The passion of Christ

Thats fine but your still not answering how come you just skip over all the other seeming logic in believing christ was real. I mentioned this above.

As lostguy pointed out in that thread you directed us to. You still have,nt given an opinion on why you dismiss so many people,s opinions.

Who is asking you anything ???
This tread was started by person who have person called Jesus on His mind,
as someone who existed Historicaly.
Why are you such a Buzzkill ??
As I said, you have absolute right to feel whatever you please, and you are
good soul and Spirit in my book.
But this is just bad taste dude, total lack of respect .

much respect !

What, precisely, did I not adress in that thread?
What ‘compelling evidence’ was given that I did not offer refutation for?
What ‘seeming logic’ do you speak of?

He does have a point.

(Just some additional thoughts on the subject of historical Jesus).

Dr.Satanical wrote: (in the link he provided)

Josephus also mentions “Jesus” not just Christians: “About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man” (Antt. 18:63). And Tacitus calls him Christus, the founder. These two accounts indicate that both Josephus and Tacitus thought there was a charismatic figure at the root of the movement. As for the age of the sources and the fact that these were not first-hand accounts, yes, both of these points can create a little legitimate skepticism. However, even a healthy dose of academic doubt cannot honestly say these sources mean nothing. They both clearly indicate that in antiquity the historicity of Jesus was accepted as factual by two of that time’s most intellectual men.

As for the “myth” element surrounding Jesus, my personal take on it is that the mythic qualities and many of the miracles were added onto the figure of Jesus of Nazareth to enhance his transformation into Jesus the Christ. I think they were attached onto the historical Jesus much like the story of George Washington cutting down the cherry tree is attached to the U.S.‘s first president. There is no historic accuracy behind the story, yet it still depicts an aspect of the character that was real, for example Washington’s integrity (or perhaps Jesus’ egalitarianism exemplified in the miracles). To me the real radical nature and power of Jesus’ life has actually been covered too much by the more hyperbolic claims. His miracles were more about defying society than defying natural laws. But again, that is just my take on it. I don’t see the mythic elements as any proof (whatsoever) against the reality of Jesus of Nazareth.

Here are some other non-Christian references to a Jesus figure:

Josephus, Jewish aristocrat (actually mentions Jesus twice)

1. In the text I cited already (Antt. 18.63)
  2. And mention of Jesus as the brother of James (Antt. 20:200)

Rabbinic Sources:

1. Jesus as one who leads the people astray. (bSanh 43a).

Mara bar Sarapion: A Syrian stoic/philosopher

1. Writes briefly on the ‘wise king of the Jews’ of that time. (but no reference to Jesus’ name).

Roman writers and statesmen on “Christus” founder of the Christian sect:

1. Pliny the Younger (61-c.120)
  2. Tacitus (55/56-c.120)
  3. Suetonius (70-c.130)
  4. The lost text of Thallus (c.52 C.E.) believed to have mentioned the crucifixion of Jesus, this text is mentioned in other surviving texts.

Keep in mind that Jerusalem was destroyed in 70 C.E., so other relevant sources may have been lost then.

:sunglasses: Josephus, a Jewish, but very Romanized historian wrote regarding Jesus. The man did exist.

No Shit! Read about the man in an academic text, he was a butcher. Gibson has his Roman Catholic agenda and does not know beans regarding history. Squat is known about William Wallace, aka Braveheart and Gibson has him doing the Queen of France, what rubbish. :unamused:

:sunglasses: Couldn’t agree more FtheNaysayer. Pilate did exist, was brutal. Most of the laws were Roman, and Jesus saying he was who he thought he was, Rome believe to be a threat.

The Josephus writings on jesus are a forgery, so scratch that one.
But first things first. Josephus was not a contemporary historian. He was born in the year 37 C.E., several years after Jesus’ alleged death. There is no way he could have known about Jesus from is own personal experience. At best, he could have recorded the activities of the new cult of Christianity, and what they said about their crucified leader. So, even if Josephus wrote about Jesus, it is not a credible source. The Same goes for tacitus, born much later.
That’s it? The fact that a cult exists, and is therefore mentioned by historians, in no way supports the claims made by said cult.

