’t despise them. All right, that… that example was wrong.
[pause]
Rain: OK, isn’t it beneath you as a mature thinker, I mean, to allow your lead character to waste so much of this emotional energy obsessing over this psychotic relationship with a woman that you fantasize as powerfully sexual and inspired when, in fact, she was pitifully sick?
Gabe: Look, let’s stop this right now because I don’t need a lecture on maturity or writing from a 20-year-old twit.

Gabe: Boy, I’d hate to be your boyfriend! He must go through hell.
Rain: Well, I’m worth it.

Jack [now back together with sally having dinner with Gabe and Judy]: You can’t just wipe out years of closeness. You think you can. But the roots are there.
Sally: I think some people are just not meant to be single.
Jack: Everybody screws up. The question is…do you learn from it?
Sally: I think the true test is how you weather a crisis.
Jack: Everyone looks great when everything’s going smoothly. It’s great. If you can be that mature, it’s great. You just start thinking about priorities.
Sally: How long can you discuss physical fitness and the zodiac?

Judy: That’s the way I felt then. People change. I’m not the same person I was.
Gabe: That’s why relationships go sour.
Judy: Yeah, you hate change.
Gabe: Change equals death!
Judy: What kind of bullshit? That’s just a bullshit line! Maybe you fool your twenty-year-old students into thinking that’s some kind of a, an insight or something, but it means nothing! Change is what life is made of! Change…if you don’t change, you don’t grow, you just shrivel up!

Judy [to Gabe]: You use sex to express every emotion except love.

Gabe: I saw myself sleepwalking into a mess.
Interviewer: Then why didn’t you stop yourself?
Gabe: There was something in my marriage that I was not getting. Rain. There was excitement there.
Interviewer: Rain had a boyfriend.
Gabe: I know. Everything about it was wrong. That did not deter me. If anything, as usual, there was something interesting.
Interviewer: So, what is it? You have a self-destructive streak?
Gabe: I don’t know. My heart…does not know from logic.

Sally: [to interviewer]: I’ve learned, anyway, that love is…not about passion and romance necessarily. It’s also about companionship and…it’s like a buffer against loneliness, I think.
Jack: That stuff is really important. Somebody to grow old with. What kills most people is unreal expectations.
Interviewer: What about things that can’t be talked about? Like sexual problems, for instance.
Sally: Unresolved.
Interviewer: Unresolved?
Sally: Well, there’s some things you can’t solve and then…you have to live with it. You construct some kind of patchwork thing. But sometimes they flare up.
Jack: They do, and when it happens…it gets tough when that happens.
Sally: You learn to deal with it and then push it back down.
Jack: And it works. That’s the weird thing. It’s not bad.
Sally: You can’t force yourself to conform to some abstract vision of love, or, you know, marriage. Every situation’s different.
Jack: Whatever works is the deal. Ours is just one way.[/b]

This was the final film from Adrienne Shelly. On November 1, 2006, she was found dead in her work studio. She had been murdered. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrienne_Shelly#Death

For some folks, being a waitress is living a life that is fucked up enough. But when you are a waitress weighted down with all manner of sad disappointments and problems, well, that is practically unthinkable.

On the other hand, if you are waitress that is still reasonably young and beatiful there may still be, say, options? Or more options than if you are not.

Marriages seem to fall apart either because lots of things change or nothing at all does. This one is more latter. Made all the more unstable though when it becomes the former. In other words, both.

And Earl. He’s an asshole. But the worst kind. The kind that doesn’t even know know he is one. And even were he able to admit that sometimes he is an asshole it would only be because Jenna makes him that way.

How the hell do marriages like this ever even get started?! And then I remember my own.

Also, Earl is not very keen on irony. Jenna can tell him almost anything [and in any tone of voice] and he basically takes it literally.

Look for the role that money plays in the lives of those who barely scrape by. And how through the magic of scripting that can all be made to just go away.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waitress_(film
trailer: youtu.be/0cQ0WwcKCLk

WAITRESS [2007]
Written and directed by Adrienne Shelly

[b]Jenna [after the pregnancy test]: Why did I get drunk? I do stupid things when I’m drunk… like sleep with my husband!

Jenna: I’m thinking I want to borrow some money from you.
Earl: And my answer to that, of course, is no.
Jenna: There’s a big pie Bake-Off in Jonesville in a couple months. And I’d like to go.
Earl: And my answer to that, of course, is no.
Jenna: Prize money is pretty good.
Earl: Why do you need money? I give you everything you need, don’t I?
Jenna: Absolutely.
Earl: You want for nothing, don’t you?
Jenna: Yes, Earl, I want for nothing.
Earl: I mean, your pies ain’t bad. But what’s so important about that when you got me to take care of?
Jenna: That’s a good point, Earl.[/b]

Get the picture?

[b]Doctor Pomatter [Jim]: So… What seems to be the problem?
Jenna: Well, I seem to be pregnant.
Jim: Good. Good for you. Congratulations!
Jenna: Thanks, but I don’t want this baby.
Jim: Oh, well, we don’t perform… uh…
Jenna: No, I’m keeping it, I’m just telling you I’m not so happy about it, like everybody else might be. So maybe you can be sensitive and not congratulate me and make a big deal every time you see me. I’m having the baby, and that’s that. It’s not a party, though.
Jim: Got it, okay, not a party.

Jim: Well, un-congratulations…you’re definitely having a baby.
Jenna: Un-thank you.

Old Joe: Are you with child?
Jenna: Shush!
Old Joe: I seen that look on a woman’s face before. Her name was Annette. I made sweet love to her all through the summer of 1948, and she had that sick look on her face all through the fall.

Becky [to Dawn]: You have fun on your five-minute date, Hon. And use a five-minute condom.

Dawn: It was the worst five minutes in my life. I made the mistake of telling him I work here. How could a five-minute date be that bad? He took me through the entire medical and psychiatric history of his family. And he told me he wants to marry me. Marry me! And he’s not giving up, not ever giving up, that’s what he said. First guy that pays any attention to me in years, and he turns out to be the mad stalking elf. What am I supposed to do?
Jenna: You go over there and you tell him you’re not interested.
Dawn: I told him that last night.
Jenna: Tell him better.
Dawn: Come with me.
Jenna: I can’t. I’ve got to go throw up.

Old Joe [after reading an advice column about a woman contemplating suicide]: Oh how I love living vicariously through the pain and suffering of others.

Jenna: It seems I’m almost five months pregnant.
Cal: Yeah, so?
Jenna: So I just thought I should tell you.
Cal: I already knew.
Jenna: You did?
Cal: Yeah, I thought everybody knew.
Jenna: Oh, who told you?
Cal: Nobody told me. Nobody needed to tell me. I mean, look at you! Truth be told, as long as you can carry a tray and fill a pie tin I don’t care if you give birth while doing it.

Becky [after Jenna catches her with Cal]: I didn’t plan it, Jenna. It just happened.
Jenna: Your poor husband.
Becky: My poor husband wears a diaper, curses constantly and sleeps in a separate room.
Jenna: So why don’t you just divorce him then?
Becky: I can’t just leave a sick, crazy, old man. What kind of person would do that?
Jenna: I don’t know. What kind of person has an affair with Cal, who’s married to Ethel, who we see all the time?
Becky: He says she’s awful. Maybe anyone you stay married to for 15 years starts to seem awful.
Jenna: But we know Ethel. She’s not awful. She tells Cal not to yell at us.
Becky: Hey, you’re supposed to be my friend, not Ethel’s.
Jenna: Having an affair is a terrible thing to do. It destroys people’s lives, and I don’t want you messed up with all that. [/b]

That’s when the married man she is having an affair comes into the diner.

[b]Jenna: Cal, are you happy? I mean, when you call yourself a happy man, do you really mean it?
Cal: You ask a serious question, I’ll give you a serious answer: Happy enough. I don’t expect much. I don’t get much, I don’t give much. I generally enjoy whatever comes along. That’s my true answer, summed up for your feminine judgment. I’m happy enough.

Jenna [voiceover]: Dear baby. Somewhere in the space between the pie baking and Earl eating it later that night, began the most intimate conversation of my life. About my mama, about how much she loved me, how sad she’d be to see my life turned out like this. About Earl and how he changed after we married, became someone I feared. About how lonely it is to be a woman so poor and so afraid. And then I was addicted, baby. I was addicted to saying things and having them matter to someone.

Old Joe [to Jenna]: You wasn’t exaggerating. Your husband is terrible.

Jenna [voiceover]: Dear damn baby, If you ever want to know the story of how we bought your damn crib, I will tell you. Your crib was bought with the money that was supposed to buy me a new life. Every time I lay you down in that damn crib, I’m going to think, “Damn baby, damn crib. Me stuck like a pin in this damn life.”

Jenna [just before giving birth]: Dr. Pomatter?
Jim: Yes, Jenna?
Jenna: I just want to make sure we’re clear about one thing.
Jim: What’s that, Jenna?
Jenna: I want drugs. I want massive amounts of drugs. I want the maximum legal limit of drugs.
Jim: Noted and understood.[/b]

Dude?

do i feel like a slug 2 u:

AMBIG!!!

(ambig…

(brother…

I:

u

:us

(and because of this: there is hope for us…

We enigmatic

…enigmatic

control

We enigmatic

…enigmatic

control

Now that cable television channels like Discovery, Nat Geo, The History channel etc. have joined the vast wasteland that is “reality programming”, it was inevitable that some of the programs would get around to the making of moonshine. I haven’t watched any of them myself but from what I have read, what goes on up in the mountains today reflects much the way thing that has always been done.

Well, sort of. Just as, sort of, this film is based on a true story.

But one thing was clearly different. Back in the days of Lawless there was this thing called Prohibition. And once you make something that millions of folks want illegal, there is a much bigger incentive for folks to go outside the law to fill that demand. And that means there are millions to be made. And that means organized crime. And that means lots and lots of violence.

