Spirituality

You have not said anything about the relationship between secular humanism and spirituality.

many secular humanists I know are very spiritual and happy and healthy and hopeful…

So are many Christians I know.

Progressive Christianity often teaches that love takes precedence over all rules or laws. This was the message of Jesus that “organized” religion forgot.

you are absolutely right ier…the authority of the church is maintained by money…it is true in my church…

many secular humanists I know are very spiritual and happy and healthy and hopeful…
[/quote]
Progressive Christianity often teaches that love takes precedence over all rules or laws. This was the message of Jesus that “organized” religion forgot.
[/quote]
you are absolutely right ier…the authority of the church is maintained by money…it is true in my church…
[/quote]
how is the message of jesus different from the message of tao or buddha

lol No, phyllo I am not his Mom. I have my own to care for and my cat. I was answering your question for myself - not answering for the little green thing.
And this too is not answering for him but rest assured he is quite capable of answering for himself. This I intuit.

How do they display their spirituality? What do they do, say or think which is spiritual? How do they define spirit?

And how does this relate to the fact that they are secular humanists?
When they became SH, did they change their concept of spirit? Did they retain the concept of spirit but simply drop religious dogma? Do they believe in an immortal spirit but without a god?

Okay.

He routinely avoids answering. It would do him good if he had to answer. He is missing an opportunity to grow and improve.

I think he is quite correct to distance spirit from belief.

In my view when you start to append collections of beliefs to the matter of the spirit you are constraining and controlling your spirit with chains of devotion.
Our spirit is what the lion has when its runs down its prey; what a lioness has in the love of her cubs. A dog’s joy in snuffling the earth on the trail of a rabbit shows great spirit. What need they of the confines of religion?

Despite religion.

Christianity teaches nothing of the sort.

A spirit needs no teaching in any event.

The spirit does not need the permission of religion, it does not need direction; nor does it need to be dictated to.

Lev,

I kind of agree with this. I think that all a spirit needs is to be nourished, nurtured and in order to do that, it needs to pay attention, to see, to wonder, to stand in awe. So I do agree with you in the way you would nurture it - taking nice walks, good music, good books, beholding nature, drinking in everything beautiful and solemn…

Would you agree or disagree with this? It’s okay if you disagree.

jesus and Buddha and the tao guy started out talking about how to live…those guys were not religions…

:text-datsphatyo:

Jesus says there’s a Guy who cares about you. They others say that you are on your own.

Are there no progressive Christians here? Doesn’t the OP mean anything?
Progressive Christian meetings are more like gatherings than churches. They teach that there is something in the world that is more important than themselves. That is love. ACIM teaches that all are spiritual, but that we have simply forgotten who we are. Anyone here familiar with A Course in Miracles? With the Universalist/Unitarian Church? Why are we stuck at bashing fundy dogma?

Progressive Christians tend to incorporate other ideas into their beliefs. They might look at Eastern religions/philosophies and notice the similarities. I think that’s why Turtle mentioned Tao and Buddha.

Correct. ACIM is mostly Eastern philososphy.