Odd that the historians of ‘jesus’ own time made no mention of this great messiah, going about and doing miracles and pissing off ‘the man’
There would certainly be more than a few mentions of a guy going around doing things like that.

If not, and if you are willing to concede the borrowed mithraic and egyption mythology incorperated into the bible and admit most of the jesus story is borrowed, that leaves you with a no-miracle havin’ jesus claiming to be the son of god.
So what? I can come up with 3 guys like that just walking downtown.

For the record, I know, or at least evidence suggests, that pilate did live and die. Because that evidence exists, I have no reason to question that fact. See how this works?
But his existance does not in any way imply jesus existance.
On the contrary, the romans kept extensive and detailed records of…everything. knowing precisely where to look for evidence of jesus and coming up empty is suspicious at best.
You can claim that the evidence was later destroyed, but that still leaves us with nothing.

Actually, no one is sure regarding exactly when Jesus lived as the Chistmas was set to attract pagans to the new faith during the winter solstice. Hum, I believe you are mistaken regarding Josephus not writing regarding Jesus. Granted, it might have been after the his death, but Josephus wrote regarding Masada approximatley 70 years after the CE or AD period. I will have to check. Damn, all my texts are in So. Cal., so I will again have to be what AD called me “A Google Philosopher.” :sunglasses:

So, do we hold all historical evidence to the standard of contemporary, first-hand experience in order to be “credible”? If so, then we’ve got to chuck much of what we take as recorded history. – Just saying that the standard expected here to somehow “prove” Jesus would fail to prove most historical figures.

Ultimately, one cannot prove ancient to medieval history, you can only interpret the evidence to find how likely it was that such a thing occurred. And while trying to interpret the evidence for or against an illiterate, transient rebel, it might help to remember the maxim that history is often written by the victors, and a Jewish man nailed to a tree was obviously not the victor in the eyes of his non-believing contemporaries.

From all this, of course one can argue that Jesus of Nazareth didn't exist at all, (people have been doing that for a long time), but in my view it actually takes more [i]faith[/i] to believe Jesus is ALL mythology than to believe that some guy named Jesus did live, caused some trouble, and was executed, from which an elaborate system of belief evolved over the next couple centuries.    

Ultimately, how important to you is it that Jesus didn't exist?

How about giving a reason why you decide more than half the world is deluded?

[.quote]No, of course not, just read Homer, who wrote the Illiad 300 years after the sacking of Troy. And Troy was considered a myth until Schullman (sp) discovered what is believe to be the ruins of Troy in the late 1800’s. Most, if not all legends have a kernal of truth at their core.

Much of the writing in The Library of Alexandria survived, medieval times produced, hum, I believe it was Oxford University, and Jews were and still are well read folk as they want to know God’s word.

If you discussing Jesus, no, Jews, even 2000+ years ago were literate, it is part of the culture.

True.

It has been years since I delved into Christianity, but I believe Jesus the man did exist.

Many of those who fear religion, and I am one, often try to disprove the existence of Jesus, Moses, etc. As a historian, this is a useless escape endeavor, similar to saying Ghandi or Mohammed did not exist.

:smiley:

Here.

What people believe has no relevance or bearing on the truth.
Most people are easilly fooled.
In fact, most people are downright stupid.

…So I supose because you didn’t answer my questions, it is because you have no answers…?

I thought it was a damned fine movie, actually. Very well acted, nice direction, and a good visual style. I don’t believe in the JC God, but c’mon, I don’t believe in Martians or vampires, either, but I enjoy sci-fi films.

So you are cleverer than most people?

What questions are they?

POI,

By leaps and bounds.

Look two posts above your post whoring double post, to your last post, and maybe read the text you quoted me on this time. I realize, knowing everything as you do, reading and responding to other peoples opinions and questions may be beneath you, but humor me.