This is yet another tale of how the “amateurs” who resort to crime [many just to keep their families afloat…at least at first] come to bump into the “professionals”. And how they either do or do not come to an…accommodation. And of course how the corrupt cops and politicians come to accommodate themselves too.

It’s a man’s world. Testosterone reigns.

IMDb

[b]Actor Shia LaBeouf drank moonshine in order to gain as authentic an appearance as possible. By his own admission his drinking and over-aggressive attitude caused co-star Mia Wasikowska to try and leave the film.

The movie is based on actual events, as explained in the 2008 book “The Wettest County in the World” written by Matt Bondurant, grandson of Jack Bondurant (Shia LaBeouf’s character in the film).[/b]

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawless_(film
trailer: youtu.be/csLbNO5cYSM

LAWLESS [2012]
Directed by John Hillcoat

[b]Jack [voiceover]: My brother Forrest once said, nothing can kill us. We can’t never die. The reason being that in the Great War, my eldest brother, Howard, saw his entire battalion drown in the sea, every last one of them. He was the only survivor. And Forrest, well, that same year, Spanish Lady Flu damn near wiped out the entire state. Got Ma and Pa and Forrest, but against all the odds he somehow managed to fight it off. So you could see why Forrest felt that way. Me and my brothers are moonshiners, bootleggers. In 1920 they paid us the Prohibition Act, making sale of alcohol illegal. Well, at least it was supposed to be.

Jack [voiceover]: They call Franklin the Wettest County in the world on account of almost everybody makin’ the stuff. Now you can make moonshine whiskey from just about anything. Turnips, pumpkins, blackberries, cornmeal, tree bark. Anything. But at night, in them hills, you can see them fires from the stills burnin’ like lights on a damn Christmas tree. And over them mountains, in the cities, there was a biggest crime wave this country had ever seen.

Jack [voiceover]: And all the illegal liquor was flowin’ down from the hills to the cities by the truck, and gangsters were just scoopin’ money off the streets, like candy. Good men like Al Capone, Tommy Maloy, that mad dog Floyd Banner, they just moved in and took over. Meanwhile we were haulin’ the stuff around in our old beat-up truck.

Forrest [to a guy trying to rob them]: Now listen here mister. We got no way of understanding this world. We got about as much sense of it as a bird flyin in the sky. Now theres a whole lot that bird don’t know, but the world is happenin around him just the same. What I’m tryin to say is, the course of your life is changing right in fron of you, and you don’t even see it…

Wardell: Can I help you, son?
Forrest: Yeah. You send your clown with the bow tie around here again, and I guarantee you’ll personally pull a cleaver out of his fucking skull. You understand me?
Wardell: You’re gonna regret this, Forrest.
Rakes: He’s already regretting it, he’s just too ignorant to know it yet.

Sheriff: I don’t rightly understand what you mean, but there’s a feelin’ around these parts that Forrest Bondurant is different than other folks.
Rakes: Different?
Sheriff: indestructible.
Rakes: Do you mean, immortal?
[Rakes laughs]
Rakes: You…you fucking hicks are sideshows onto yourselves.
[he continues to laugh]
Rakes: Sheriff, do you have any idea what a Thompson submachine gun does to an “immortal”?

Forrest [after Rakes beats the shit out of Jack]: So you wanna get into this racket, but I see you sittin there lookin like somebody’s punchin bag. So I ask you, what do you intend to do now?
Jack: What do I intend to do?
Forrest: Yeah. What did you think someone else was gonna handle this for you? Howard maybe?

Forrest: Jack, it is not the violence that sets men apart, alright, it is the distance that he is prepared to go.

Forrest [to the sheriff]: Have you met Howard?

Banner [to Jack and Cricket crouched down in a grave]: There ain’t no honor in the business no more.
[then to his men]
Banner: Shoot em.

Banner [to Jack]: I respect you Bondurants standing up to that Commonwealth’s District Attorney. He’s got everybody in his pocket. He takes a shit and half of Virginia falls out his ass.

Banner [after knocking out Gummy Walsh with a shovel]: I’ve got every lawman in three fucking states up my ass. The last thing I need is some hard-ass crackers pulling a blood feud on me!

Forrest [to Jack]: Look at you, swanning around like you’re Al Capone.

Jack [voiceover]: I kept hearing the country was in a real bad way. Folks outta work, people dusted out, losing their homes and their farms and all. But from my perspective, the situation was something different entirely. Once we started shifting that liquor across the county line, that money just started pouring in.

Bertha: You’re an outlaw Jack.
Jack: Nah, it’s just a matter of perspective. I’m just doing what any man around here would do if he had the same strength of character.

Rakes: That friend of yours, he called me a nance. Why would he say that?
Cricket: I don’t know, sir. Maybe 'cause you smell funny.

Maggie: I gotta watch you die all over again.
Forrest: What you talkin’ about?
Maggie: I gotta find you lying in a pool of your own blood? Drag your damn body into my car. Drive you down to the hospital, your throat cut from ear to ear?
Forrest: You did that? That was you? I thought I walked.
Maggie: Isn’t that just like you to believe your own damn legend?

Jack [voiceover]: In December 1933, Prohibition finished. So ended the great Franklin County Moonshine Conspiracy, as it became known.

Jack [voiceover]: Forrest once said nothing could kill us, that we could never die. And back then I think I actually believed it. Hell, I know Forrest did. 'Cause no matter what this world flung at him he seemed to be able to just stand up and keep on going. Getting a little more bent, a little more twisted each time. But nobody leaves this world alive. Not even Forrest. And in the end, it was dumb luck and pneumonia that got him. It was as simple and indifferent as that.[/b]

In the years before this film came out my job took me to New York City a few times a year. I’d travel there from Baltimore by way of Amtrack. And little did I know then what was down below the tracks. A whole other world.

You read about this stuff from time to time. Folks living down in the tunnels. The “mole people”. But you’re thinking that they just come and go. In other words not really living down there. Well, they do. Or they did.

It seems that during the actual filming of this documentary, Amtrack had given these folks 30 days to get out. And they meant it. They sent folks down there to tear the makeshift dwellings to pieces. Filming this however was prohibited. So Singer filmed the folks living there tearing them down themselves. Some of the “residents” were then placed in apartments by the city. You can’t help but wonder where they are now?

As for the filmmaker:

Marc Singer had never been a filmmaker prior to this project. He had moved underground to the tunnels as a lifestyle choice, and when he and his friends were sitting around one night, someone had said, according to Singer, “Hey we should make a film about this,” and tell their stories. Singer’s original hope was that the film would get some attention and help get the people out of the tunnels and into better, safer places. It did.

As one of the “residents” pointed out it might take some time but, “you’d be amazed at what the human beings can get used to.”

Black and white, young and old. But mostly all men. And mostly crackheads. Or so some insist. They plug into the electrical system to power their televisions, electric shavers, fans, heaters, stereos. They build “houses” from anything that is available. Some better made than others. Their “showers” are leaking pipes.

Some of them have their “day jobs” up on the surface. For example, they might scavage for junk and sell it. They know where to go for food that is tossed away by restaurants. Or what is edible and what is not from trash bags. Some of them have pet dogs or cats.

And the backstories a few of them tell are just horrific.

Naturally, some people will be more sympathetic towards the plight of these folks than others. It’s always about conflicting political narratives in the end.

And, in the end, most of their lives turned out for the better. Out of the tunnels and into apartments they found work, stopped doing dope, got married, raised families etc.

IMDb

[b]Singer was permitted to use a 16mm Bolex on loan from a camera house in New York without up-to-date payments. He was given left-over film stock on a “pay-later” basis from Kodak and other resources. The lab in New York that processed his negatives and prints also granted him this favor. He began editing on a flatbed, before he was granted the use of an avid at practically no charge from a friend of a friend. He also had complete and total creative control over the project and its final cut, also a rarity.

Singer employed his friends in the tunnels as his crew. Singer claims that these people, with no prior experience in filmmaking whatsoever, were incredible in their ability to set up lighting rigs, dollies, and electrical wiring, mostly without the use of tools or real grip equipment. To make the dolly for tracking shots, Singer and his carpenter built a rig made out of wood and metal scraps. Without a power drill, they would heat a metal rod and ‘singe’ a hole into the wood to put a screw or dowel in for fixture.[/b]

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Days_(film
trailer: youtu.be/MjjQJipwSxQ

DARK DAYS [2000]
Directed by Marc Singer

Here is another film based on a novel from Stephen King. But it is one of the few [as with Misery above] that do not play host to a supernatural element as the main protagonist. Instead it prefers to delve more into the mysteries of human consciousness itself. All of the ways in which ordinary men and women go about making the choices they do. And how estranged others can become when it is time to understand them. Even [in this case] when they are mother and daughter.

Naturally, for lives to come to this, there must be secrets buried in the past. Small towns. Small secrets. Or maybe instead it’s two murders and two mysteries. Only they loom all the larger for the folks born and raised in small towns. Still, big or small, only when we have a much better understanding of the relationship between now and then can we even begin to grapple with an understanding of why one set of behaviors was chosen and not another.

Of course one of those secrets isn’t all that hard to guess.

But just think of all the lives that we pass judgment on in which we do not really have a clue as to how the past and the present are connected. Instead, we often base our judgments on how we connect our own past to the present.

But there’s a catch here: So much depends on how accurate our recollections of the relationship is. Sometimes we end up taking the word of someone who, though honest in their intentions, have both the pieces and the puzzle itself completely out of whack.

And then there’s the rich bitch, Vera. Proud to be one too. Insufferable? Only because she can afford to be. But even rich bitches get old. Even rich bitches start to fall apart at the seams. Money just makes it all a little more bearable. Or a whole lot more unbearable.

Even Stephen King and his hundreds of millions can’t stave that part off much longer.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolores_Claiborne_(film
trailer: youtu.be/_B4v2-lLuHE

DOLORES CLAIBORNE [1995]
Directed by Taylor Hackford

[b]Selena [to Peter]: Right. So not only are you not fucking me now, you’re fucking me too.

Kid on street: Look!
Kid on street: Hey Miss Claiborne! Kill anyone else today?
Dolores: Not just yet, but when I change my mind I’ll know exactly where to start.

Det. Mackey: I’m sorry, but I think it’s for the best if you got yourself some legal representation.
Dolores: You’re sorry, are you? Bet the last time you were sorry was when you needed to use the pay toilet and the string on your pet dime broke.

Dolores [to Joe after tossing the hatchet in his lap]: Go on. All I ask is that you do it quick. And don’t let Selena see the mess once it’s over. You want to run me down? You go right ahead. You can be as mean and hurtful as you want. But this is the last time you will ever hit me! You do it again and one of us is going to the bone yard.

Dolores [to Selena]: I guess if you wanna know about somebody’s life, you look at their hands.

Vera [to Dolores, who is hanging her sheets to dry]: Six pins, Dolores! You know that’s the way I like it, six pins, not five!

Selena [of Det. Mackey]: That is the last guy in the world you want make an enemy out of.
Dolores: I ain’t making one, I’m keeping one.
Selana: What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Dolores: You gonna tell me you don’t remember him?

Det. Mackey [to Selena]: Vera Donovan’s on my head…the next one’s on yours.

Dolores [to Selena, who is frantically taking pills]: How is that going to help?
Selena: Because in ten minutes, I’m gonna be fine.
Dolores: Selena…
Selena: JUST GIVE ME TEN MINUTES!

Dolores: It was just a bad patch, Selena.
Selena: A bad patch? I had a fucking nervous breakdown, mother!

Dolores [to Det. Mackey]: Now, you listen to me, Mr. Grand High Poobah of Up yer Buttcrack, I’m just about half-past give a shit with your fun and games.

Selena [to Dolores]: What happened in that house?

Dolores [sobbing]: Why? Why’d you do this, Vera?
Vera: Because I hate the smell of being old.

Vera: Well, don’t look to me, Dolores. All my money is tied up in cash.

Selena [leaving her mother]: I’m sorry, Mother. Sometimes being a bitch is the only thing a woman has to hang on to.

Vera [to Dolores]: Has he fucked her?!

Vera: It’s a depressingly masculine world we live in, Dolores.

Dolores: What if I’m wrong?
Vera: What if you’re right? Husbands die every day, Dolores. Why… one is probably dying right now while you’re sitting here weeping. They die…and leave their wives their money. I should know, shouldn’t I? Sometimes they’re driving home from their mistress’s apartment and their brakes suddenly fail. An accident, Dolores, can be an unhappy woman’s best friend.

Dolores: I got another surprise for you, Joe.
Joe: What, did someone invent a pill to cure ugly?

Selena: Eighteen years ago, my father drank a bottle of scotch and fell down a well. Detective Mackey didn’t think it was an accident, which is… why we’re here today.
Det. Mackey: And what do you think, Selena?
Selena: I think I owe you an apology. I called you a son of a bitch. You said you thought we were a lot alike, and you were right. We both spent the past 18 years prosecuting this woman. We came out here – I know I did – believing she was guilty. We forgot this case is about Vera Donovan. Not my father.
Det. Mackey: And what if it wasn’t an accident?
Selena: Look. It’s been 18 years. I don’t know what this has done to you, but let me tell you, it’s consumed me. I have lived with this every day of my life. Every day. I was wrong and I won’t do it anymore. And if I can say that, my God, can’t you?[/b]

The irony being it wasn’t really an accident at all. But it certainly wasn’t a cold blooded murder either.

The best of intentions. We are rooting for her. But then it all turns to shit. The drug dealing bastard she aimed to kill [the man she accuses of causing the death of her husband and of posioning the children she teaches] is still around. But four innocent people are now dead as a doornail. Including two small children. She sets out to rid the world of evil and evil is what ensues instead.

How do you respond to that? Is she scum? Should she not have anticipated the possibility of a cleaning crew when she put the bomb in a wastebasket? And why plant it in a crowded office building at all? Not only that but she was in the process of divorcing her husband. And it was the man who she holds responsible for his death who was the intended target of the bomb.

So, we have to get around [eventually] to what might constitute justice here. But first there is all that corruption to scale. And in modern day Italy don’t even get them started.

And more dope. Around the world [the modern industrial world] it seems the most conservative nations are always hellbent on keeping drugs illegal. And their capitalist infrastructures create the conditions of alienation, of estrangement, of day to day drudgery that drive folks to drugs in the first place. But then they pass laws to make them verboten. Though [of course] not alcohol or cigarettes. And when millions want access to the sort of escape these drugs provide there are billions of dollars to be made in manufacturing and selling them. So much money in fact that political and police corruption becomes part and parcel to the whole systemic cesspool.

The ending here is nothing short of surreal. You can only make of it what you will.

IMDb

The first of a planned trilogy Krzysztof Kieslowski and Krzysztof Piesiewicz wrote before Kieslowski’s death: Heaven, Hell and Purgatory.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven_(2002_film
trailer: youtu.be/tBVLiyAqbJ4

HEAVEN [2002]
Directed by Tom Tykwer

[b]Helicopter Pilot [in simulation]: Follow the terrain. Good. Keep it perpendicular to the ridge. That’s it. Under real conditions you might have to compensate for the wind here. Now, maintain you height. Watch your height, careful.
[climbing higher simulator switches off]
Helicopter Pilot: In a real helicopter you can’t just keep flying higher.
Filippo: How high can I fly?

Philippa [on phone with the police]: I’ve called you so many times, but you didn’t do anything. Now I’m doing it myself. In his office is a bomb. It will explode in … fifty seconds.
Policeman: Who is this?
Philippa. Philippa Paccard.

Inspector: Place of birth?
Philippa: Bristol.
Inspector: Profession?
Philippa: Teach. I’m a teacher.
Inspector: Marital status?
Philippa: Um, I don’t know.
Inspector: You don’t know whether you’re married or not?
Philippa: I was in the process… I was getting divorced, but my husband died during proceedings.[/b]

Then she finds out just how terribly wrong it all went:

[b]Inspector: You are being accused, of the explosion in an office building, where four people died.
Philippa [not understanding]: Four?
Inspector: Yes, four. Because of the explosion an elevator fell down. There were four people inside. A father with his two daughters and a cleaning lady. Three of them were immediately dead. The youngest girl died last night in the hospital.
[the look on her face – she is numb from shock – then she bursts into anguished tears – then she faints and falls to the floor]

Inspector: So, what you’re trying to say is that this Mr. Vendice, the chairman of Ulcom Electronics is selling drugs from his office? Why should we believe this?
Philippa: He would give my husband who was a friend from school a discount. He even gives the kids in my school a discount. He even gives the Carabineri [the police] a discount. Thirteen year old children who have already been in rehab. This is what I have been writing and writing and writing and writing to you about.
Inspector: There is no recored of any letters. No record of any calls. Nothing.
Philippa: I have copies of those letters in my apartment. I have receipts that have been stamped by the Carabineri…
Inspector: We’ll check…

And there it is – the plot – in a nutshell. It is then only a matter of discovering who is or is not corrupt. And what Fillipo’s role is in all this.

[b]Philippa: Why did you change the plan?
Filippo: My father always said, at the right moment, you have to do what nobody expects.

Philippa: Do you know why I agreed to this? Do you know why I agreed to escape?
[Filippo shakes his head]
Philippa: I don’t want to escape punishment. I’ve killed four innocent people and I want to answer for that, but before I do, I want to kill him. That is the only reason I agreed to escape.

Philippa: Do you remember me?
Vendice: Yes.
[Philippa shoots him dead]

Philippa: Four innocent people died because of me. I can’t live with that. I’ll never be able to. I shot a defenseless man…which you know. But then what you don’t know is…I’ve ceased to believe.
Filippo [after a long pause]: Ceased to believe in what?
Philippa: In innocence. In justice. In life. [/b]

But then the ending…

What is going on here? As Roger Ebert intimated:

We require theology to get to the bottom of the story: It is wrong to commit an immoral act in order to bring about a good outcome. No matter how beneficial the result, it is still a sin. This is a good movie that could have been great if it had ended in a form of penance.

Is this true though? In a world sans God? But how does this end when the dots are connected between those four dead innocent human beings and that helicopter disappearing from view?

More love and human remains? Sure. But this time it’s the “ha ha ha” kind. By and large.

In other words, young love and/or love American style. Gag me with a spoon.

And then there is that even more complex relationship between sex and music. In the young American male for example. There is no contest betwen the two of course but for some it can actually get neck and neck on any given day.

Meet Rob. He loves girls. He loves music. But the two have now become so inextricably linked in his mind it all sometimes becomes a blur. Unless, that is, the girl makes the “top five”. Rob it seems has a “top five” list for just about everything related to both girls and music.

And then there is Laura. Unfortunately, she is endanger of not even making it into Rob’s “five all time most memorable breakups”. Hell, she might not make it into the top ten! At least at first. But in the end it’s, well, it is what it is.

When it comes to sex, there are men who get stuck in adolescence for, say, for the rest of their lives. That’s the rule by the way not the exception. Men might watch this and think “was I really like that then?” But if most are really being honest they’ll finally admit that this is pretty much the way they still are. Or would be if they could be.

And Barry. Barry steals the show here. And I don’t even particularly like Jack Black.

Now, make no mistake about it. This is just, uh, “pop music”. But that encompasses a vast, vast continuum. And trekking from one end of it to the other you will encounter many, many, many great selections. Well, you will if you are me.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Fidelity_(film
trailer: youtu.be/q8DIm_47xPU

HIGH FIDELITY [2000]
Directed by Stephen Frears

[b]Rob [voiceover]: What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?

Rob [voiceover]: My desert-island, all-time, top five most memorable break-ups, in chronological order are as follows: Alison Ashworth, Penny Hardwick, Jackie Allen, Charlie Nicholson, Sarah Kendrew. Those were the ones that really hurt. Can you see your name in that list, Laura? Maybe you’d sneak into the top ten!![/b]

Laura however is already out the door.

[b]Rob [voiceover]: It was as if breasts were little pieces of property that had been unlawfully annexed by the opposite sex. They were rightfully ours and we wanted them back.

Rob [voiceover]: Sometimes I got so bored of trying to touch her breast that I would try to touch her between her legs. It was like trying to borrow a dollar, getting turned down, and asking for 50 grand instead.

Rob [voiceover]: I get by because of the people who make a special effort to shop here - mostly young men - who spend all their time looking for deleted Smith singles and original, not rereleased - underlined - Frank Zappa albums. Fetish properties are not unlike porn. I’d feel guilty taking their money, if I wasn’t…well…kinda one of them.

Barry: Holy shite. What the fuck is that?
Dick: It’s the new Belle and Sebastian…
Rob: It’s a record we’ve been listening to and enjoying, Barry.
Barry: Well, that’s unfortunate, because it sucks ass.

Rob: TURN IT OFF, BARRY!!
Barry: IT WON’T GO ANY LOUDER!!

Barry: What’s wrong with the Righteous Brothers?
Dick: Nothing. I just prefer the other one.
Barry: Bullshit.
Rob: How can it be bullshit to state a preference?
Barry: Since when did this shop become a fascist regime?

Rob [voiceover]: I can’t fire them. I hired these guys for three days a week and they just started showing up every day. That was four years ago.

Rob [voiceover]: I was jealous of other men in Charlie’s design department. I became convinced that she was going to leave me for one of them.
[long pause]
Rob: Then she left me for one of them.

Rob: [voiceover on being out of Charlie’s league]: Hey, I’m not the smartest guy in the world, but I’m certainly not the dumbest. I mean, I’ve read books like “The Unbearable Lightness of Being” and “Love in the Time of Cholera”, and I think I’ve understood them. They’re about girls, right? Just kidding.

Customer: Hi, do you have the song “I Just Called To Say I Love You?” It’s for my daughter’s birthday. Do you have it?
Barry: Yea we have it.
Customer: Great, Great, can I have it?
Barry: No, no, you can’t.
Customer: Why not?
Barry: Well, it’s sentimental tacky crap. Do we look like the kind of store that sells “I Just Called to Say I Love You?” Go to the mall.

Rob [voiceover]: John Dillinger was killed behind that theater in a hale of FBI gunfire. And do you know who tipped them off? His fucking girlfriend!

Rob: Why’d you have to tell her about the store?
Barry: Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t know it was classified information. I mean, I know we don’t have any customers, but I thought that was a bad thing, not like, a business strategy.

Rob [to the camera]: WHAT FUCKING IAN GUY?!!

Rob: I want more, I wanna see the others on the big top-five. I want to see Penny and Charlie and Sarah, all of them. You know? Just see 'em and talk to 'em. You know, like a Bruce Springsteen song.
Bruce Springsteen: You call, you ask them how they are and see if they’ve forgiven you.
Rob: Yeah, and then I feel good. And they feel good.
Bruce Springsteen: They’d feel good, maybe. But you feel better.
Rob: I’d feel clean and calm.
Bruce Springsteen: That’s what you’re looking for, you know, get ready to start again. It’d be good for you.
Rob: Great, even.
Bruce Springsteen: Give that big final good luck and goodbye to your all time top-five and just move on down the road.
Rob: Good luck, Goodbye. Thanks, Boss.[/b]

He settled for Bruce. He wanted Bob. As in Dylan. No, really. Bob wasn’t available.

Rob: I could’ve wound up having sex back there. And what better way to exorcise rejection demons than to screw the person who rejected you, right? But you wouldn’t be sleeping with a person, you’d be sleeping with the whole sad, single-person culture. It’d be like sleeping with Talia Shire in Rocky if you weren’t Rocky.

This things do get complicated.

[b]Barry [to customer]: You don’t have it? That is perverse. Do not tell anyone you don’t own fucking Blonde On Blonde.

Rob: So we have a chance of getting back together again.
Laura: Oh, Rob, shut up.
Rob: Hey, I just want to know where I stand. What chance.
Laura: I don’t fucking know what chance you fucking have!
Rob: Well if you could tell me roughly it would help.
Laura: Okay, okay, we have a nine percent chance of getting back together. Does that clarify the situation?

Rob [voiceover]: Awhile back, Barry and I agreed that what really matters is what you like, not what you are like… Books, records, films - these things matter. Call me shallow but it’s the fuckin’ truth…

Laura [preparing to have sex with Rob in a car]: I knew there was a reason I wore a skirt today.

Rob: Liking both Marvin Gaye and Art Garfunkel is like supporting both the Israelis and the Palestinians.
Laura: No, it’s really not like that at all, Rob. You know why? Because Marvin Gaye and Art Garfunkel make pop records.

Rob: Marvin Gaye.
Laura: I know.
Rob: Let’s get it on. That’s our song. Marvin Gaye is responsible for our entire relationship.
Laura: Oh, is that so? I’d like a word with him then.

Rob [voiceover]: Now, the making of a good compilation tape is a very subtle art. Many do’s and don’ts. First of all you’re using someone else’s poetry to express how you feel. This is a delicate thing.

Rob [voiceover]: I’ve been thinking my gut since I was 14 years old, and frankly speaking, I’ve come to the conclusion that my gut has shit for brains.[/b]

The Catfish documentary. Real or fake? This controversy in and of itself certainly helped to stimulate both interest and sales.

From IMDb:

[b]Others, such as documentarian Morgan Spurlock, have referred to the movie as a “fake documentary”. Some of the arguments for this are circumstantial. Some reviewers have found it hard to believe that these young internet savvy guys would have been so taken in by such an obvious hoax and would not have checked out Megan’s identity before traveling cross country to meet her. They also question why the filmmakers would have started filming Nev so early in his relationship with Megan, before anything seemed out of place, and also question the fact that every significant event in the story seems to have been captured on camera. More substantively, the movements of the group as depicted in Catfish conflict with their locations as given in blog postings at the time.

Some critics claim that while the basic story of the film is real, or at least based around real events, it contains numerous scenes which have been recreated or dramatized. Some even suggest that the trio discovered the truth about Megan early on and chose to exploit it to tell an engaging story.[/b]

Here is just one of many, many online takes:
veryaware.com/2010/09/catfish-re … e-sort-of/

Either way it certainly highlighted the manner in which the identity we assume online can become rather far removed from “who we really are”. And sometimes the consequences will be benign and sometimes they will be considerably less than benign. Even downright malignant. Think for example of the infamous “talhotblond” fiasco.

And it also brings into focus the importance of “youth” and “beauty” when engaging in the search for “love”. At least in this part of the world. Sure, it’s nice that she is personable, intelligent and talented. But it is not just incidental that she is, well, “hot”. Though [as many woman might point out] not as “hot” as him.

Anyway, to the extent that this is either all true, completely fabricated or partly both, it is something we can very easily imagine being true. Or I could. In that sense it’s like watching many other movies that are not documentaries. You know it’s something concocted from a script, taken from a story or a novel or even invented entirely in the director’s or the screenwriter’s head. But you can still become absorbed in it [easily] because you can imagine something like it happening in “real life”.

So, the whole controversary here never really bothered me all that much. It’s not as though it led to a war or an economic calamity or a murder. Like, say, the stuff made up in Washington D.C. or on Fox News.

Also, it might be argued that while Angela is being fraudulent [assuming this is all true], Nev is being cruel in exposing her the way he did. He could have just ended his contact with her. But to pop up at her doorstep out of the blue in order to show the world what a fake she is seems, well, excessive. It’s a bit excruciating to watch.

As for Abby, they know that her being [locally] a famous painter with her own “gallery” is all bullshit. Why drag her into it? I found myself getting pissed off at them. She’s like 8 years old. Thank god Henry is along for the ride. Otherwise, the Nev being pissed off at being played for the fool by the beautiful “Megan” narrative might have prevailed.

And, as it turns out, Angela is really quite a person. But she wants more than she has and was almost certainly never going to actually achieve it.

And one can only guess at how this all might have turned out if she was Angela on the inside but looked like Megan on the outside.

Why “Catfish”?

Vince Pierce [Angela’s husband]: They used to tank cod from Alaska all the way to China. They’d keep them in vats in the ship. By the time the codfish reached China, the flesh was mush and tasteless. So this guy came up with the idea that if you put these cods in these big vats, put some catfish in with them and the catfish will keep the cod agile. And there are those people who are catfish in life. And they keep you on your toes. They keep you guessing, they keep you thinking, they keep you fresh. And I thank god for the catfish because we would be droll, boring and dull if we didn’t have somebody nipping at our fin.

Angela being the catfish here I presume. Though I’m not entirely sure what that manages to convey.

IMDb

[b]As of August 2011, the film has been hit with two lawsuits and, according to Catfish distributor Relativity Media, the film has an unrecouped balance of more than $8.5 million and will not likely ever become profitable. Both of these lawsuits have to do with songs used within the movie not being attributed to their creators.

One of Angela’s and Megan’s “real” friends on Facebook who shared songs and advice turned out to also be a fictional character called Denton Rose who won America’s Dream Date as a fictional character in 2006. The character appeared on Fox, and the WSJ and was offered the lead role in a DreamWorks film.[/b]

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catfish_(film
trailer: youtu.be/1xp4M0IjzcQ

CATFISH [2010]
Directed by Henry Joost, Ariel Schulman

[b][after Megan’s songwritng/singing is exposed as a fraud]
Henry: Don’t you want to get to the bottom of this? It would kill me if it was left like this.
Nev: I can’t now. It’s too late. It’s all bullshit. I don’t want to be a part of this.
Ariel: We don’t know how much of it is bullshit. And they don’t know how much of it you know is bullshit. You’ve just found like the tip of the iceberg.

Henry: I think we finish up with Vail, then we drive to Michigan.
Ariel: Okay.
Henry: And then we just find out. We just go to their house and say, "Hi, who’s real in this situation?”

Ariel [to the camera]: I don’t even know where to start. Angela doesn’t look like Angela. Vince doesn’t look like Vince.[/b]

You might say not even close.

[b]Henry [to Ariel and Nev]: Let’s just say that I could take all of your photos, all of of your photos and download them, and make new profiles on Facebook with totally different names and never make friends with the people who knew you. And just create a network of friends, that are actually real-life friends but you don’t know them.

Ariel: What I want to know is what about all the rest of these people? Like Alex. It’s like if picture Megan doesn’t know Abby, right, then Abby doesn’t know Megan. Then, these other kids they talk about Abby too, right?
Nev: They all talk about Abby.
Ariel: Then they don’t know Abby. Their friend Megan doesn’t know Abby.
Nev: Right. Her sister.
Henry: But Alex has got to be fake, if Megan’s fake.
Ariel: They all relate to you through Megan. If there’s no Megan, then they don’t relate to you. 'Cause she’s not fooling them too. Maybe she’s…
Nev: What about all these other people?
Ariel: She’s ALL of them.
Nev: She could be all of them.[/b]

Got that?

[b]Henry: I’m really feeling conscious about embarrassing them. I mean, I really don’t want to hurt this family.
Ariel: Well, she needs a wake-up call.
Henry: I know, but I just feel like it’s not malicious…it’s just sad.

Titlecard:

Angela doesn’t have cancer.
There is no Megan as Dawn Farms.
Angela doesn’t know the girl in the pictures.
Over the course of their nine month correspondence Angela and Nev exchanged 1,500 messages.
The girl in the pictures [“Megan”] is Aimee Gonzales. She is a professional model and photographer. She lives in Vancouver, Washington with her husband and two children.
Angela deactivated her 15 other profiles, and changed her Facebook profile to a picture of herself. She now has a website promoting herself as an artist.
Nev is still on Facebook. He currently has 732 friends. Including Angela.[/b]

What would the military industrial complex and the war economy be without a bread and circus culture? But I guess we will never really know. For over 50 years now it has been virtually impossible to imagine one without the other.

It usually begins here, with Dwight D. Eisenhower’s farewell address to the nation:

Good evening, my fellow Americans. We now stand 10 years passed the midpoint of the century, that has witnessed four major wars among great nations. Three of these involved our own country. We have been compelled to create a…permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. Of this conjunction, of an immense military establishment…and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. In the councils of government we must guard against, the acquisition of unwanted influence, whether sought or unsought by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the wait of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes.

Then it all begins to splinter as various political factions react to the words.

The crucial point though [from this splinter] is that, increasingly, war and “national security” have become deeply intertwined in and virtually inseparable from the economy itself. Millions upon millions of jobs are directly [or indirectly] linked to them. And as a consequence foreign policy becomes as much a creature of this as of whatever the military rationale itself might be.

I myself live right next door to a Lockheed/Martin plant. And in our community there are more cars parked in its lots than in any other company for miles around. Begin to dismantle the MIC and lots of folks here will be out of work.

But in the film when kids are asked “why do we fight?” the answer is always “for freedom”. And obviously it is easy enough for the politicians [their campaigns funded by the big corporations that comprise the MIC] to weave that [along with democracy and human rights] into their narratives.

I mean, given the bread and circus mentality that comprises our pop culture, how many are listening anyway?

But historically there were folks like Hitler. And who can argue against a mighty military then? And others felt the same way with respect to the Soviet Union and Communism. Fighting for freedom is not always just a rationalization to make money.

One thing for sure. My own point of view here won’t put even the tiniest of dents in the way this all unfolds.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_We_Fight_(2005_film
trailer: youtu.be/BcuStxJHv4c

WHY WE FIGHT [2005]
Written and directed by Eugene Jarecki

[b]Chalmers Johnson [former CIA agent]: Blowback. It’s a CIA turn. Blowback does not mean simply the unintended consequences of foreign operations. It means the unintended consequences of foreign operations, that were deliberately kept secret from the American public. So that when the retaliation comes, the American public is not able to put it in context, to put cause and effect together. Then they come up with questions like, ‘Why did they hate us?’ Our government did not want the forensic question a ‘What were their motives?’ asked. And instead chose to say ‘They were just evil doers.’

Gore Vidal: We live here in the United States of Amnesia. No one remembers anything before monday morning. Everything is a blank. They have no history.

Karen Kwiatkowski: September 11th was really the event that changed American foreign policy. When I was in the Pentagon, when we got hit, you know, yes it did change. It was a very dramatic and terrible thing. And it does change the perspective. But the war in Iraq had nothing to do with war on terrorism. There was a huge leap, a manufactured leap. In order to implement a very calculated and predeveloped foreign policy.

Joseph Cirincione: Eisenhower saw a [MIC] starting to build programme after programme, that was just out of control. And his own ability to shape national security policy was being hemmed in by these forces, he couldn’t control. And he was the President. On at least one occasion Eisenhower was heard to say by those in the room, ‘God help this country when somebody sits at this desk, who doesn’t know as much about the military as I do.’

Senator Byrd: Our country spends more on defense than all of the other 18 members of NATO plus China and Russia combined.

Franklin Spinney [defense analyst]: Look at the weapons they were buying, new aircraft carriers, new submarines, F22 fighters. You know for an attack, that the FBI estimates probably cost of Al-Qaeda or Osama 500K to pull off. We are now spending more than we did at the peak of Vietnam.

Franklin Spinney: Once the Air Force signs off on it, then they start flooding money to as many congressional districts as possible as quickly as possible.

Chalmers Johnson: The B-2 bomber has a piece of it made in every single state to make sure that if you ever try to phase that project out, you will get howls, howls from among the most liberal members of Congress.

Joseph Cirincione:…the military industral complex has not two legs…it’s three. It’s a military and the industry and Congress. For a Congressman defense spending means jobs. Losing hundred defense jobs in his district could mean five hundred votes. It’s not just a hundred workers, it’s the their spouses, their children. It’s the representative’s duty to bring home the bacon.

Charles Lewis: We have a snapshot in time after September 11th, where at least 71 companies that we’re able to identify were starting to get contracts to go in Afghanistan and Iraq. All of the top 10 companies had former US officials, who had worked in the Pentagon or other parts of US government on the board as directors or as their top executives. It’s known as a revolving door and people are cashing in all the time. Public officials go to work for companies and they make triple, quadruple, ten times sometimes as much money as they used to make in public service…The number one recipient of contracts was vice president Cheney’s former company Halliburton and subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root. KBR.

Charles Lewis: We did a report that took 2.5 years, cost 600,000 dollars, involving 33 people – including ten investigate reporters on 6 continents – looking at private military companies and outsourcing war all over the world. And we noticed that in 1992 there was a contract of 9 million dollars, given out to a company Kellogg Brown and Root, to study the idea of whether or not the Pentagon should start using the private sector to do some of the support type functions like food service, latrine duty, but even maybe some military things as well. And the Secretary of Defense at that time was one Dick Cheney. So Cheney gives the contract out. Kellogg Brown and Root comes back and says ‘This is a terrific idea’. For the next ten years they get 7 or 800 hundred contracts. Doors opened not only in Washington but in capitals all over the world. And yes, Cheney becomes personally wealthy from that. No question about it. His net worth went from a million dollars or less to a net worth of 60 to 70 million dollars in the span of five years. So we’ve elected a government contractor as vice president. This could be Indonesia, it sounds like Russia or Nigeria. But no, it’s the United States of America. And everything I just said is entirely legal. And it is our system of legal corruption.

Joseph Cirincione: We have a process that has a seamlessness where the corporate interest that stand to benefit are so intertwined and interwoven with the political forces. The financial leads and the politically leads, have become the same people.

Chalmers Johnson: The ‘defense’ budget is three quarters of a trillion dollars. Profits went up last year well over 25%. I guarantee you: when war becomes that profitable, we’re going to see more of it.

Charles Lewis: We don’t like to think of ourselves as the militant nation, but we’re in fact incredibly militant and militaristic nation. It is not a view of ourselves that we wanna carry around, but the fact is we are. If the President and the military industrial complex and defense establishment, if they all have decided that suddenly there’s a problem somewhere, we need to drop some bombs or even put ground forces somewhere in some country, this is our ritual that we have been seeing for decades. We have toppled governments,we’ve done coups. We’ve used intelligence services for covert purposes and done horrible things around the world. And we have put up with the most human rights abusing countries. We have prop them up, we even trained them how to commit human rights abuses. Today’s demon was yesterday’s friend. All in the name of either the cold war or for commercial reasons. It’s basically economic colonialism.[/b]

And in the background a world map; and then one by one over the years the countries these things have happened in are noted: Guatamaula, Iran, Lebanon, Haiti, Cuba, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Congo, Indonesia, Dominican Republic, Chile, Angola, Aghanistan, Libya, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Grenada, Chad, Bolivia, Panama, Iraq, Somolia, Yugoslavia, Macedonia, Bosnia, Yemen, Columbia, Liberia. Many of these countries multiple times.

Then the events in Iran that we set into motion [starting with the 1956 coup] culminating in the 1979 Islamic revolution. Then this:

[b]Chalmers Johnson: We then made a puppet out of Saddam Hussein in Iraq. Who was a friend of ours. He was an asset in the CIA’s computers. We did so because he was anti-Iranian. He was very fearful that the revolution in Iran which spread into his country easier for went to war with Iran. The war was extremely bloody. It went on throughout the 1980s. Unfortunately for Saddam Hussein he began to lose the war. At that point in comes the United States and Donald Rumsfeld was sent to Saddam Hussein by President Reagan to tell him we will supply you with intelligence. We will supply you with the weapons you may need through covert means. It is why Washington would say: We know Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. We have the receipts. This is what we mean by blowback.

Chalmers Johnson: Saddam Hussein remained a friend of ours right up to his invasion in the summer of 1990 of Kuwait. We became alarmed when he invaded Kuwait, that he could also go on and invade Saudi Arabia itself. The largest preserves of oil on earth. We station troops inside Saudi Arabia. It was a mistake in every sense of the term. Remember, Osama bin Laden had said: I resent the government of Saudi Arabia for using Americans to defend Saudi Arabia against Iraq. At that point we began to fear that we’re going to lose our position in Saudi Arabia. With the second largest source of proven reserves on earth in Iraq. This leads us now to demonize our previous ally and to prepare the American public for the thought that we must take him out.

Joseph Cirincione: In some ways, the military-industrial complex may become so pervasive that it is now invisible. This is about, you know, ideas and influence and what’s safe for your career. Being seen in opposition to strong defense policies is a liability. Not just for a politician who wants to run for president, but for an expert who wants to make a name in town, or a journalist who wants to get his or her story on the front page of the paper. In this way, restricting the level of discussion to this rush for war.

Charles Lewis: I think of the history of the United States as a work in progress and our attempted democracy here is a constant struggle between capitalism and democracy. And there have been absent flows where democracy looks like it’s winning. You reign in those powerful forces, but the fundamental reality is that most of the government’s decisions today are substantially dictated by powerful corporate interest. Clearly capitalism is winning.[/b]

I have not seen the 2009 remake of this film but I suspect it is no where near as good as the original. Just a hunch. In part because almost no remakes of the “classics films” ever are.

At RT, the orginal garnered a 100% fresh rating on 32 reviews. The 2009 remake garnered a 51% fresh rating on 219 reviews. Enough said?

Think Banecek here. It’s less the crime itself and more how they are able get away with it. After all, they are in a subway train underground. It’s not like the authorities don’t know exactly where they are at all times. Assuming of course that they do.

You wonder then: in the post 9/11 world [especially in New York] how far could something like this go on.

As with Joe from Reservoir Dogs, Mr Blue fucks up here by putting together a team in which he is not absolutely certain about every member. When everything revolves around precision, one rogue element can really fuck things up. That would Mr. Gray. And the more complex the plan is the more moving parts and the more moving parts the more liklihood of one [or more] of them not being in accordance with the plan.

And then there’s all the politics. And all the great lines. In some respects, this is like watching a particularly good situation comedy.

Look for “the dead man’s feature”. And the third rail.

IMDb

[b]In a TVO (Ontario, Canada) interview, the producer said that this film did terrific box office in New York, Toronto, London and Paris - all cities with subways - but was considered a flop in the rest of the world.

The meaning of “Pelham One Two Three” refers to the New York subway timetable terminus and time of departure schedule radio call sign. As explained in the movie, “Pelham” is the name of the station of origin where the subway train departs whereas “One Two Three” refers to the time of departure i.e. 1.23 pm.[/b]

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Taking … (1974_film
trailer: youtu.be/PexDTaWZkpk

THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE [1974]
Directed by Joseph Sargent

[b]Plumber: How come that gate ain’t locked?
Caz Dolowicz: Who’s gonna steal a subway train?

Mr. Blue: Now, then, ladies and gentlemen, do you see this gun? It fires 750 rounds of 9-millimeter ammunition per minute. In other words, if all of you simultaneously were to rush me, not a single one of you would get any closer than you are right now. I do hope I’ve made myself understood.

Mr. Blue: Be Quiet! Now be quiet! nothing will happen as long as you obey my orders.
Passenger: Shit man that’s what they said in Vietnam, and I still got my ass shot full of lead.
Mr. Gray: Shut your mouth nigger! and keep it shut!
Mr. Blue: Mr. Gray!

Lt. Patrone: What’s up, Z?
Lt. Garber: You won’t believe it.
Lt. Patrone: You know me, I’ll believe anything.
Lt. Garber: A train has been hijacked.
Lt. Patrone: I don’t believe it.

Caz Dolowicz: When did the power go? Hey, conductor, when did the power go?
Conductor: Who wants to know?
Caz Dolowicz: Me! The supervisor of the Grand Central Tower wants to know!
Conductor: Oh yes, sir, a couple of minutes ago. Hey, what happened down there? A man go under?
Caz Dolowicz: Who wants to know?

Patrolman James [reporting a shooting over the radio]: They just shot him with a machine gun.
Lt. Patrone: Is he dead?
Patrolman James: Wouldn’t you be, Lieutenant?

Police Commissioner: Harry… tell me somethin’, will ya? They’re in a tunnel, surrounded on all sides. How do they expect to get away?
Harry: Beats the shit out of me, Phil.

Deputy Mayor: Phil? Whaddaya think?
Phil: Well, we’re fully mobilised. There’s enough firepower to wipe out an army. But…I can’t guarantee the safety of the 18 hostages.
Deputy Mayor: In other words, you’re for payin’ the ransom.
Phil: Well, we don’t want another Attica, do we?

Deputy Mayor: All right, Al. You’ve heard from the Three Wise Men. Now what do you say?
Mayor: What are they goin’ to say, Warren?
Deputy Mayor: Who?
Mayor: Everybody! The press! The man on the street!
Wife of the Mayor: He means the voters.
Deputy Mayor: You know what they’re going to say. The Times is going to support you. The News is going to knock you. The Post will take both sides at the same time. The rich will support you, likewise the blacks, and the Puerto Ricans won’t give a shit.

Mayor: Jessie? Jessie, what do you say?
Wife: A million dollars sounds like a lot of money. But just think what you’re gonna get in return.
Mayor: What?
Wife: 18 sure votes.

Mr. Blue: Will you go back and mind the passengers, please? I do not want Mr. Brown and Mr. Grey left alone with them.
Mr. Green: Don’t you trust them?
Mr. Blue: I trust Mr. Brown, I do not trust Mr. Grey. I think he’s an enormous, arrogant pain in the ass who could turn out to be trouble. I also think that he is mad. Why do you think they threw him out of the Mafia?
Mr. Green: Oh, terrific.

Lt. Garber: Rico, you want to make yourself useful? Get personnel and tell them to get together a list of all motormen discharged for cause during the past five to ten years.
Lt. Patrone: What are you looking for?
Lt. Garber: Somebody down there knows how to drive a train. You don’t pick that up watching Sesame Street.

Mr. Blue: I’m giving you an order, Mr Gray.
Mr. Gray: Blow it outta your ass, Colonel. You’re talkin’ to the wrong man. I’m not your Mr B-B-B-Brown.
Mr. Blue: I once had a man shot for talking to me like that.
Mr. Gray: Yeah, well, that’s the difference between you and me. I’ve always done my own killing.

Lt. Patrone: Wait a minute. I just figured out how they’re going to get away.
Lt. Garber: I’m listening.
Lt. Patrone: They’re going to fly the train to Cuba.
Lt. Garber: You’re a sick man, Rico.

Inspector Daniels: Garber, I just had a terrible thought: suppose they’re not on the train? What if they set the throttle and jumped off? While we’re chasing the train, they’re sneaking out of an emergency exit somewhere behind us.
Lt. Garber: Ingenious thought, sir, except for one thing: it’s impossible.
Inspector Daniels: Why?
Lt. Garber: Little gizmo known as a dead man’s feature. It was built into the controller handle in case a motorman should ever drop dead. The controller handle has to have a man’s hand pressing down on it hard at all times. Otherwise, the thing don’t work. The train stops cold.
Inspector Daniels: Uh-huh. I see.
Lt. Garber: Nice try, though.

Mr. Blue [over the phone]: What happed to Garber?
Lt. Patrone: Even great men have to pee.

Mr. Blue: Excuse me, do you people still execute in this state?
Lt. Garber: What? Oh, execute. No, not at the moment.
Mr. Blue: Pity.
[he then steps on the third rail and electrocutes himself]

Mr. Green: Look, I got my rights! This is my home! I just want a little peace and quiet. Now just do me a favor, willya? Get the hell out of here!
Lt. Garber: Sorry if we bothered you, Mr. Longman. C’mon, Rico.
[Mr. Green sneezes]
Lt. Garber: Gesundheit.[/b]

When you fracture somebody’s mind you never quite know what is coming back to avenge it. Or when. Of course how these things play themselves in the West and how they play themselves in a rural South Korean community will be translated with more or less acuity. But revenge [served cold or piping hot] is not something that is hard to miss. It’s only a matter of how you are able to relate to the parties from both sides of the divide.

Hae-won is hardly a likable sort. But her personality was shaped and molded in the modern world – the urban jungle that revolves around an [at times] dehumanized technocratic rat race. And monsters are almost always made and not born when these elements become hard wired into this Big City mentality. But how “typical” is this experience there?

Savagery though can manifest itself in many, many ways. The other side of the modern metropolis coin is the community far removed from “civilization”. It has its own kind of tortures – especially for those down at the bottom of the pecking order. Someone like Kim Bok-nom. She either fits into it as those who command it want her to or there is just another kind of hell [a more primitive one perhaps] to pay.

This one builds slowly, ever so slowly. But don’t let that fool you.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedevilled_(2010_film
trailer: youtu.be/dG2bObtGlsI

DEDEVILLED [Kim Bok-nam Salinsageonui Jeonmal] 2010
Directed by Chul-soo Jang

[b]Man-jong [husband to Bok-nam after kicking her to the ground]: Even dogs and pigs learn if they get beaten. Why not you!

Bok-nam: Can’t you take Yeon-hee and me with you to Seoul?
Hae-won: You can go where you like.
Bok-nam: But I don’t know how to live on the mainland.
Hae-won: Seoul is even scarier to live in then here.

Auntie [to Bok-nam]: A woman is most happy with a dick in her mouth.

Hae-won: Why do you want your boobs to grow?
Yeon-hee: Don’t you know? That’s how girls are loved.
Hae-won: Yeon-hee, does your daddy love you?
[Yeon-hee smiles and nods]
Hae-won: How does daddy love you?

Auntie: You should take the next boat.
Hae-won: There’s something…
Auntie: Laws are meant to change according to circumstances. And Bok-nam’s damn good at lying. She grew up a beggar. She’ll beg to get anything.
Hae-won: Then let the police investigate.
Auntie: If you’re so sure, why don’t you report it? You know that Yeon-hee is not Man-jong’s real daughter?

Bok-nam [to the women]: I stared at the sun for a long time and it spoke to me.
[then she picks up a sickle]

Bok-nam: [to Man-jong]: Does it hurt? Does it hurt a lot? Hold on. I’ll put bean paste on it.

Bok-nam [to boat captain]: Do I look sane to you?[/b]

The idea here is that what really counts in a romantic relationship is the stuff on the inside. Not what a man looks like, or what sort of job he has or how worldly and sophisticated he is. Nope. All that other stuff inside: personality, character, compassion, consideration, kindness.

Of course it helps when the script calls for the man that you really want – dashingly handsome, culturally sophisticated, a successful writer – to be a pig. I mean, a real pretentious asshole. That always makes this sort of narrative “work”. As though there is hardly ever a time when the man is not a pig.

In other words, as though the “inside man” in this narrative was not also able to be like the “outside man”. I mean, come on, if he were, who would she choose then? The “outside man” has many, many, many more things in common with her. Of course the “solution” then might be to make the things that the “outside man” pursues of considerably less intrinsic value or importance. Selling pickles after all is just a more substantial occupation than being a gifted writer. And then those so much more “refined” writers and artists and intellectuals are able to be portrayed as hopelessly affected prigs.

Well, sure, maybe, to some. But not to everyone. An “uptown girl” for example. Can she really be willing to trade all that in for a “regular Joe” downtown? One who likes both the Yankees and the theater?

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_Delancey
trailer: youtu.be/mTV3nZGCM9s

CROSSING DELANCEY [1988]
Directed by Joan Micklin Silver

[b]Izzy [reading from her signed copy of Anton’s book]: “Izzy dear, It’s women like you who make the world liquid and even, still in beauty born.” Hmm.

Hannah: So, Isabella, you got your own apartment?
Bubbie: Naaaaah, she lives alone in a room, like a dog. A dog should live alone, not people… a dog.
Izzy: It is not a room, it’s an apartment, a very nice apartment. You know, you’ve been there, there’s a bedroom, a bathroom…
Bubbie: Sure, with bars on the windows like a prison. Someone should crawl in at night I’m always thinking.
Izzy: Stop thinking.

Izzy: Bubbie, I am a happy person. I have a rent controlled apartment. I have a wonderful job. Guess who called the other day. Picked up the phone and called me on his private number. Isaac Singer. You know him? He won the Nobel Prize! I know lots of famous writers and publishers and editors. I organize the most prestigious reading series in New York. Me. I do it. And I have plenty of friends. Lots of women are doing tremedous things with their lives and don’t need a man to feel complete. It’s not like I’m gonna say no if someone walks into my life tomorrow. I’m not cancelling out that possibility but, Bubbie, please, listen to me. I am not, I repeat, not holding my breath!
Bubbie: A professor once told me, a college professor: “No matter how much money you got, if you’re alone, you’re sick!”

Izzy: No, no that’s a good choice, very vivid, that whole section, he’s so hungry for her, it’s… unsettling.
Anton: Yes.
Izzy: What I love most about your writing…
Anton: Yes, yes, yes, yes?
Izzy: Is it’s deceptive accessibility. It reads like pulp fiction… and then you… hear music.
Anton: Will you tell me that when I call you with an anxiety attack at 4 in the morning?

Anton: Izzy…lots of plums left on your tree.

Bubbie: Friends are friends. They come and go. A husband is a husband for life.
Izzy: Maybe I don’t want a husband.
Bubbie: Don’t talk crazy.
Izzy: And even if I did, he wouldn’t be a picle man.
Bubbie: Get off your high horse, Miss Universe! This man is just looking, he ain’t asking to buy.

Bubbie [to Izzy after she turns Sam down]: Well, she spoke.

Izzy [after opening Sam’s package that includes pickles and a new hat]: Bubbie, I’m being woo’d.
Bubbie: [in Yiddish] Vood? Vas is vood?

Izzy [after she receives Sam’s present]: Sam, I don’t want to do this. I just came by to thank you, that’s all. I’m really very, very flattered. You know, you ought to take all that good romantic energy that you have – and it is good – it’s creative and refreshing…and it won’t go unappreciated on the right woman…I wish there were a way that I could say this…
[a long pause]
Sam: You did fine.
[then he turns and walks away]

Izzy [after the botched effort to introduce Sam and Marilyn]: It seemed like a good idea 48 hours ago. I’m sorry.
Sam: What are you sorry about? She’s great. She’s funny, honest, direct. Thanks.

Izzy [asking about Sam and Marilyn]: Did she tell you he sells pickles?
Rikki: Well, somebody has to.

Izzy: Maybe I could be handling this better…
Sam: Handling what? What are you handling, me?
Izzy: I don’t blame you for being annoyed…
Sam: You come to my stand, you invite me to dinner…to set me up with your girlfriend, you get your bubbie to drag me here. A guy could get a little tired of this routine.
Izzy: I didn’t…
Sam: What’s the problem here? It’s so small my world? You think it’s so provincial? You think it defines me? Is that it?
Izzy: No, no I don’t. I feel like I keep apologizing to you, like I can’t get it right.
[Sam gets into the elevator]
Izzy: Sam, I want to get it right.

Lionel [greeting Sam at the Saturday gathering]: Poetry?
Sam: Pickles.

Izzy: I’m Myla’s replacement.
Anton: Well, it’s not just secretarial. It’s much, much more. It’s reasearch, correspondence…
Izzy: How could I have been so stupid?
Anton: Izzy!
Izzy [rushing down the stairs]: Stupid…Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Sam [to Izzy]: Go ahead, say it. “Schmuck, what are you still doing here?!”[/b]

What family is perfect? And how many even come close? And is it really necessary to make a distinction between those in which the parents are gay and those in which the parents are straight?

In the modern world?

Which then begs the question: in the “modern world”, what does constitute perfection in a family?

Yes, of course I’m only being rhetorical.

This one? Two women raising two children. Which means that somewhere along the line they needed sperm. So, what happens when the sperm donor makes contact with this far from perfect family? And are the kids really all right here? Compared to, say, the parents and the sperm donor?

And then there is the whole question of making contact with the donor. It’s just sperm. Why would you want to meet the guy at the other end of it? Your “biological father”. Different strokes, I guess. I couldn’t possibly have cared less if I found out that the dad who raised me wasn’t my “real” father. It wouldn’t have changed anything about the shitty way in which I was raised. Or leastwise how I perceived it. It’s like this: suppose my ex-wife informed me that our daughter wasn’t my actual biological kid. It wouldn’t have changed how I felt about her one iota.

And then there is this: independent.co.uk/arts-enter … 41111.html

An article noting how many in the lesbian community were not exactly enthusiastic about how the film portrays, well, lesbians. I know I kept wondering about this myself. The writer/director though is a lesbian. She raised a kid with her partner. She also wrote and directed High Art.

On the other hand, how qualified am I to weigh in here? Well, aside from the fact that my ex-wife left me for another woman. On the other hand she is now remarried. To a man.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kids_A … ight_(film
trailer: youtu.be/bdDSqgZ87fM

IMDb

[b]When Jules is trying, awkwardly, to explain the reasons that lesbians might prefer to watch gay male pornography rather than porn showing two women together, one of the reasons she gives is that they always cast two straight woman pretending to be gay in those movies. Both Julianne Moore, who plays Jules, and Annette Bening, who plays Nic, are in their real lives straight actress pretending to be lesbians for this movie.

Much of the film is based upon co-writer and director Lisa Cholodenko’s relationship with her partner Wendy, who both had a son by a sperm donor. Cholodenko dedicated the film to them. [/b]

THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT [2010]
Written in part and directed by Lisa Cholodenko

[b]Tanya: You must of figured you’d get a call at some point.
Paul: Not really. I mean I was 19 when I did it. It was so long ago…I just figured no one actually used my stuff.
Tanya: Why? I’d use it.

Joni: Actually, my brother asked if I’d call you because I’m 18 and he’s only 15 which is too young to call-- anyway, he’d like to meet you…if you want to…
Paul (thrown for a loop): Your brother?
Joni: Yeah. Well, technically my half- brother. Each of my moms had a kid, you know, with your sperm…
Paul: No. I didn’t know. Both of them? Like in two?
Joni: Uh huh. Like in gay.
Paul: Good deal. I love lesbians.

Joni: Okay. I’m just saying he might be weird. I mean, he donated sperm…
Laser: Well if he hadn’t done it, you wouldn’t be here.

Laser: Why do you guys watch gay man-porn?
Jules: Well, sweetie, human sexuality is complicated. And sometimes, people’s desires can be…counter- intuitive… For instance, since women’s sexual responsiveness is mostly internal, sometimes it’s exciting for us to see sexual responsiveness more, you know…externalized. Like with a penis.
Laser: But like, wouldn’t you rather watch two women doing it?
Jules: You would think that. But in most of those movies, they’ve hired two straight women to pretend and the inauthenticity is just unbeara–
Nic: Okay, that’s enough!

Nic: Laser, your mom and I have a sense there’s some other stuff going on in your life and we just want to be let in.
Laser: What do you mean?
Jules: Are you having a relationship with someone?
Nic: You could tell us, honey. We’d understand and support you.
Laser [looking confused thinking they are talking about Paul]: I just met him once.
Nic: What do you mean once?
Jules: Did he find you on-line?!
Laser: What?!
Nic: Who did you meet once?
Laser: Paul! I met him with Joni.
Nic: Who’s Paul?!
Jules: Why was Joni there?!
Laser: She set it up.
Nic: Forget the set-up! Who is Paul?!!
Laser: Our sperm donor. Wait, did you guys think I was gay?!

Nic: I remember reading in your file, back when we were looking for, you know, sperm, anyway, you said you were studying international relations.
Paul: Oh yeah. Wow, that was a long time ago. Yeah, I was considering it, but then I dropped out of school.
Joni: You dropped out of college?
Paul: Yeah, it wasn’t my thing.
Nic: No? Why’s that?
Paul: It just seemed like a massive waste of money after a while. I mean, I wasn’t “doing” anything. I was just sitting on my ass listening to people spout off ideas I could’ve just as easily learned reading a book. I’m not saying higher learning uniformly sucks. I mean, college is great for some people.

Jules: Personally, I’m tired of minimal. I’m into more is more. Let’s not try to tame the space. I think it would look great all lush and overgrown and fecund…
Paul: Fecund?
Jules: I’m sorry, you know, fertile…
Paul: No, I love that word. Fecund. You just don’t hear it that often. More is more. Yeah. Let’s do that.

Sasha: I’m just saying, the spermster’s a hottie. Is he single?
Joni: Okay, first of all: Ew. And second, he’s a really good person, so I prefer it if you didn’t taint him with your “whore youth”.
Sasha: Fair enough, hairy muff.

Laser: Can I ask you something? Why did you donate your sperm?
Paul: Because it seemed like a lot more fun than donating blood.

Paul: I’m just making an observation.
Nic: Yeah? Well I need your observations like I need a dick in my ass!

Jules [to Nic]: Are you even attracted to me anymore?

Nic: You’re sleeping with him, aren’t you.
Jules [freaked out]: What?!
Nic: Just be honest with me. Don’t make me feel crazier than I feel right now!
Jules: Where is this coming from?!
Nic: I found your hair in his drain!
Jules (scrambling): What? I was working. I got dirty so I took a shower.
Nic: Oh yeah? You take a nap, too?
[Jules pauses a second too long…she knows the jig is up]
Nic: Are you in love with him?!
Jules: No!
Nic: What, are you straight now?!
Jules: No. It has nothing to do with that!
[pause]
Jules: I’ve just felt so cut off from you lately…
Nic: Oh, right, so it’s my fault!
Jules: No! Who said anything about fault? Just listen to me! I just needed…
Nic: What? To be fucked?
Jules: No, appreciated!
Nic: It’s always what I’m not doing for you, isn’t it? Well here’s what I don’t to you. I don’t work out my issues by fucking other people!
Jules: He’s not just “other people!”
Nic: No, you had to go fuck our sperm donor! You couldn’t have picked a more painful way to hurt me…

Jules [to Laser]: I wish you were gay, you’d be much more sensitive.

Jules [to her family]: I need to say something. It’s no big secret your mom and I are in hell right now, and… Bottom line is, marriage is hard. Its really fucking hard. Just two people slogging through the shit, year after year, getting older, changing. Its a fucking marathon, okay? So, sometimes, you know, you’re together so long, that you just…You stop seeing the other person. You just see weird projections of your own junk. Instead of talking to each other, you go off the rails and act grubby and make stupid choices, which is what I did. And I feel sick about it because I love you guys, and I love your mom, and that’s the truth. Sometimes you hurt the ones you love the most. I don’t know why. You know, if I read more Russian novels, then…I just wanted to say how sorry I am for what I did. I hope you’ll forgive me eventually. Thank you.[/b]

Coming of age in a very small town. A “village” as it were.

And working class doesn’t even come close to describing it. Aside from those on the other side of the tracks.

One is smart as a whip, struggling to foot the bill for college. Yale. Another is a small town gal with small town ambitions. The third is Julia Roberts: beautiful, built and intent on crashing parties over at the country club. Stick figures to be sure. Just like all the rest of them. But somewhere in there are the actual flesh and blood renditions.

Best of friends naturally. Though [let’s just say] with eclectic taste in men. One of them isn’t even an asshole. He’s not smart enough to be. Or so some might argue.

So, will it make you wish you could live in a town like Mystic? Or will you thank your lucky stars that you never will. Or [for some of us] that you never will again.

Look for Matt Damon. His first feature film. In a role that Ben Affleck auditioned for too. Some “role”. I mean, what the hell can it really mean to audition for the role of…Steamer?

IMDb

Mystic Pizza is a real pizza parlor, located at 55 West Main St. in Mystic, Connecticut. Writer Amy Jones was vacationing in Mystic one summer, saw the pizza parlor and was inspired to write the story. After the movie came out, the real Mystic Pizza shop became so popular, lines would stretch to the sidewalk and patrons would regularly steal mementos from the restaurant.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystic_Pizza
trailer: youtu.be/mSbrULyuyAw

MYSTIC PIZZA [1988]
Directed by Donald Petrie

Priest: Be seated.
[pause]
Priest: We’re gathered here to witness and bless the joining together forever of William and Josefina in Christian marriage. The firm covenant of marriage is permanent in this lifetime because it was established by God, and once entered into it may never be broken without risk of eternal damnation. So we ask you now, in the presence of God, family, and friends, to declare your intentions to enter a binding and permanent union with one another for as long as you both shall draw breath on this earth.

The look on Jojo’s face here [before she faints dead away] is absolutely priceless.

[b]Daisy: Jesus Christ, these shoes are killing me.
Kat: Daisy, do you have to talk like that?
Daisy: Oh, excuse me, Holy Mother. I’m sorry, what I meant to say is, ‘These fucking shoes are killing me.’

Jojo [explaining the wedding fiasco to Kat and Daisy]: I saw myself ten years from now, fat and ugly and all these kids swarming around me. And then I was picking fish scales out of Bill’s boots! But I did do the right thing though, didn’t I?
Kat: Sure, you did.
Daisy: The only reason to get married is to get out of Mystic.

Daisy [handing Kat a box of pizza]: Kiss Mom for me.
Kat: No, I’ll be late for my interview.
Daisy: Well, then you better hurry!
Kat: I’ve been there three times this week.
Daisy: Four, and you go to Heaven!
[Kat leaves]
Daisy [to Leona]: Kat, such a good girl. Where did we go wrong with her sister Daisy?

Leona: Honey, you’d do just fine if you just used your head a little more.
Daisy: Yeah, well, don’t worry about me. I’m not gonna be slingin’ pizza for the rest of my life.
Leona: The best pizza!

Tim: So, is there a history of insanity in your family?
Kat: They say it skips a generation.

Daisy: Charles?
Charles: Charles Gordon Windsor. Junior.
Daisy: Figures.

Daisy: Looks to me like he is putting the moves on you.
Kat: You’re disgusting.
Daisy: Okay, I’m disgusting. But just in case…
[she leaves the room but then comes back with a box of condoms…which she tosses to Kat]
Dasiy: The guy wears them.

Bill [looking up at a bust of Jesus]: I can’t do it with him staring at us.

Daisy [after dumping a barrel full of dead fish in Charles’s Porsche convertible]: I fucked up.
Charles: Yeah…but you gave it a 100% effort!

Bill: Your parent’s place. My parent’s place. Your sister’s apartment. The damned john at the pizza parlor. I’m tellin you Jo, I love you…doesn’t that mean anything to you. I think that when people love each other they make a commitment. They should have a wedding in a church, with the blessings of God for Christ sakes. Don’t you get it, Jo? I’m tell you that I love you…and all you love is my dick! Do you know how that makes me feel? Do you?

Daisy: Just what the hell do you two do together anyway, that’s what I’d like to know.
Kat: If I told you it would sound stupid.
Daisy: It would sound pathetoc. Daddy boffing the babysitter is a really old story, Kat.
Kat: We talk, we read, we listen to Mozart sometimes.
Daisy: Do you really believe this 30 year old guy is going to leave his wife and come live with you? You’re living in a fucking romance novel!
Kat: Oh, yeah. Boffing, fucking, screwing. The great Daisy, nobody’s fool. Why don’t you start taking cash for your services, it would be more honest!

Daisy: What happened?
Kat [sitting on the bed crying]: She came back tonight.
Daisy: Shit…
Kat; He just stood there. He didn’t even say a word to me.
Daisy [trying to comfort her]: It’s going to be tough…but you’ll make it.
Kat: I just feel so stupid.
[she turns and looks at Daisy]
Kat: Why does it hurt so much?
Daisy: I’ll get you a cup of tea.
Kat: No, please. Please just stay with me.
[Daisy takes her in her arms and holds her]

Leona [after the Fireside Gourmet leaves the restaurant]: Someone ought to ram fried goat cheese up his ass.

Daisy [looking in the refrigerator]: Lobsters for breakfast, lobsters for lunch. Fucking lot of lobsters here.

Mom: All I want is for you to make something of yourself!
Daisy: Yeah, well I’m not going to go to Yale, you’re just going to have to deal with it.
Mom: I don’t expect you to go to Yale. I’m just so worried about you.
Daisy [more soberly]: Yeah. Me too.

Charles: They were being real jerks. I couldn’t let them do that to you. They deserved it.
Daisy: The only jerk at that table was you. They were just being themselves.
[pause]
Daisy: Bring home the poor Portuguese girlfriend for dinner…shake up the family for dinner.
Charles: That’s not true.
Daisy: I’m poor and I hate it, I admit it. I even thought I weas desparate but I’m not half as desparate as you are. I would never use you to get at somebody. Your father didn’t cheat his way out of law school. You did that all on your own. Deal with it, Junior.
[pause]
Daisy: You’re not even good enough for me.[/b]